2008 Philadelphia Phillies Season/Playoff Thread (Die Mets Die)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2008, 09:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geowhizzer

Quote from: ice grillin you on July 20, 2008, 07:44:47 PM
perez is a mortal lock against the phillies...much more so than santana

This year that's been true, but Perez' ERA was over 5 against the Phils last year, and he can be dominating or batted around the ballpark from start to start.  And Moyer, his age notwithstanding, has been money this year, and especially in the last month.

Quote from: SD_Eagle on July 20, 2008, 08:18:53 PM
yup...and they never hit Maine. I think their best bet is against Santana.

Freakin bums. That Holliday trade is looking more and more like a good idea.

Maine has just been god-awful.  His saving grace this week is the Phils' spectacularly inconsistent offense, and the fact he's going up agianst Brett Myers.

If the best shot is against Santana, the Phils would be in deep shtein.  I don't believe that the case, but they are in some trouble anyway just from being the Phillies.

ice grillin you

king pitching today is the phillies being the phillies

how much better would

blanton/santana
moyer/maine
hamels/perez

have looked

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SunMo

it's because it was so simple to accomplish that makes them so inept.  he pitched last Sunday. him pitching Friday would've been right on schedule, but they think they are being smart by pushing him 2 whole days.  what, do they think they are saving him innings by bumping him 2 games?
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

its really beyond comprehension and only easy could give it any sort of justification
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SunMo

i don't think Easy has one in his bag of tricks for this
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

BigEd76

MDS

his arm was tired so they wanted to give him more time off. there.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

I hate that fag Cody Ross.

I hate this faggy team even more. Way to come out of the break, asshats.

SD_Eagle5

Quote"We're not hitting the baseball," Manuel said. "Our situational hitting is absolutely terrible. Off the chart, really. The guys might be trying too hard, and it seems like when you remind them to make sure you get [the runner] over, all of a sudden, they don't do it."

Manuel went on.

"Also, we strike out a lot," the skipper said. "People don't realize, we have a different lineup than we had last year. We have different people. And just one guy makes a difference. It's called execution, and hitting the ball in the right place. When we don't do that, it's going to be hard for us to win."

Though Manuel didn't say Aaron Rowand by name, his right-handed bat was a steady force for last year's team, which lead the NL in runs scored. They're second this year, but have struggled since scoring 20 runs on June 13 against St. Louis.

Maybe this is a plea to Gillick to go for Holliday

Quote from: BigEd76 on July 20, 2008, 08:30:50 PM
Colorado is talking to the Angels about Holliday and they want the guys the Angels wouldn't give up for Miguel Cabrera

Bums can't compete with the Angels in that sweepstakes.

PhillyPhreak54

He needs to go batshtein crazy. Both on the team for their inability to do the right things and for not hustling and giving a shtein and on the GMs to get him some farging help.

BigEd76

PhillyPhreak54

Straight out of central casting for a re-make of the Rudolph cartoon.

He's got a face that needs a beatin'

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteThis is from Jim Salisbury's story, posted on philly.com:

"... Charlie Manuel is frustrated with his team's offense, and he let it be known after the Phillies wasted a golden effort from ace Cole Hamels in losing, 3-2, in 11 innings to the Florida Marlins today.

"'We get pitching like that, we've got to win,' an exasperated Manuel said after Hamels allowed just four hits, two of which were home runs, over eight innings.

"Sitting behind a desk in the visiting manager's office at Dolphin Stadium, Manuel flicked a few jabs at his team's offense, then delivered a haymaker.

"'Our situational hitting is absolutely terrible," he said. "Absolutely off the chart, really.'"

Manuel continued:

"'It's going to be hard for us to win' if situational hitting does not improve, Manuel said. '[On Saturday], we hit all those balls down to third base in one inning - absolutely bad hitting. I'm not trying to hurt anybody's feelings, but if I do, if I'm talking about you, that's good. I mean to be talking about you.

"'We hit enough. We talk enough [about situational hitting]. We've got to get it done. A lot of it is me. It's up to me to make us try to get it done.

"'Accountability is fine, but if you don't execute, something's wrong.'"

And then even more:

"'I hear everybody [praise] our lineup, but evidently they don't really evaluate our lineup right,' he said. 'It's not like I'm throwing anybody under the bus, because I'm not. It's about our team. I'm included in that.'"

Manuel, Salisbury wrote, "also made a point to say that this year's lineup is different than last year's."

And then Salisbury reported this disappointing comment from the so-called team leader:

"'He's pretty much right, but we'll get out of it,' Rollins said. 'We don't get concerned until late. Coaches do that now. We go play.'"

More of that it's early talk.

SHUT UP AND PLAY BALL

MDS

Jimmy's woe-is-me it's alright attitude is running a strong 1/6. good for him and his disappointing season.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

MDS

Quote"I'm upset, absolutely," Burrell said. "I'm upset, and I have been for a long time. It's not personal. I don't want to ever come out of close games."

So it took you like 2 years to admit you think Manuel's stupid strategy is stupid? God damn cokehead.