10 questions Eagles have to answer

Started by SD_Eagle5, July 19, 2008, 07:19:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD_Eagle5

QuoteEagles have questions to answer

By REUBEN FRANK
phillyBurbs.com

They never did get the big-time all-pro wide receiver they coveted. They didn't add a proven double-digit-sack defensive end. They still don't have legitimate backups for their aging all-pro offensive tackles. And nobody is quite sure how their three star cornerbacks are going to co-exist.

The Eagles, now four years removed from their last appearance in the NFC championship game, begin training camp next week with numerous questions facing a franchise that has a losing record since beating the Falcons for the 2004 NFC championship to reach the Super Bowl.

Is this a team in a gradual decline or are the Eagles primed to bounce back and make another deep run under quarterback Donovan McNabb this fall?

With rookies, quarterbacks and players who were injured last year due to report to training camp at Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pa., in just four days, here are 10 questions looming over the Eagles, who begin their 76th NFL regular season in just seven weeks.

1) Can the Eagles' offense operate at a high enough level with Kevin Curtis and Reggie Brown back for a second year as starting wide outs? They weren't bad last year, Curtis even surpassing 1,000 yards. But they weren't great. Curtis was inconsistent — 41 percent of his yards came in three games — and Brown didn't make the big leap the Eagles were counting on after a promising 2006. The Eagles tried to acquire a big-time weapon but it didn't happen. Are these guys good enough?

2) Where's the pass pressure coming from? The Eagles haven't had two guys with more than six sacks in the same season in six years. You expect 12 to 15 sacks from Trent Cole, but who else from among Victor Abiamiri, Juqua Parker, Chris Clemons, Bryan Smith and perennially injured Jerome McDougle can terrorize opposing quarterbacks?

3) Tra Thomas will be 34 in the middle of the season, and Jon Runyan will be 35 a week later. Both are warriors, both have gone to the Pro Bowl, but both could run out of steam at any moment. What's the backup plan for two guys who have played a combined 368 NFL games? Winston Justice? Move Shawn Andrews outside, where he's never played? Ron Heller, anybody?

4) On paper, Stewart Bradley, Chris Gocong and Omar Gaither give the Eagles their best linebacking crew since Seth Joyner, Byron Evans and Willie T. But Bradley has only started a few games, Gaither is playing a new position and Gocong is still learning to be a linebacker. Can this group fulfill its potential?

5) Will the addition of DeSean Jackson energize a return unit that hasn't brought a punt or kick back for a touchdown in five years? The Eagles were awful in the return game last year — 24th in both kick and punt return average — and ranked 25th in field position. You can't win with numbers like that.

6) Stop us if you've heard this one before — McNabb was 54-18 with seven postseason wins from 2000 through 2004, and he's 17-16 since with no playoff wins and 15 games missed. Does his injury ravaged body still have another all-pro season in it?

7) As of now, Lito Sheppard, Asante Samuel and Sheldon Brown are all signed, under contract and planning to be at training camp. But can Andy Reid and Jim Johnson balance these three giant egos without the whole thing collapsing into high-priced chaos?

8) In 2004, David Akers made an NFL-record 17 field goals from 40 yards or longer. Last year, he made two (of 10 attempts). Akers, who made 84 percent of his kicks from 2000 through 2004, has made just 75 percent since. Can he rebound or do the Eagles need to start thinking about replacing the best kicker in team history?

9) Will Brian Westbrook's contract situation create a distraction? The Eagles agree that the peerless Westbrook deserves more money, but so far they haven't gotten a deal done. Will an unhappy Westbrook become a problem? It's hard to imagine anything less than 100 percent from the all-pro tailback, who switched agents this week. But the Eagles can't afford to let Westbrook's contract become a lingering issue.

10) Can the interior of the offensive line tighten up? The Eagles allowed 49 sacks last year, fifth-most in the NFL. The Eagles need more out of left guard Todd Herremans and center Jamaal Jackson.

rfrank@phillyBurbs.com

My predictions:
1.  Reggie Brown has his best year. Just a hunch I have. I predict over 70 catches and maybe 900 yards
2.  Abiamiri will emerge as the second best DE on the team
3. My guess is they'd swing Andrews out to tackle. Although if I were running the team I'd groom Herremans for the LT spot. He did fine there his rookie year and it's his natural position.
4. I think - barring any major injuries - this will be the best trio of LBs since Trotter/Emmons/Caldwell
5. If Jackson can field the ball and run 10 yards he's an instant upgrade.
6. McNabb will have his best season since 2004...as long as he can stay healthy. If he misses any significant time this season the Kolb era starts.
7. No idea how this one is gonna play out. I don't see the Eagles giving Lito a new deal and they aren't going to trade him so they're stuck between a rock and a hard place.
8. They need to start looking for Akers replacement
9. In my opinion the organization knows how important Westbrook is and will get something done.
10. Jackson and Herremans need to be a lot better. We'll see if Herremans just struggled because of injury last season. Supposedly he's coming into camp in good shape. MJG is supposedly the same 365 or whatever he weighed last season.

rjs246

1. Brown and Curtis will be exactly what they are. OK receivers who can't take over a game. The offense will be fine, but not as good as it could/should be.
2. Who farging knows where the sacks will come from. I would guess that one of the speed guys (Clemons or Smith) is more likely to get them than Abiamiri. The DTs need to contribute there.
3. I agree with SD on everything he said for this one.
4. Again, agreed. The Seth, Byron Willie T comparison is a little much.
5. If Jackson doesn't return every kick for a touchdown he is a bust. There, I said it.
6. McNabb could complete 25% of his passes as long as they win for all I care. I don't give a shtein about him being a pro-bowl player, I want him to connect on passes that matter under pressure at the end of games and in adverse situations.
7. Whatever. The Eagles botched this one. farging retards.
8. Akers is done. And he cried once.
9. I'd rather not think about this one thanks.
10. SOMEONE has to step up on the OL. They've drafted about 75 people to fill those gaps and solidify the line and they all seem to be just bad enough to be ineffective players.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Rome

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Rome

I don't care what Reuben Frank thinks about the Eagles any more than I care what any of you think.

The Eagles are going to go 16-0 and win the Super Bowl by five touchdowns.

The end.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Rome on July 19, 2008, 08:21:14 AM
I don't care what Reuben Frank thinks about the Eagles any more than I care what any of you think.

The article was just an outline of questions Mr. Too Cool for School.

ice grillin you

1) the wr's are what they are....the offense can operate at a high level if mcnabb plays at a high level for 16 games...also dont discount booker and especially kris wilson

2) this is a ultimate wait and see question that will have to be answered on the field...is there of a more mystery player than abiamiri...its amazing how little is known of him as to how good or not good he will be...no one has a clue...as for the rest of them its a matter of throwing out speedballs and hoping one of them catches magic in a bottle...not really the most comforting thing in the world...not sure why frank even includes smith in the mix does anyone see him playing this year?...in the end i suspect that the eagles will be searching for a DE to pair with cole next offseason

3) there is no backup plan...if either of these guys play gets old overnight or they get hurt then you have to question whether mcnabb finishes the season...my longer term hope is that andrews stays at guard carolina implodes this year and the eagles use their pick to get the best tackle in the draft next year

4) its well documented my feelings on the linebackers...i dont see any playmakers and bradley is the only one i have any tangible hope for...i dont get the "on paper" comment by frank...on paper the linebackers look worse than on the field...whats he talking about...ill expect the worst and hope for the best here...i really hope im proven wrong

5) how can desean not help here...if he sucks hell still be better than last year...and he WILL get in the end zone this year...book it

6) as usual the entire season rides on mcnabb...mcnabb has never made an all pro team so reuben asking that is out of his friggin mind...but again a full productive season can get this team in the playoffs...as great as that would be...deep down is there anyone else besides me that is ready for the cobb era to start...

7) IF lito makes it to the regular season i have no worries about whether it will work or not...it definitely will...what concerns me is what happens btwn now and then

eight) akers is on his way to being done...wouldnt totally shock me if he lost his job at some point...best case scenario would be a slight improvement on last year

9) if this was almost any other player id be worried...but i just dont see westbrook being the kind of guy to cause havoc over a contract....even tho i think he should...the bigger problem is what this does to the rest of the locker room...when they see a player as good as westbrook who is a quiet all about business seemingly good guy not getting his what makes you wanna go all out for the organization

10) they got enough of them "in the mix"...and they love their lineman they damn well better have the players somewhere who can solidfy this area
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

ice grillin you

Quote from: SD_Eagle on July 19, 2008, 08:25:48 AM
The article was just an outline of questions Mr. Too Cool for School.

the irony is that hes an internet moderator on the teams hideous message board and buddies with spadaro

Rome

ice grillin you

MadMarchHare

Westbrook can and very well may cause a stir.  He's the best player on the team, and the one guy they can't afford to lose (McNabb included).  In that role he's woefully underpaid, and there are likely several teams who'd love to double or more his salary to get him on theirs.
Anyone but Reid.

Rome

The chances of Westbrook not getting a new contract are about nil.  I don't know why it's even being discussed at this point other than possibly because the news media in Philly has nothing better to do than drum up controversy where none exists.

Diomedes

Quote from: Sheridan on July 19, 2008, 07:19:59 AM1) Can the Eagles' offense operate at a high enough level with Kevin Curtis and Reggie Brown back for a second year as starting wide outs?

The Eagles under Reid and McNabb have won a lot of games with far less talent at WR.  So yes, it's possible.  It's a lot of big ifs, but if McNabb is healthy, if Westbrook is healthy, if LJ is healthy and catching passes, then yes, I don't think it's a stretch to think the offense can get it done.  Jackson is a nice little wildcard..who knows, he could blow up if he gets a couple looks outside the return game.

Quote2) Where's the pass pressure coming from? The Eagles haven't had two guys with more than six sacks in the same season in six years. You expect 12 to 15 sacks from Trent Cole, but ..

12 to 15 sacks?  That would be great.  I don't expect that of anyone..DE seems about as mercurial a position to be successful with as there is in all football.  I don't see anyone other than Cole getting consistent pressure.  The Eagles will drag ass in this regard again.

Quote3) What's the backup plan for [Thomas and Runyan,] who have played a combined 368 NFL games? Winston Justice? Move Shawn Andrews outside, where he's never played? Ron Heller, anybody?

Winston Justice suffered a terminal blow to his football psyche against the Giants, and whatever talent he might have had, has been crippled.  Shawn Andrews should be left inside.  The future is Andy Reid's year to year pet projects, as ever.  Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote4) On paper, Stewart Bradley, Chris Gocong and Omar Gaither give the Eagles their best linebacking crew since Seth Joyner, Byron Evans and Willie T. But Bradley has only started a few games, Gaither is playing a new position and Gocong is still learning to be a linebacker. Can this group fulfill its potential?

Well, they've already fulfilled their potential and beyond simply by starting in the NFL, so who knows...seems to me they probably won't get worse.  I'm hopeful on this group.  Each of them being who they are, young, in over his head a bit, etc. should spur them to gel as a unit and that can only be good. 

Quote5) Will the addition of DeSean Jackson energize a return unit that hasn't brought a punt or kick back for a touchdown in five years?

Yes.  And with any luck, all these multi-players the Eagles have been adding will improve the blocking so that a man with speed and vision can actually hurt the opponent.  I dont' see how the team could get worse on STs this year, barring a broken neck to Jackson.

Quote6) Stop us if you've heard this one before — McNabb was 54-18 with seven postseason wins from 2000 through 2004, and he's 17-16 since with no playoff wins and 15 games missed. Does his injury ravaged body still have another all-pro season in it?

Yes, I think it does, if he's healthy of course.  And I just don't really like rooting for him anymore.

Quote7) As of now, Lito Sheppard, Asante Samuel and Sheldon Brown are all signed, under contract and planning to be at training camp. But can Andy Reid and Jim Johnson balance these three giant egos without the whole thing collapsing into high-priced chaos?

They're farging football coaches, they had better find a way to get the best out of the players.  Also, since when does Sheldon have a "giant ego"?  If all three are still on the team and playing this year, then the Eagles' CB corps would be the best in the league.  That could really tip the advantage against certain teams, allowing the less than stellar LB corp and DL line to perform better than you would otherwise thing.  I'm also hoping for a lot of interceptions out of the three.

Quote8) In 2004, David Akers made ...

Akers is done.  There are no better options at the moment I suppose, but it's 2008, not 2004.  His confidence or his leg or both are gone.  I suppose stranger things have happened than a goddamned kicker turning things around, but my only hope for Akers is that he doesn't have to make many long attempts, or many attempts under pressure.

Quote9) Will Brian Westbrook's contract situation create a distraction?
I hope to hell it won't, because he'll have a nice bump in pay before the season begins.  This is going to happen, right?  Right?

Quote10) Can the interior of the offensive line tighten up? The Eagles allowed 49 sacks last year, fifth-most in the NFL. The Eagles need more out of left guard Todd Herremans and center Jamaal Jackson.
They also need more running plays mixed into all the pass protection, less self-sacks from their QB, and some goddamned blocking/blitzing support from the TEs.  I'm not worried about the interior OL themselves as much as I worry about the yahoos they depend on for their success.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger