Computer Geeks Unite! And farging help me!

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2006, 08:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

mussa

i was going to post the other day where the hell has he been? trickster...

Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Susquehanna Birder

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on September 02, 2008, 08:00:48 AM
he needs to use a proxy server

If his work is anything like mine, they have a pretty good idea where the proxies are, and they block them, as well.

Phanatic

Anyone know about video editing shtuff. I have some video from two different cameras that I'd like combined into one somehow making it cool. Also the audio's not great but better on one camera over the other. Wondering if there's a way to enhance the audio in some way and combine the video. I could also sync the video to recorded music too I suppose. Anyway to do this without buying a $400 piece of software like Adobe?
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

MURP

yes, there are many video editing programs that are available to beginners who don't need advanced features and thus are fairly inexpensive.   MACS come with Imovie, but I'm guessing you dont have a MAC if your asking this question.    You can actually pick up Adobe Premier Elements for under $100 which would serve your purpose if you are more comfortable using Adobe products.   There are many other cheap options as well Pinnacle Studio, Video Studio etc.     As far as enhancing audio, depending on how bad it is your probably not going to be able to do much to make it sound good unless you know someone who has professional experience to help you out.  Even then there may not be much they can do to improve it.

Phanatic

Quote from: MURP on September 06, 2008, 09:23:52 PM
yes, there are many video editing programs that are available to beginners who don't need advanced features and thus are fairly inexpensive.   MACS come with Imovie, but I'm guessing you dont have a MAC if your asking this question.    You can actually pick up Adobe Premier Elements for under $100 which would serve your purpose if you are more comfortable using Adobe products.   There are many other cheap options as well Pinnacle Studio, Video Studio etc.     As far as enhancing audio, depending on how bad it is your probably not going to be able to do much to make it sound good unless you know someone who has professional experience to help you out.  Even then there may not be much they can do to improve it.

Cool man thanks. That's a start. Gonna have to bite the bullet and spend a lot of time in front of the computer on one of those.

Father Demon

Your nephew has a pretty nice video editing software package - Vegas Pro from Sony.  The trial gives you 30 days of all the bells and whistles, and if you like it I can probably assist on you getting the non-trial version *cough*hack*cough*
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

Phanatic

Even better! If I can get it done within 30 days I'm out!

ice grillin you

my desktop is on its last legs...i want to take all my music and word/excel documents and put them on my laptop

however someone suggested to me this weekend to not do that as it will slow down what is now a really good laptop...he said to get an external hard drive than can plug into my lap top and just put the music on that

is this a good way to go?

if so is there a particular kind/size/model ect that is better than another or are they all a pretty straight forward storage devices

also do laptops have quarter 1/8 inch or rca plugs on the back of them so that you can run your music from the laptop thruyour stereo speakers?

my desktop had that not sure if my laptop does tho and was wondering is thats standard on laptops
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Father Demon

I agree about putting those things on an external HD.  Depending on how much music you have, they are relatively cheap and you can probably get a 500 Gb or better for ~$100.  I have over 40,000 songs on an external, and they play fine through a standard USB port through iTunes.  WesternDigital is a good HD manufacturer. but I don't think there's much difference between brands.  I could be wrong though.  If you are real worried about losing the files in case of HD crash, buy two, and copy one drive to the other as a back up.

As for the RCA jacks - most laptops do not have these.  I don't know about any USB to RCA converters or adapters, but they may be out there.  What I do is use the speaker system for my laptop, run iTunes, and play my music either with playlists or randomly.
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

ice grillin you

thanks

i probably shouldnt have said rca jacks as my desktop didnt even have that...do laptops have any sort of audio jack on them outside of the headphone jack

or could you run a cable out of the headphone jack to a rca splitter then into your stereo receiver?

yeah i mos def dont wanna lose my music...is there a way to copy the music files off my desktop hd to my new external hd and still keep them on the desktop hd...in other words can you copy them from rather than take them off the desktop hd

Father Demon

Quote from: ice grillin you on September 30, 2008, 11:17:24 AM
yeah i mos def dont wanna lose my music...is there a way to copy the music files off my desktop hd to my new external hd and still keep them on the desktop hd...in other words can you copy them from rather than take them off the desktop hd

Yes - just open the folder with your music in it, and the new folder where you will put your music on the external.  Highlight all, copy, and paste in the new folder.  It might take a while, but then you'll have it in both places.

I don't know too much about the cabling issue.  Like I said - I use my laptop speakers, which plugs into the only output jack on my laptop (aside from the USB ports).

phattymatty

external is the way to go.  i have a 250 GM filled with music and movies.

i'm getting a new 500GB one.  you can get one at micro center online for $89.

ice grillin you

Quote from: phattymatty on September 30, 2008, 12:05:00 PM
external is the way to go.  i have a 250 GM filled with music and movies.

i'm getting a new 500GB one.  you can get one at micro center online for $89.

can you give me a link matty to the one you got or are getting

phattymatty

i meant compusa...

http://www.compusa.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=136

the one on the bottom left, the 500GB fantom, is the one i picked up.  my older one is a fantom and haven't had any problems in the last 3-4 years.