Phillies

Started by MDS, March 29, 2018, 04:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geowhizzer

What's with the camouflage hats?  Memorial Day isn't for two more weeks.

ice grillin you

Quote from: MDS on May 14, 2021, 09:28:53 PM
as bad as their offense looks, their team is ops is 10th in the NL and theyre 9th in homers

not good, but not utterly abysmal.

that's really cause baseball sucks...even the best offensive teams are pretty bad offensively
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

the average ops is off 20/30 points from where it usually is

could even out or could be a weirdo year of the pitcher thing going, which in 2021 parlance means an enormous amount of strikeouts. its not great.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Can't blame Vinny tonight

ice grillin you

Quote from: MDS on May 14, 2021, 09:56:21 PM

could even out or could be a weirdo year of the pitcher thing going, which in 2021 parlance means an enormous amount of strikeouts. its not great.

it used to be if someone was hitting .235 it stood out for how horrible they are now it's the 4th best avg on the team

all that matters now is if you hit homers

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 14, 2021, 10:07:29 PM
Quote from: MDS on May 14, 2021, 09:56:21 PM

it used to be if someone was hitting .235 it stood out for how horrible they are now it's the 4th best avg on the team

all that matters now is if you hit homers

Thank you.

If I hear one more time how someone hitting farging .218 is hitting well I'm gonna lose it. Dook is hitting .218/7/19 and people would be like "he's hitting well!"

No.

MDS

its a little of an over simplification but i find it hard to believe the slappys of the 80s who could hit .300 with mostly singles could even do that with the quality of pitching in the game today

you are just generally not a valuable player in the game now without double digit homers. and the amazing thing is that even with all the homers nobody touches even 50. youd think with all the homers there would be a chase of 60 but its not even a remote possibility
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

Quote from: MDS on May 14, 2021, 10:11:20 PM
you are just generally not a valuable player in the game now without double digit homers. and the amazing thing is that even with all the homers nobody touches even 50. youd think with all the homers there would be a chase of 60 but its not even a remote possibility

That's cause home runs are luck now...close your eyes and hope not to K

before you were looking to drive a ball in the gap and a double might turn into HR

PhillyPhreak54

Nice inning here.

Now hold the lead

QB Eagles

its a little of an over simplification but i find it hard to believe the slappys of the 80s who could hit .300 with mostly singles could even do that with the quality of pitching in the game today

Even if they could they might be coached to not do it... it might be less correlated with winning than working the pitcher deep into the count and waiting for a potential meatball.

PhillyPhreak54

Sure. Hit 11-18 homers. But don't hit .204

MDS

youre being a bit too general and also not factoring in how difficult it is to hit this pitching

the analytical approach of playing for the 3 true outcomes is, in the macro, the best way to score runs. is it the best entertainment product? god no.

i feel like theyre going to move the rubber back a foot within the next season or two

PhillyPhreak54

I hope they do.

Because yeah the pitching has gotten harder to hit. But I still think that of the hitters worried less about launch angle and "exit velo" and looked to gap a ball they'd be better off.

MDS

the royals sort of play that way. speed, defense, contact. it worked for them for a time. but they drafted and developed for that, and had to, because theyre a small market team that needs to do something outside the box to win.

the phillies first off cant develop talent and second off financially can compete at the top of the market so they just wind up copying everyone else. the rays are the best at this, they lead the league in strikeouts. they still win. its what it is.

PhillyPhreak54

And honestly when they were winning I really enjoyed watching them.