"Bryant" Westbrook - Pro Bowl player

Started by PhillyGirl, December 18, 2007, 05:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

Quote from: rjs246 on December 19, 2007, 07:42:19 PM
Well he doesn't play on another team now, does he? The only 'different' way that they could/should be using him is by letting him field punts.

He's also been known to throw a pass or two.  OMGWESTBROOKSHOULDTOTALLYBEOURQBNEXTYEARZ!!

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on December 19, 2007, 07:50:06 PM
He's projected to have 290 rushes.  Is that enough for you guys?

Let me check my preseason notes/goals for this year......................

................Yeah, actually I was hoping for something in the 294 range so that's just not gonna cut it. 

rjs246

290 rushes for him is fine with me. AND I want Reid to run the ball more. (Though really, I just want him to run the ball more effectively.)

I want them to run the ball more, but I think that they should run the ball with another back more often than they do. There are a plethora of examples of multi-back systems that have been used effectively over the past several years and I think that the different styles of running can be beneficial to an offense. Take some short yardage carries away from Westbrook and give them to a different running back. Then add those carries back to Westbrook in different scenarios.

If Westbrook gets 250-300 rushes, and 70+ catches that's great. Let him return punts too and I'm happy as a pig in shtein. But add an adequate complimentary back who gets 100-110 or so effective touches, and that's ideal in my book. More carries for the team doesn't mean that they ALL have to go to Westbrook. Nor should they.

Mostly, I want Westbrook to get his touches where he's most effective and I want another back to be around who can be competent and be utilized a lot more than the backups are now. And I want Andy Reid to understand how to control time of possession with the ground game.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: rjs246 on December 19, 2007, 08:02:34 PM
If Westbrook gets 250-300 rushes, and 70+ catches that's great. Let him return punts too and I'm happy as a pig in shtein. But add an adequate complimentary back who gets 100-110 or so effective touches, and that's ideal in my book. More carries for the team doesn't mean that they ALL have to go to Westbrook. Nor should they.

Money Post.  You stole the words right off of my keyboard.   The idea of Reid running the ball 400 times a year though is humorous at best.   

Rome

No one here suggested that Westbrook run the ball 400 times.  I suggested they take 50 of the retarded pass plays that the opposing team keys on and hand him the ball in the backfield instead.

Even with the anomalous 32 carry game against the Dolphins he's still not average close to 20 carries again.  In my exceedingly humble opinion that's simply not enough carries for an elite back to get in the NFL, especially with the sort of offensive line the Eagles have.

Whatever, though.  Arguing this bullshtein is nonsensical anyway because with the coaches they have Westbrook will never run the ball enough. 

mussa

as long as the ball is in westy hands around 30 times a game thats around 480 touches for the year. the more the ball is in his hands the better. catches, runs, punts whatever, just get him the ball.

Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

MadMarchHare

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on December 19, 2007, 08:37:24 PM
No one here suggested that Westbrook run the ball 400 times.  I suggested they take 50 of the retarded pass plays that the opposing team keys on and hand him the ball in the backfield instead.

Even with the anomalous 32 carry game against the Dolphins he's still not average close to 20 carries again.  In my exceedingly humble opinion that's simply not enough carries for an elite back to get in the NFL, especially with the sort of offensive line the Eagles have.

Whatever, though.  Arguing this bullshtein is nonsensical anyway because with the coaches they have Westbrook will never run the ball enough. 

Actually, Rome, he's averaging 19.5 yards a carry, which rounds up to 20.  Just saying.......
Anyone but Reid.

ice grillin you

you realize there are only so many plays in a season...so if you give someone else 110 touches thats close to 110 touches not going to westbrook...who on earth would you want the best player in the nfl not named LT to get that many fewer opportunities...that makes absolutely no sense

unless youre suggesting 110 less passes and give those plays to a back up running back...which again would be assinine...westbrook is your best player by far why are you looking for another back to take opportunities away from him

to me it comes down to either youre happy with westbrooks distrubution right now or you want him to get more carries

cutting back on westbrooks production is not an option.....thats about as counter productive as you could get
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyGirl

Quote from: PhillyGirl on December 19, 2007, 05:00:38 PM
Quote from: SunMo on December 19, 2007, 04:58:06 PM
he has 337 touches on offense, which is tied with LT...i don't think he's underused

underused as a RB....but I Think its just the run game is underused in the correct situations thing.

290 rushes for him is fine with me. AND I want Reid to run the ball more. (Though really, I just want him to run the ball more effectively.)

Mostly, I want Westbrook to get his touches where he's most effective and I want another back to be around who can be competent and be utilized a lot more than the backups are now. And I want Andy Reid to understand how to control time of possession with the ground game.

More detailed than my post, but exactly what I was thinking.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Phanatic

Statistics are fine and dandy but I think it's more about when and where this offense chooses to run. I mean I'll watch them call 4 straight run plays then 4 straight pass plays and it won't work because it's too predictable and doesn't make sense for the game situation.

It all comes down to the in game play calling and that sucks right now for the offense.
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Phanatic on December 19, 2007, 10:41:32 PM
It all comes down to Reid's in game play calling and that has sucked since he got here.

rjs246

Quote from: ice grillin you on December 19, 2007, 10:01:49 PM
to me it comes down to either youre happy with westbrooks distrubution right now or you want him to get more carries

Are you not reading? I said I'm happy with his distribution. I want them to run more and run smarter and that would include giving touches to another player. Jesus.

You seem so opposed to the idea of including another back in this offense and see every touch for another player as a touch taken away from Westbrook. That's idiotic. An offense that relies solely on one player leads to what we've seen this year. You want to see MORE of this bullshtein?

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

im opposed to touches going to anyone other than westbrook...to want to more incorporate a second back into the offense is retarded....you dont hear people in sd saying get michael turner the ball more and no one in st louis complains that stepehen jackson needs help....so why does brian westbrook need another back

it all makes no sense and this infatuation with having a 1b running back is so overrated...they need to run the ball more and they need to do it with the second best running back in the nfl...buck is perfectly fine as a back up running back just as antonio pittman is in...he tony hunt or anyone else does not need to be getting more touches over westbrook...you win with your best players

basically what it comes down to with the running game is that the game plan needs to be changed not the personel
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

rjs246

Fine. We agree that they should run more. We don't agree about how they should do it. Doesn't matter because neither of us will ever agree or be happy with Andy's play calling. Over.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Feva

Quote from: Phanatic on December 19, 2007, 10:41:32 PM
Statistics are fine and dandy but I think it's more about when and where this offense chooses to run. I mean I'll watch them call 4 straight run plays then 4 straight pass plays and it won't work because it's too predictable and doesn't make sense for the game situation.

It all comes down to the in game play calling and that sucks right now for the offense.

This is where I fall on this too.  It's a situational thing. When the defense knows Andy's going to run the ball trying to make a managable 3rd down because he blew his 1st down with an incomplete pass... that's not an effective way to run the offense.  Then it makes 3rd down even that much harder because they're now in a 3rd and long when the D is expecting the pass.  Just switching up the 1st and 2nd down here and there would help immensely.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews