Philadelphia

Started by Diomedes, October 19, 2006, 12:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

Movement going down in philly to remove rizzo's statue.

MDS

the rally coincidentally or not ended up across the street from the statue. massive police presence around it before during and after the march.

kenny said there would be a council debate about it. hopefully this gets done. rizzo was a sick racist man. of course the giant mural of him in the italian market (right where they do the grease pole climb during the festival) will never go down because wops are gonna wop.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

smeags

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Sgt PSN

Any bit of respectable writing and research that was put into that article was quickly vacated by this incredibly low brow remark at the end:

QuoteAs far as the impression that we made as a city, I'd say we did pretty damn well. We showed the league what true fans are made of and we keyed the world into a little secret that us good folks were damn well aware of (and should still sort of keep the lid on): Not all Birds fans are savages and we know how to throw one hell of a party.

Just stfu with that shtein already. 

QB Eagles

Quote from: Sgt PSN on August 25, 2017, 03:38:52 PM
Any bit of respectable writing and research

Not really any respectable writing or research involved. It was just a rehashing of a press release about a "study" from an organization that directly financially benefited from the draft.

MDS

npr did an interview with an economics professor the other day saying the numbers were complete bs

i know everyone knew that but, yea.

events like these generally lose money for cities. i think in this instance the city didnt lose anything, and perhaps gained a little, because the nfl paid for most of it. but inconveniencing your residents for a small gain is probably not worth it.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

next thing you are going to tell me is that publicly funded stadiums are monetary losers for cities
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Butchers Bill

So having been away from Philly for 6 years, I usually get my news fix from Philly.com.

It looks like they imposed a "maximum" article per month rule to "encourage" people to subscribe.  I have no problem paying for a subscription - if I didn't also have to put up with their crappy ads that cover the whole page.  That being said... 

Anyone have any other good Philly news sites?
I believe I've passed the age of consciousness and righteous rage
I found that just surviving was a noble fight.
I once believed in causes too,
I had my pointless point of view,
And life went on no matter who was wrong or right.

Sgt PSN

Probably just phillymag.com and the local news stations' websites.

Diomedes

Same shtein here in Baltimore.  I cancelled my print subscription because they wouldn't give access to online content as a part of the delivery subscription.  Idiots.

For Baltimore news  I read the local news channel sites and a few free local things like business insider, patch, baltimorebrew, and of course, aggregators that give me Baltimore specific feeds, like /r/Baltimore.

I don't begrudge the paywall, but if I'm paying..I want unfettered access.  Don't make me pay for print AND online.   Don't make me dodge ads after I"ve already paid.  The ads in my paper copy don't magically flip the page away from what I'm reading to show me the Macy's ad, why should I tolerate that shtein online?

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

Quote from: Butchers Bill on September 05, 2017, 04:50:18 PM
So having been away from Philly for 6 years, I usually get my news fix from Philly.com.

It looks like they imposed a "maximum" article per month rule to "encourage" people to subscribe.  I have no problem paying for a subscription - if I didn't also have to put up with their crappy ads that cover the whole page.  That being said... 

Anyone have any other good Philly news sites?

http://www.phillyvoice.com/

http://www.phillytrib.com/sports/

http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Diomedes

I'd rather die than hand my kid over to a couple thugs too.  Good man.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

QB Eagles

Good. Not many forms of humanity lower than a corrupt prosecutor.