Computer Geeks Unite! And farging help me!

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2006, 08:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs246

So, my home PC runs slow as shtein these days. It freezes (rarely) but has been acting flaky in general for several months. Do any of you clowns have a registry-cleaner or general operating system trouble-shooting tool that you have used that actually works? I know that this is a common problem and I would rather not have to pay the pimple-faced nerd buckets at Best Buy to do something that I can do myself.

And Mussa, please keep the 'Get a Mac' comments to yourself.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

mussa

Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

mussa

Whenever my Mac starts acting weird(yes it can happen) the first thing I do is make sure all my applications/software is updated. I have quite a few freeware applications that are not apple products, but are created for the mac. They depend on you getting software updates for them, most will pop up as, a new update is available. I'd make sure that stuff is good to go first.
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

reese125

Quote from: rjs246 on September 24, 2009, 11:19:24 AM
So, my home PC runs slow as shtein these days. It freezes (rarely) but has been acting flaky in general for several months. Do any of you clowns have a registry-cleaner or general operating system trouble-shooting tool that you have used that actually works? I know that this is a common problem and I would rather not have to pay the pimple-faced nerd buckets at Best Buy to do something that I can do myself.

And Mussa, please keep the 'Get a Mac' comments to yourself.

depending how old it is and what you have downloaded on it it, could very well be that you just need to add memory to it. very easy

also might need to run a defrag to compress some files if you havent done so. if youre unsure how to do it..google the bitch..its very easy to do

phattymatty

ice grillin you

anyone know how to change a M4A music file to an MP3 or something that windows media player will recognize
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

LBIggle

Sgt PSN

anyone running windows 7 yet?  it's gotta be better than vista as that might be the worst os microsoft has come out with for personal computers.  i'd actually like to just get rid of windows all together but switching over to mac be too expensive at the time.  i've got a desktop that runs xp and my laptop has vista. 

i bought the desktop right as vista was coming out and was told that it could easily handle the vista os if i decided to "upgrade" to it at a later date.  then 2 years later i bought the laptop with vista on it and knew i didn't want to put that crap on my desktop as well. 

so i'm thinking that my desktop should be able to handle windows 7 if it can handle vista, which is a hard drive sucking pile of crap. 

so the question is, would i be better off buying the full windows 7 and putting it on both computers or is xp still better and should i consider just buying the windows 7 upgrade pack to put on my laptop so i can get rid of vista? 

since i mentioned mac, i was looking at one in the store the other day and noticed there doesn't seem to be any ports of any kind on it.  how do you hook them up to external things like printers or the satellite receiver for recording tv?  is it all wireless?

shorebird

My daughter's pc's video card has crapped out. Dell Dimension 4600. Can't find a card for less than $50 bucks on ebay. Any of you geeks know of anywere to get a cheaper one?

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

shorebird

Thanks Biscuit. Now I have another problem. Anti Eco virus, a fake anti virus has gotten' in my pc. I have McAfee, which removed it and it's icons, or so I thought. I still get the little yellow bar at the top of my screen when I open a new site, so I guess it's not completely gone. I googled it and the only option I've found is other software to be installed to get rid of it. I pay for McAfee for this stuff, why won't it get totally rid of this crap?

General_Failure

Anti-virus programs are more preventative programs instead of removal programs. Very specific tools sometimes are written to remove persistent viruses.

shorebird

So I will have to install more unkown software to get rid of the phishing software?

General_Failure

If the software is coming from a reputable site, yes.

After a quick bit of searching, I would recommend restarting in safe mode and having McAfee check again to get rid of the last of it.