Computer Geeks Unite! And farging help me!

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2006, 08:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanshin

Quote from: Diomedes on January 11, 2009, 08:47:45 AM
so now that I've got all this music from vigy in .wma format, I want a program that will convert them to .mp3 files so I can play them back with something other than a Microsoft product

any suggestions?

I've used a bunch of freeware that works well.  Go to download.com and search for music converters.  Check out the reviews and ratings and give one a shot.

Diomedes

I know it's crazy of me to ask you folks if you have a suggestion before I throw myself on the mercies of the google universe.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Zanshin

Try MediaCoder.  Works pretty well and it's free.

SD_Eagle5

First IST 110 class this morning

Pro's:
Professor is a schmuck
He was in the Navy

Cons:
He's a schmuck
He's a Giants fan

SD_Eagle5

First lab assignment, the questions are a joke but you have to do this 10 page report for each one:

3. What do you think will be the most significant information technology
advancement be in the next five years (between now and 2014)?

Any ideas from you tech savvy folks?

Diomedes

Quote from: SD_Eagle on January 15, 2009, 10:15:17 AM3. What do you think will be the most significant information technology advancement be in the next five years (between now and 2014)?

Is this a verbatim quote from the assignment?

If so, I suggest you write a paper about the abolition of tenure and how the subsequent purging of illiterate, careless, stupid teachers from our schools will result in much better teaching of all things, including information technologies.  Be.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Diomedes on January 15, 2009, 10:26:10 AM
Quote from: SD_Eagle on January 15, 2009, 10:15:17 AM3. What do you think will be the most significant information technology advancement be in the next five years (between now and 2014)?

Is this a verbatim quote from the assignment?

yes...the write up we have to do for these questions is absurd. 10 pages with a cover sheet, table of contents, observations, constraints etc. And grammar, spelling and punctuation are strictly graded.

Diomedes

Tell the professor he gets an F for grammar on the question be.

reese125

if I was to start I might go into the use of solar energy on a more wide-scale approach

a topic already discussed--the advancement of batteries for use in cars

maybe even looking at the use of holography (virtual reality) for architectural designs, educating students and medicine.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: reese125 on January 15, 2009, 10:35:07 AM
if I was to start I might go into the use of solar energy on a more wide-scale approach

a topic already discussed--the advancement of batteries for use in cars

maybe even looking at the use of holography (virtual reality) for architectural designs, educating students and medicine.

Thanks....that was actually pretty helpful

Diomedes

If you're going to talk about holography, you should focus on it's application in data storage.  That's far more broad reaching than simply using it for marketing or education.

Another subject worth discussing is computing without the computer...that is, we're moving toward the model of paying for processing power storage and bandwidth, and away from having our own individual machines.  Pay a service, log on from home and your desktop appears over the tubes. Access from anywhere, etc.

Mob computing/programming in open source is another possible subject.

SD_Eagle5

good stuff, dio. I gathered some of this stuff off the internet in the lab this morning but the information is really scattered.

General_Failure

The obvious answer is the Sex Box, especially if they can get some WiFi in there.

The man. The myth. The legend.

phattymatty

government-created killer nano-robot infections

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.