Get advice from smart people on medical procedures

Started by PoopyfaceMcGee, January 12, 2011, 02:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoopyfaceMcGee

I don't think it would be worth the extra effort.

Eagaholic

more important to take something to keep you shteinting if you're taking oxy and had a hernia repair

PoopyfaceMcGee

Milk of Magnesia isn't going shtein for me yet (literally).

Don Ho

Just had hip replacement surgery on Monday.  Have had osteoarthritis since my mid 20's.  Just lived with it and tried to avoid what hurt.  The last year got pretty bad so I went in for a checkup in August.  Doctor gave me two options, suck it up for 10 more years or I was ready for hip replacement.  Incredible procedure.  Minimal invasive hip replacement.  45 minute procedure, less damage to muscle and quicker recovery time than the old procedure.  I was home Wednesday afternoon and am moving around pretty good with crutches.  Should be surfing in 6-8 weeks.

Took Oxy for the first couple of days.  Not a big fan of the stuff. Now just taking extra strength Tylenol.  Worse part of the whole thing was the constipation.  They said they wouldn't discharge me until I had a movement.  Between the epidural and the Oxy i needed Joe the plumber.  Tuesday night the nurse gave me two cups of prune juice and a shot of a laxative around 11 PM.  At 4 AM HST it was like the reenactment of Pearl Harbor in my hospital commode.  Best I ever felt. 

I had hernia surgery two years ago and that was a lot more painful.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

hbionic

Damn Don...glad you're feeling better. Wasn't aware you were in bad shape. Hopefully you have better mobility and flexibility than before the surgery.

Is this surgery a one time thing or do they have to revisit in 10 years or so down the line?
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Don Ho on December 03, 2011, 06:42:44 PM

The pain kind of sucks today. Did you have it done laparoscopically?

Don Ho

Actually the surgery was a piece of cake.  It was roughly 45 minutes from first incision to last staple.  They've come so far with hip replacement.  This is a new procedure and only one doctor here performes it. A buddy of mine had it done up in LA about 6 years ago.  He was the one that sold me on it.  He had the same story I did, diagnosed at a young age with osteo in the hip and wanted to get it corrected.  He's a new man.  Also spoke to several other's who had the procedure and they swear by it.  Shelf life is just over 20 years so I'll have to do it again.  All the nurses in the pre-op were saying "You're so young to be having hip replacement".  I was definitely the youngest on the hospital floor when I was doing my rehab.  Most people were late 50's to early 70's.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Rome

When I had my gall bladder out they had me on Dilaudid for two days after the surgery.  There is no better high in the world than that shtein, however, it does cause unbearable constipation. 

Don Ho

Quote from: FastFreddie on December 03, 2011, 07:22:32 PM
Quote from: Don Ho on December 03, 2011, 06:42:44 PM

The pain kind of sucks today. Did you have it done laparoscopically?

FF, I had the traditional open surgery.  I remember being scared to sneeze, cough, fart, burp in fear of riping open my incision.  It gets better each day following surgery.  I was fine in about a week.  I think I went on my first long walk about 10 days after surgery.  I didn't take any Oxy for my hernia surgery.  shtein just made me feel like crap.  Once you start #2 you'll feel 1000% better.

PoopyfaceMcGee

I just took Miralax with a whole cup of apple juice.

charlie

Quote from: Rome on December 03, 2011, 07:40:50 PM
When I had my gall bladder out they had me on Dilaudid for two days after the surgery.  There is no better high in the world than that shtein, however, it does cause unbearable constipation.

traditional or the scope? i had mine out last year and i barely used extra strength tylenol for more than 2 days.

the gallbladder is what keeps you from naturally being constipated so i avoided the painkillers

Rome

My gall bladder was about 5 minutes from exploding.  It was emergency surgery and there was a lot of pain involved pre and post op.  And it was a lappy surgery.

PoopyfaceMcGee

SD

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Rome on December 03, 2011, 07:40:50 PM

Did it make you hallucinate?

When my mom had her colon cancer surgery in September they put her on that shtein and she was flying high. She said she saw food talking to her and the walls melting.