Computer Geeks Unite! And farging help me!

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2006, 08:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigEd76

nm

Tomahawk

SD

Any recommendations for a decent color printer? I'm getting one for someone as a gift, preferably in the $50-$100 range. Came across some that looked decent but had mixed reviews.

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Eagaholic

Quote from: Diomedes on November 03, 2010, 06:47:40 AM
How the hell could we know if it's the wire or the magic box?  No, it's not cheap to replace unless you want to go with a Chinese epro, which uses unicorn hair instead of copper.

that's just wrong. leave it to idiot chinese to be taking shtein from an endangered species

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: SD on December 01, 2010, 08:30:54 PM
Any recommendations for a decent color printer? I'm getting one for someone as a gift, preferably in the $50-$100 range. Came across some that looked decent but had mixed reviews.

For $50-100 you are going to get what you pay for. I'd recommend an all-in-one HP. Whatever you find at Target/Walmart/Best Buy, etc.

The problem with a $75 printer is, like razors, once you need to refill the ink (or blades with the razors) you are spending the same amount on ink what you paid for the printer originally.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

SD

Walgreens refills ink cartridges for cheap - like $6-8

Sgt PSN

So I was able to purchase Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 for $10.00 through a gov't program.  I've never upgraded my Office product on any of my pc's before so I'm curious as to how installing a new version might impact me. 

1.  Upon install, does it overwrite existing Office software and remove it from my computer or do I still need to go to add/remove programs and manually remove the older Office programs?  Can I leave the old versions in place in case I decide I prefer them to the new ones?   

2.  Will the new version of Outlook automatically pull all of my contact/calander/tasks info from the old version or do I have to manually import that stuff too? 

3.  Anyone use the 2010 version?  Thoughts or suggestions about it? 

PhillyPhanInDC

2010 is pretty decent, much better than 2007. It's backwards compatible, and you'll be prompted to move to the new format when you open older version items. It'll overwrite/upgrade your old version of Office, again prompting you to uninstall anything it doesn't need.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

SD

Quote from: PhillyPhanInDC on December 02, 2010, 09:30:53 AM
Quote from: SD on December 01, 2010, 08:30:54 PM

For $50-100 you are going to get what you pay for. I'd recommend an all-in-one HP. Whatever you find at Target/Walmart/Best Buy, etc.

The problem with a $75 printer is, like razors, once you need to refill the ink (or blades with the razors) you are spending the same amount on ink what you paid for the printer originally.

Went with this one.. It doesn't tell you the price until you put it in your cart but it sells for $104 with free shipping.

ice grillin you

lets say you download a seven minute song...and the first three minutes of it is an awful intro of some sort...is there a computer program out there...preferably a free one...that can edit the file and take out the intro so that when you burn the mp3 to a disc it will just be the song itself
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

Do you know anyone with Adobe Audition? If I was still at the Fanatic I could hook a brother up.

ice grillin you

never heard of it...im guessing its not free or you wouldnt be asking if i knew someone who has it

is it really easy to use?

SD

It's definitely not free but it's fairly easy to use. Once you load the song into the program all you'd have to do is highlight, delete, then save what you want. That part is easy, using multitrack and adding sounds together can get tricky.

ice grillin you

yeah im not trying nor do i have the ability to get compter saavy...i just wanna edit out certain parts of songs