Phillies

Started by MDS, March 29, 2018, 04:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

friday:

cesar-MANNY-odubel-rhys-los-nick-georgy-mike
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

MDS

Quote from: MDS on July 15, 2018, 09:13:47 PM
friday:

cesar-MANNY-odubel-rhys-los-nick-georgy-mike

this is not the dodgers lineup
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

dodgers can afford to offer a lot more as they have a good chance to lock him up long term...phillies have almost no chance
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

The Phillies are going to go for broke.  Klentak has the tobacco pimp breathing down his neck now and money is no object either.   

ice grillin you

dodgers have more money and more importantly he wants to play in LA

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on July 17, 2018, 04:18:45 PM
dodgers can afford to offer a lot more as they have a good chance to lock him up long term...phillies have almost no chance

not exactly

first off machado, when he signs, will sign to be a ss. corey seager is their ss.

next you have to project the dodgers payroll not only for next year but for 2020 and beyond. they are going to keep paying kershaw 30+. seager gets expensive next year. bellinger the year after that. the owe justin turner 40 mil. jasen is owed 20 the next 3 years. they dont want to take their payroll too far over the luxury tax - lets call that 190. they are 130 already next year.

not saying they cant afford machado or that he wont love it there, but its not that easy. the phillies have zero committments to anyone important and can write him a blank check. they can offer him ss. its not a lock.

ice grillin you

he doesn't want to go to the Phillies...it's why the dodgers can give up more for him cause they know in all likelihood he will sign with them....in fact wouldn't shock me if they have the framework in place...he's already told people and it's well known he wants to play in LA so even if somehow the Phillies offered more money and that's most likely not going to happen he would take a little less to go to LA...honestly probably 50/50 if he even makes it to the open market if he gets traded to the dodgers

also position literally means nothing in the big picture no team is losing a free agent of that caliber because of position...they will just moved Seager somewhere else if manny insists on SS and I don't know that he puts the dodgers in that predictament like he would the Phillies for example

MDS

if he is 10000% signing with the dodgers than there is literally no point in even attempting to trade for him

but it isnt

ice grillin you

its not 100% he signs with the dodgers...but to your point while its not 100% there is very little chance he signs with the phillies and so as much as i love him i agree there is no point in the phillies getting involved other than some good but not great offers just to see what the market is

QB Eagles

So what's up next? A needless Hamels trade to try to get fans to come to the ballpark, plus some cheap relievers, followed by flailing around in the offseason when Manny reups with the Dodgers?

MDS

Quote from: QB Eagles on July 18, 2018, 09:10:14 AM
So what's up next? A needless Hamels trade to try to get fans to come to the ballpark, plus some cheap relievers, followed by flailing around in the offseason when Manny reups with the Dodgers?

eddie escobar is the best middle infield bat out there....nick castellanos is the best overall hitter out there...donaldson and moustakas are lower risk power bats. then theres your bullpen arms like hand and britton.

just give up the franchise for trout...why not.

Quote from: ice grillin you on July 18, 2018, 08:19:24 AM
its not 100% he signs with the dodgers...but to your point while its not 100% there is very little chance he signs with the phillies and so as much as i love him i agree there is no point in the phillies getting involved other than some good but not great offers just to see what the market is

they offered medina but balked at sixto and jhaylin, which i get. solid offer but the dodgers one was better.

again the phillies are not going to be outbid on manny and im really not sure if hes a perfect fit in LA. they will be in the mix for him.

SD

Quote from: QB Eagles on July 18, 2018, 09:10:14 AM

I'd like Hamels back because it's a great story and yes they should focus on finding a middle reliever. I don't think Machado signs a new deal without testing free agency. I wanted him but I'm glad the Phillies didn't part with legit controllable talent for a possible one year rental. To be honest I doubt we get Manny or Bryce, I think Trouts a Phillie come 2020. This is where he wants to be. For now I'm willing to trust the Process. They're in 1st place and have a lot of developing talent.

MDS

Quote from: AO1 on July 18, 2018, 10:10:58 AM
They're in 1st place and have a lot of developing talent.

since when did you provide rational takes

SD

Quote from: MDS on July 18, 2018, 02:12:42 PM
Quote from: AO1 on July 18, 2018, 10:10:58 AM
They're in 1st place and have a lot of developing talent.

since when did you provide rational takes

No choice at this point. They missed the boat on everyone (as predicted). They're not signing anyone this offseason. They'll be outbid. Trout 2020.

I'd like to see them add a BP arm before the deadline and I'll go with the who the hell knows option if they make the playoffs. Nola is a stud, Arrieta has playoff experience, maybe they get timely hitting and Kapler doesn't overmanage and they make some noise.

Rome

I'm glad they didn't give up the farm for Machado.  At least someone over there is using his head for a change.