Phillies season 7

Started by MURP, August 14, 2005, 12:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunMo

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on August 27, 2005, 11:16:34 AM
People ripped Schmidt for years in Philly.

Of course, most of them are retarded fargheads who don't know dick about baseball.

The very same assclowns who ripped Schmidt rip Abreu.  They don't know dick about baseball and they assume that a guy who plays smooth must be dogging it.

It's retarded and it's beyond old already.

so, jogging to 1st when you ground into a doubleplay is smooth?
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Geowhizzer

I'm not even sure I would say that Abreu stinks defensively.

For the stat-geeks (just looked up at baseballreference.com):

In 2002, he was slightly below the league average in fielding percentage (.981 to .983) and slightly above average in range (1.76 to 1.67) in RF.

In 2003, he was slightly below the league average in fielding percentage (.981 to .982) and above average in range (1.96 to 1.72) in RF.

In 2004, he was slightly above the league average in fielding percentage (.982 to .980) and well above average in range (2.05 to 1.71) in RF.

He's not a Gold Glover, but he's a pretty good RFer.

SunMo

Quote from: Geowhizzer on August 27, 2005, 11:24:11 AM

no he's not, stats are useless for judging an outfielders defensive skills. 

his range is terrible, he can't go back to the wall.  he can't come in on a ball.  he can throw, that's about it. 

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Sun_Mo on August 27, 2005, 11:26:20 AM
Quote from: Geowhizzer on August 27, 2005, 11:24:11 AM

no he's not, stats are useless for judging an outfielders defensive skills. 

his range is terrible, he can't go back to the wall.  he can't come in on a ball.  he can throw, that's about it. 

He's decent.  Not great, but decent.  He gets to more balls than the average RF.

I agree that he is bad going to the wall.  It's his biggest weakness in the field.  It's also what keeps him from being a really good defensive RF.

Sgt PSN

If anything, I think Abreu has shown some improvement in RF this year.  Granted, I haven't been able to watch more than a handful of games this year but the ones I did see I saw him making some diving/sliding catches that I think he would have let drop in front of him in years passed.  I've ripped him before for being a lazy outfielder but in my admittedly limited perspective of him this year I see some improvement in his defensive play. 

MDS

Miguel Cabrera is a horrible defensive outfielder. worse than Abreu, and nobody complains about him because of what he does at the plate. The same goes for Abreu. He's not going to blow you significant games with his defense in right, but what he does with the bat happens to be irreplaceable in this lineup. The Phillies would not be in a playoff chase without Abreu. He is the best player on the team. Shut up.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

NGM

Abreu is my favorite Phillie period.  There is something to be said about a guy who is on a team with a bunch of under-performing whiners, in a city where idiot fans and media consistently rag on him and you never hear him say shtein about it.  I guess the rule is, if you are a great fielder (JRoll) you can be okay to poor at the plate. 
Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: NGM on August 27, 2005, 01:59:06 PM
Abreu is my favorite Phillie period.  There is something to be said about a guy who is on a team with a bunch of under-performing whiners, in a city where idiot fans and media consistently rag on him and you never hear him say shtein about it.  I guess the rule is, if you are a great fielder (JRoll) you can be okay to poor at the plate. 

Rollins is one of my favorite players, but there is no doubt he has had a mediocre overall season and a poor second half to this season.  I am disappointed that he's never learned to become a good leadoff hitter. 

MDS

You can't make somebody into something their not. Rollins belongs at the bottom of the order. He can fill in at the 2 hole, but certainley not in the leadoff spot. With this team, I would right now swap Rollins and the CF platoon and see how that goes. You could also move Utley up to 2, Abreu to 3, Burrell to 4 and Howard to 5...which would make Rollins 6th. Still, Rollins is a .260-.270 hitting SS with great speed and a gold glove. I'd take that anyday.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SunMo

Quote from: MDS on August 27, 2005, 11:53:47 AM
He is the best player on the team.
Pat Burrell has had a more productive year.  Sorry.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: Sun_Mo on August 27, 2005, 10:46:18 AM
i beat the drum for Abreu's meaningless hits more than anything.  however, when you get runs when you are only up by 1 run, that's still a big hit.

This meaningless hit nonsense is farging preposterous.

When the whole team was slumping earlier this year, he was still getting his hits. Its not his fault the rest of the team sucked ass and couldn't make anything out of it...or that they weren't on base when he came up to bat.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

SunMo

Abreu:  471 AB    86 RS    140 H    22 HR    82 RBI    89 BB   101 K    .297AVG

Burell:  438 AB  61 RS      122 H   24 HR   92 RBI  74 BB   121 K  .279AVG

so, it 33 less AB, Burrell has more HR and more RBI.  Abreu has more RS but it's not Burrell's fault the bottom of the lineup can't get him in.  Abreu has 18 more hits, but has 33 more AB.

SunMo

Quote from: PhillyGirl on August 27, 2005, 03:26:22 PM
Quote from: Sun_Mo on August 27, 2005, 10:46:18 AM
i beat the drum for Abreu's meaningless hits more than anything.  however, when you get runs when you are only up by 1 run, that's still a big hit.

This meaningless hit nonsense is farging preposterous.

When the whole team was slumping earlier this year, he was still getting his hits. Its not his fault the rest of the team sucked ass and couldn't make anything out of it...or that they weren't on base when he came up to bat.

do you think you can have an intelligent conversation without using the word 'farging'?

the meaningless hit stuff in non 'preposterous'.  it has merit.  earlier in the year, Abreu would come up in a big spot in the 8th and 9th inning with men on and he would strikeout.  it's bad enough not to get a hit but to not even put your bat on the ball when there are men on and less then 2 outs is unacceptble for a 'superstar'

Geowhizzer

It's close:

Abreu:  471 AB, 26 2b, 1 3b, 22 HR, 82 RBI, 86 Runs, 25 SB, .297 AVG, .410 OBP, .497 SLG, .907 OPS

Burrell:  438 AB, 22 2b, 1 3b, 24 HR, 92 RBI, 61 Runs, 0 SB, .279 AVG, .383 OBP, .498 SLG, .881 OPS

And don't forget about my man Utley:

Utley:  407 AB, 27 2b, 5 3b, 19 HR, 78 RBI, 68 Runs, 12 SB, .297 AVG, .375 OBP, .528 SLG, .904 OPS

Who would have thought that our second baseman would have a higer slugging percentage than Pat Burrell and Bobby Abreu, and the highest on the team?

And WHO was calling for him to start at the beginning of the season?  8) I know, I know, even a blind squirrell...

Only bad thing:  They've got 304 K's between them (Burrell 121, Abreu 101, Utley 82)

PoopyfaceMcGee

Utley is fast becoming my favorite Phillie.