The religion thread.

Started by Diomedes, January 18, 2009, 08:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

in which I intend to mock god worship in all it's flavors, from Zeus to Scientology

lets begin with this distillation of theological thought:

http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/JJxCFa8YmbQ

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

MDS

do you think mary liked anal?
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

MadMarchHare

Hey I'm all for the pantheon.  At least their stories were cool.

Perseus, Theseus, Jason, Heracles.
Anyone but Reid.

stalker

Why? What's the value in mocking others' beliefs?
Alert, alert. Look well at the rainbow. The fish will be running very soon.

reese125

until I see physical proof that this man God is real, I will continue to believe otherwise..and the closest Ive come so far is Kevin Curtis..so the journey continues

SD_Eagle5

I consider myself a Christian, you'll never see me trying to convert anyone and I avoid Church like the plague but when you seperate the cultural bullshtein that's become Christianity and get down to the reason humans are on Earth I haven't found a better explanation than the one I've found in the New Testament. I've studied the rise of Christianity from the time it was practiced underground to Constantine to Martin Luther. I think Martin Luther got it right with the Protestant Reformation. In my opinion religion should have no place in politics. I think more people should practice what Jesus actually taught than they should the other supersticious nonsense.

I realize I just left myself open to being mocked and dridicule so I'll throw this out there: Why does a planet like Earth that's full of life exist in the middle of nowhere? Why are we here? How did we get here? If you don't believe in a religous reason that's more than fine, but I'm curious to what other people believe. I'm a believer in the Big Bang. At some point comets struck the Earth, water was formed, life came from water, we evolved. So I guess there's a start.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't on the edge of my seat waiting for Dio's answer.

stalker

SD, that pretty much sums up my thoughts. I really could care less about the way others believe. I am not mocing them, they don't need to mock me. There is plenty of other stuff to mock me about. People like Dio mock fundamentalists and zealots with a fervor showing that anti-religion is actually their religion.
Alert, alert. Look well at the rainbow. The fish will be running very soon.

Phanatic

I do not deny the possibility of a God. If anything the more you study science and how things relate to everything the design just brings more questions. I do however think that most organized religion is based on stories some based on historical fact and some grand superstitious mumbo jumbo. I have no more proof of anything then anyone else and my thoughts on the subject work for me and are not meant to discredit what anyone else thinks or believes.

Do I think someone died for our sins? No. If they did it's not really gotten us anywhere. We're the same messed up collection of misfits we were 2000 years ago.
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

PhillyPhreak54

NGM

Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Religion has ruined faith.

That is all.

The BIGSTUD

I respect people's right to believe what they want, but most religions I know are completely illogical and stupid to me.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

ice grillin you

i dont understand geometry but i also dont think god invented it...why because something cant be explained does it mean some made up mysterious force has to be brought into the equation...some things just are
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Munson

I don't believe any of this was just an accident...I think some sort of higher power had a hand in it. But I believe religion has made a mockery of whatever God there is.

Anybody who really believes that God cares how much sex someone has before they get married is not only ignorant, but arrogant. God is presumably a supreme being with an entire universe to work with and create humans and whatever such creatures he wants on any planet he wants....What really makes you think he gives a damn about you outside being part of his life experiment?

The ones that say that people don't believe in THEIR religion, are "going to hell", really get me going. God created us with a higher level of thinking, an ability to question and wonder....and he's going to send the majority of us to eternal damnation because we USED that gift? Hah. Nice.
Of course, when I bring that point up, I get the classic "That's just what I beleive, what I was taught."
Sweet. White people in the South were taught to hate black people and believed they were lower level human beings. Doesn't make it true, OR okay to believe.

I believe in an after life...I am not sure, however, if I believe in heaven or hell.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Cerevant

Us vs. them, boogeyman centric religion is bad.  Using faith in place of (or in spit of) logic and reason is bad.  Still, there is a place for community oriented spirituality in this world.

Quote"We, the member congregations of the Unitarian Universalist Association, covenant to affirm and promote

* The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
        * Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
        * Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
        * A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
        * The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
        * The goal of world community with peace, liberty and justice for all;
        * Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part."
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.