Computer Geeks Unite! And farging help me!

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2006, 08:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shorebird

I downloaded a tool directly from the McAfee site called Stinger, but had no luck with it. This eco antivirus thing is brand new and Stinger isn't updated for it. No wonder it was free, friggen' MaCafee wants 90 buck for the real thing.

Munson

Anyone know of any good deals on laptops going on this friday? I've heard Acers are gonna be selling for 200 somet places, but have no idea what places those are. I've also read that Staples will be selling HP's for 299.99. What would be my best option if I'm just looking for something basic?
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Father Demon

The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

Diomedes

how do I set "details" as the default view when browsing files in XP?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

The BIGSTUD

Try setting it to details. Then going to tools - folder options and then clicking the view tab and hit apply to all folders.

It might only do sub-folders though. Try and see if it works. I would check for myself, but I'm not on XP right now so I'm thinking from memory.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

a buddy of mine has a full version of windows 7 that he said i could install on my computer if i want.  the thought had crossed my mind about getting windows 7 to use for the next year or so until i can convert everything to mac and since i don't have to pay for this copy, i'm strongly considering it.  some questions though since i've never installed a new os on a computer:

1.  do i need to put all of my files/music/videos/etc on an external?  i'll do it anyway but just wondering if it's actually required.

2.  what happens to any additional software i've purchased online and did a direct download and don't have an installation disk for?  is there a way for me to put it on disk or move it to my external or am i s.o.l?

3.  i know i've got some malware and spyware that i picked up recently that i haven't been able to get rid of.  will installing a new os wipe all of that out or should i expect it to still be there? 

4.  anyone here using windows 7 or even vaguely familiar with it?  if so, what do you think?  it has to be better than vista. 

5.  how complicated is it?  is there anything i need to be aware of or do i just put the disk in and let the computer do the rest?

Munson

I ended up getting an HP with Windows 7. I don't have any complaints about the operating system itself. Don't really know enough about computers and shtein to say much else.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Sgt PSN

here's a completely different question:

does anyone know of any software or something that will automatically adjust the volume levels of .mp3's to make the actual volume the same from song to song?  it seems like every cd i own was recorded at a different volume and when i'm either playing through itunes on my computer or through my ipod there's a sometimes dramatic difference in volume.  that shtein's farging annoying. 

Susquehanna Birder

Apparently iTunes has something for leveling the gain, but it's not an easy thing to accomplish. I think you have to have it enabled before you import files, and you have to have your iPod set properly. I made an attempt at using it, but I wasn't very successful at it.

Sgt PSN

i know you can go into each song file and manually adjust the volume level, but that would take for freaking ever to do that for 5000+ songs.  guess i'll have to spend some time googling it since i'm sure there's got to be some sort of message board full of apple/ipod geeks out there who know how to do it. 

Susquehanna Birder

Post what you find out, so the rest of us won't have to work for the answer.

Sgt PSN

i highly doubt i'll even do it to begin with.  but should the mood strike and i actually give it a go, i'll update appropriately. 

also, i know you're a bit of a computer geek.....  any suggestions/input on my post before the itunes question? 

Susquehanna Birder

I didn't respond because I was disqualified by #4 in your post. I've never used it, and I have no familiarity with it at all. But I'll give it a shot.

I think if you are putting a new installation of Windows 7 on, it'll want a clean/formatted hard drive. There might be a path available to just install the upgrade, but it's an outside chance. If nothing else, wiping the drive will get rid of everything, including malware. You will definitely want to back up and/or copy the stuff you want to keep.

For downloaded stuff, it depends on the program and/or company. If there is a serial number, license key, or some other record of you actually owning the program, it's possible that you will be able to install it again at no additional cost. There are times, though, when this doesn't work. And if a company has since come up with a later version of the program, they might not let you download and install the previous version that you had - meaning they will force you to buy the current version. This is all pretty variable, though, so I can't give you a definite answer.

One thing you'll have to consider is that by using an unlicensed copy of Windows, you won't be able to register it, and you won't get all the patches and security fixes that become available.

Anyway, it's not terribly complicated. You put the disk in, boot to the CD/DVD drive, and follow the prompts.

PhillyGirl

OK, so my boss needs us to start using the Exchange server at work.

I use a Macbook and work from my home office.

How in the hell do I do this?
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen