Phillies

Started by MDS, March 29, 2018, 04:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

did anyone else read that gelb piece in the athletic

yall sitting here like oh make some moves la dee da....uhhh chief the rot is deep
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

MDS

you are a grown man with a disposable income....i cant help you
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Don Ho

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Don Ho

Not the entire story but you get the gist of it, Dysfunctional might be an understatement
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

QB Eagles

People assume the dysfunction leads to the losing but it just as often goes in the opposite direction. Losing leads to infighting and people not buying into the program.

If there was some straightforward reason the Phillies can't develop for shtein it would have been taken care of years ago. The people who draft, scout, and develop for the Phillies have generally worked for other teams that aren't mired in this shtein so it's not like they don't know how the other teams do things. Realistically some of it is bad luck too, which is never a satisfying explanation.

MDS

not developing stars or transcendent players is luck and chance and all that. they picked at the top of the draft and nobody special was there. ok fine.

what has killed them these last few years has been an utter lack of depth. they couldnt develop useable pieces. a mid rotation starter. a middle reliever. a corners player who can hit 30 bombs with a bad average. this led to a series of stupid contracts to over the hill relievers, the jean segura trade, 3 years of didi, 3 for cutch, etc. if you are producing useable pieces, you can spend your money on shtein that puts you over the top. you have assets to trade.

the best news i can give is the mariners were a farcical joke not too long ago. now they are almost in the playoffs in a tough division and have a very good system with potential stars on the way. so the phillies i suppose can get there....in like 10 years

Geowhizzer

PhillyPhreak54

Him and Bryce were the only true bright spots

Don Ho

Absolutely!  It's really too bad Harper shtein the bed in Atlanta this week.

Here's hoping to ranger being something special, he's been outstanding. 

Looked like Hector was getting his crap together but he too hit a speed bump couple times down the stretch here.

ice grillin you

how bleak is your franchises future when you hopes are you hope ranger farging suarez is good
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 01, 2021, 11:20:55 PM
how bleak is your franchises future when you hopes are you hope ranger farging suarez is good

bleaker than bleak

even if hes good...and its impossible for him to keep this up....but lets see his like mid rotation good. ok. they still need 4 other starters, an entire bullpen, like 6 spots in the lineup. and a bench.

they have the mvp and maybe the cy young, were in a bad division and are going to win 83 games. its the saddest franchise in sports.

Rome

It's pretty astounding, actually.  This is a franchise whose owners are filthy rich.  The stadium is gorgeous.  The facilities they have are top notch.  And yet they've still had ten years of utter failure.

The first two or three years are understandable since they held on to the core too long, but they've had high draft picks and a ton of money to spend in free agency.   Yet their farm system is a desert and the guys they've bought have been only marginally successful to outright catastrophes.

It takes serious ineptitude and bad luck to fail this consistently for as long as they have.   

Don Ho

Yes, it's bleak on many fronts.  Listen, I scream and curse from across the Pacific at this team as much as the rest of you.  Absolutely infuriating and not just this year, mid - late 80's, 1994-2006, 2012 - today, nauseating. 

BUT, and I know it's like comparing apples to oranges but the 2007 Phillies won 89 games, got into theplayoffs due to a collossal collapse by the Mets, in 2008 they won 92 when the Mess farted out down the stretch again, and we know what happened.  This 2021 team was going to be swept and beaten like a drum by whomever they were facing if they got in the playoffs BUT they were a few Archie Bradley, Sam Goonrod, Ian Kennedy, some of the other fargsticks (old Hector) major farts from getting in.   

Since 2012 and the expanded format (excluding 2020 virus) 16 teams have qualified as NL wild card entries.  7 had fewer than 90 wins.  Same with AL, 7 had fewer than 90 wins.

Hopefully the cancer stick maker lets Dombrowski due his thing and we pray.  I still don't trust this FO but maybe these douchebags pull a rabbit out of their ass.

With that said 2022 prediction:  82-80
2023 prediction: 83-79

QB Eagles