Sports Suffering Cities (updated thru '19 Washington Nationals)

Started by ice grillin you, January 28, 2006, 11:58:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

well if i paid off the comissioner im assuming id get a non anticlimatic world series...not the debacle that was that rain delay...id also love to beat a real team

if the phillies beat the red sox in the world series this year my life would basically be complete
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Don Ho

I still hate that son of a bitch Selig for that debacle. 
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 14, 2011, 09:47:00 PM
well if i paid off the comissioner im assuming id get a non anticlimatic world series...not the debacle that was that rain delay...id also love to beat a real team

if the phillies beat the red sox in the world series this year my life would basically be complete

another reason to root for them

1. you kill yourself
2. i get your money
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Don Ho on June 14, 2011, 09:59:25 PM
I still hate that son of a bitch Selig for that debacle. 

I'm no Selig apologist, but what was the guy supposed to do?  The weather was terrible and wasn't going to let up.  Yeah, he could have called the game before Tampa scored the tying run, but if he would have done that then everyone would be bitching about how the Phils won a series on a shortened game.  And really, would you want to see them win the series in a rain shortened, 5 inning game?  No one wants to see that.  Maybe you could argue that Selig should have let the Phils bat in the bottom of the 6th after Tampa tied it.  But he didn't want the series to end on a rain out and postponed play for 2 days.  And the only way he could suspend play was if the game was tied.  Had Tampa taken the lead in the 6th, the Phils would have batted in the bottom half and if they wouldn't have tied the game, it would have ended right there and game 6 would have been played in Tampa with the Phils leading 3-2.  There's a lot of things to bitch about with sports but the way Selig handled it isn't anywhere near the top of my list.  Phils won and I really don't give a damn that the game was played over the course of 2 days.  WFC, bitches.   

Don Ho

What pissed me off was MLB knew this massive storm front was moving in and at the rate WS games move the thing was going to hit during the middle of a possible series clinching game.  I agree, I could give a shtein if they played the thing in the banquet room of the Holiday Inn across the CBP parking lot.  Rain or shine, still one of the greatest feelings ever as a Philadelphia sports fan watching both game 5A and Game 5B.  The 5th and top of the 6th inning were the worst conditions I've ever seen a baseball game played in.  Remember Upton sliding into second?  He looked like a hydrofoil on Puget Sound.   
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Sgt PSN

So you would have preferred that they just postponed the game from the get go.  Ideally, that probably would have been the best decision.  But then you'd really be pissing off a lot of fans who spent money on tickets for that game who may not have been able to attend the rescheduled game.  Granted, that would probably make up less than 5% of those in attendance, but I'm sure it's something that they took into consideration. 

Geowhizzer

Yeah, just looking at the weather report at the beginning of the game, and (of course after the fact) the result of trying to play, they should never have started that game.

But, the Phils won - and that's all that matters in the end.

ice grillin you

boston titles in the last ten years = seven

philadelphia titles ever = nine
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

To be fair the Patriots don't play in Boston.  They almost moved to farging Hartford a few years ago.

And no one in Boston cares about them anyway.   shtein, I'll bet more people watched the Red Sox/Rays game tonight than the Bruins game 7.

farg Boston.

MDS

ehhh no. bruins actually have great ratings in boston.

if anything boston doesnt give a shtein about the celtics. ill give you one guess why.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Rome

MDS

Don Ho

Don Ho

Quote from: MDS on June 15, 2011, 11:13:19 PM
ehhh no. bruins actually have great ratings in boston.

if anything boston doesnt give a shtein about the celtics. ill give you one guess why.

Bruins are huge in Boston.  Very loyal following.