The religion thread.

Started by Diomedes, January 18, 2009, 08:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Susquehanna Birder

That doesn't surprise me. We can accuse somebody of multiple murders - and even have them openly confess their crime - but for heaven's sake, don't you dare use their real name, because it might embarrass them.

The whole EU privacy thing is a complete pain in the ass, and you'd have a hard time designing any system that does a better job at preventing things from getting done.

(Side note: On my previous job, I was tasked with going over historical records and consolidating purchases of things like metal raw material and industrial chemicals. I needed to find out who was responsible for what activity at a number of plants, and it was like running into a brick wall. You couldn't look people up in the company directory, and even if you could find a name, their title and/or working group would be completely invisible. And nobody would help me sort through it all - the best I got was a bunch of finger pointing.)

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

yeah I don't really see the problem....even with criminals...the obvious important thing that this cat is put away...does his name even matter
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

rjs246

Exactly. The practice of public shaming is part of why the justice system is completely farged in this country. The whole idea behind jail sentences is that you pay your debt to society and then, you know, the debt is paid and you're supposed to be able to go on with your life. That doesn't work in a world where everyone knows that you committed a crime once. In fact, for most people who spend time in prison, you might as well just put them behind bars for life because their chances of returning to society and contributing are pretty farging small.

This dude is a murderer and probably mentally ill. So, get him into prison or a hospital, get him treatment and get him medication if he can be helped. Do whatever civilized societies do with people like this in situations like this. If he can't be helped, let him rot. But releasing his name does nothing to further the cause of justice.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

I really don't care one way or the other when it comes to releasing a criminal's name, but if I had to choose, I'd probably lean towards it being public info.  If nothing else, it exposes your white collar wall st criminal types who need to be publicly shamed as much as possible.

General_Failure

On the other hand, it gives your white trash kid with grandpa's guns the recognition he wanted.

The man. The myth. The legend.

smeags

Quote from: General_Failure on February 05, 2016, 02:05:24 PM
On the other hand, it gives your white trash kid with grandpa's guns the recognition he wanted.

Most times after a bullet's in their head
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

PhillyPhreak54

Diomedes

PhillyPhreak54

Geowhizzer

Wasn't sure where to put this at first, then remembered we had an old religion thread.  Seems like the best place.

My church made the local news under the larger umbrella of the impending split of the United Methodist denomination over LGBTQ+ issues.

Naples church takes progressive stance pending Methodist split

Diomedes

In this case progressive means, treated like humans/children of God rather than as animals/the spawn of Satan

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Diomedes on February 24, 2021, 08:36:15 PM
In this case progressive means, treated like humans/children of God rather than as animals/the spawn of Satan

Pretty much.

General_Failure

Seems like it's been a while since a Christian sect had a good schism.

The man. The myth. The legend.