Around the NFL - 2019

Started by MDS, February 11, 2019, 12:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on February 19, 2020, 07:43:13 PM
Quote from: MDS on February 19, 2020, 07:16:17 PM
he says as he lines up a 6 team parlay next january

Wouldn't it be a seven teamer, Goodell apologist?

try that math again lumbar dude
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

ice grillin you

Quote from: Diomedes on February 19, 2020, 07:49:28 PM
completely agree that only the 1 seed should enjoy a week of rest

this is neither here nor there but the adding a team is pathetic...especially in a league with only 16 games...

you are now going to have years that have playoff races with 5-8 teams

but quality of play or whats right for the sport has never been an issue with the nfl....its all about the shield....they could put every team in the league in the playoffs and not lose a single viewer...it truly is the trump of sports leagues in many more ways than one
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

tony romo got 17 (!) mil a year from cbs

just a categorically insane number
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Diomedes

the WR from NO had a great take on that, basically...how the dude in the booth get more than the players breaking themselves on the field?  NO to CBA
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

Because he's better at his job than they are. 

MDS

theres no salary cap for cbs

Rome

Exactly.  CBS paid a billion to broadcast the games but paying $17M to the best analyst in the business is somehow shocking.

Paying a $50M golden parachute to a CEO of a bankrupt corporation is morally repugnant.  This is a simple case of extremely limited supply meeting demand. 

Diomedes

Romo is not better at broadcasting (or quarterbacking) than Thomas is at receiving. 

I think it's pretty obscene that people think it's right and proper to pay soft dudes in a booth more than the hard dudes on the turf who are the actual poduct.

America:  where the salesman, who creates nothing, always makes (much) more than the worker, who is the only one creating actual value.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SD

They're making millions of dollars either way. Worlds smallest violin 🎻

Rome

You're comparing apples and oranges. 

Romo is the best at his craft (analyzing football games on television).  Because he's the best he deserves to be paid the most.  It's meritocracy at its essence, Dio.

That's not to say players don't deserve more.  They do.  And the best at their positions deserve the most as well.

If you're the world's best brick layer or watch maker, well, same applies.  If you deem one activity to be less deserving than another, that's your right.  But I won't begrudge Romo from getting his even if he is a POS ex-Cowboy. 

MDS

Quote from: Diomedes on March 01, 2020, 08:53:40 AM
I think it's pretty obscene that people think it's right and proper to pay soft dudes in a booth more than the hard dudes on the turf who are the actual poduct.

this is a classic internet strawman argument. should teachers get paid more than pampered athletes? what about hard working coal miners? and dont forget our veterans. they deserve the most money. support the troops, osama.

Diomedes

Bunch of capitalist dupes up in here.

General_Failure

CBS already gives their cut to the NFL with the tv deal. If they want to spend that much money on Romo, then I guess he gets more guess viewers than, oh let's say Matt Millen.

The man. The myth. The legend.

MDS

announcers account 0% for ratings. its all about matchup, game quality and external factors that keep people in the house (like cold weather). the game gets the exact same number if its nantz/romo or nantz/hentz.

romo got 17 bones because of a combination cbs' ego, peyton mannings cold feet and cbs' desire to remain in the good graces of the nfl. having a top tier announcer team goes a long way to keeping the league happy and getting big games assigned. espn will not be getting in the super bowl rotation with tess/booger. this is why they wanted romo and still want manning.