Rest Of Baseball - 2020

Started by PhillyPhreak54, January 13, 2020, 02:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Diomedes on July 31, 2020, 08:53:02 AM
That's a COVID rule?

Much like the DH rule in the national league, it's for the current season, but we'll see if it hangs around. 

Diomedes

So, no.  Not related to COVID. 

Same for the seven inning double headers, or is that one actually a COVID rule?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

QB Eagles

Honestly don't think the ghost runner or 7 innings rules will stick. I could see something like the ghost runner becoming permanent years from now, but I think they will go back to the usual extra innings rules in the seasons immediately after the pandemic. The legit gripes about pace and length of the game aren't really about what happens in the <10% of games that go into extra innings.

DH is the one where I feel like enough of MLB wants it bad, for reasons not related to covid. Some NL execs swear no, though.

The whole season feels to me like it lacks legitimacy, like the XFL or some new league that people don't take seriously. No one wants extra innings or long doubleheaders in games that don't really matter, so I think having gimmicky rules to reduce the amount of baseball makes sense this year. Would rather just not have the season at all, but the existence of this season is more about serving the desires of the owners and players than the fans.

Diomedes

Quote from: QB Eagles on July 31, 2020, 11:43:10 AMThe legit gripes about pace and length of the game aren't really about what happens in the <10% of games that go into extra innings.

This is spot on.  When I feel a game dragging, it's often well before the ninth inning, nevermind extras. 
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

OT in any sport is always more exciting than regulation play...why would you ever want to shorten that
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

General_Failure

Bring this shtein to its natural conclusion; start every game with overtime. End that game 1-0 in the first inning, you've got time to play again.

The man. The myth. The legend.

ice grillin you

of course just like hockey and the shootout they will tell on themselves by not having it in the post season

Rome

18 Marlins now have Covid.  Hope that night out on the town in the ATL was worth it.

Geowhizzer

General_Failure

Their strength was in all the Civil War monuments. Hashtag white genocide.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Geowhizzer

ice grillin you

QuoteLast 162 games played:

Aaron Judge:
116 R, 40 HR, 87 RBI, 216 K

Max Kepler:
115 R, 41 HR, 105 RBI, 113 K

PhillyPhreak54

MLB has told networks to have alternate programming ready Monday in case the plug is pulled.

Thanks Marlins.

MDS

its not just the marlins though they are obviously the most egregious

traveling parties have like 50 people in them, mostly white men. over 50% over white men vote for trump so you can do the math on how many block headed anti science mongoloids are parading around clubhouses. all it takes it like 2 of them to go to a titty bar then boom theres and outbreak on the team. the union fought for this so players could be at home for half the season...they didnt factor in how stupid and ignorant their members were also going to be.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Geowhizzer