Gearhead Thread

Started by Diomedes, January 25, 2007, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shorebird

That thing looks more like a vette than a 'cuda.

Sgt PSN

It looks like neither. 

SD

Leasing vs owning a car...need opinions. Trade in blue book is around $7000 for my car which is paid off.

Sgt PSN

Never noticed the new post in here until now. So did you already trade in for new?  As for lease vs buying, it really depends on how long you plan on keeping the car. If you want to drive a new car every 2-3 years, then leasing would be the way to go. If you want a car for the next decade, then buy.

Don't buy (brand) new though. Take your time and search the web and you'll find plenty of vehicles that are <1 yr old with really low mileage. Expand your search radius to maximize your odds of finding the right car. I found my Mustang on the web. It was about 100 miles from my house, was 1 yr old and had 1300 miles on it. I got it for $8k less than its brand new counterpart. 

Tomahawk

I've never leased so I don't know for sure, but make sure you're aware of any mileage limits or other small print items they may try to use to screw you over.

SD

I like the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee's. $2500 down $375 a month to lease at 15000 miles per year. Black book values my Equionox's trade in value in the $5000-$7000 range. Private sale in the $8000-$9000 range. Seen my exact same make/year/model/color etc. for sale for $10000-$11000. The models I saw had higher mileage than mine. Mine is in immaculate condition. The problem I'm having now is my #1 cylinder isn't firing correctly, there's a miss. Ran a diagnostic test and got a P0301 code. I changed out the coil but that didn't do the trick. Might try changing the cables/plugs next when I get the time. Once I get it running properly I'm going to try to sell it privately. I'm gonna take it in to see what they'll offer for shteins and giggles. Told the dealer I've been talking to I won't accept anything under $7000. Granted it's below what I can get selling it privately but it's probably worth the aggravation. I'm also in no rush.

I looked at a few used cars, too. Don't know if I want to commit to buying a car again when I can just lease a newer model and be done with it in a few years.

Tomahawk

But when you buy, once it's paid off, you could take the $375 or whatever that went toward the payment and spend it on speedballs and hookers

SD

The proper term is hookers and blow

Tomahawk

Yeah, if you're a lightweight

SD

Quote from: SD on January 25, 2014, 04:56:26 PM
I like the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee's. $2500 down $375 a month to lease at 15000 miles per year. Black book values my Equionox's trade in value in the $5000-$7000 range. Private sale in the $8000-$9000 range. Seen my exact same make/year/model/color etc. for sale for $10000-$11000. The models I saw had higher mileage than mine. Mine is in immaculate condition. The problem I'm having now is my #1 cylinder isn't firing correctly, there's a miss. Ran a diagnostic test and got a P0301 code. I changed out the coil but that didn't do the trick. Might try changing the cables/plugs next when I get the time. Once I get it running properly I'm going to try to sell it privately. I'm gonna take it in to see what they'll offer for shteins and giggles. Told the dealer I've been talking to I won't accept anything under $7000. Granted it's below what I can get selling it privately but it's probably worth the aggravation. I'm also in no rush.

I looked at a few used cars, too. Don't know if I want to commit to buying a car again when I can just lease a newer model and be done with it in a few years.

Since this post^^^^: My windshield cracked from this shtein weather...can't figure out why my cylinder is still firing with a miss...changed the coil, the cables and the plugs...still a farging problem...and to top it off the heater core needs to be replaced. I went to 3 different dealerships today, listened to their speals, and played them against each other until I got what I wanted. Traded in my 2008 Equinox which I was really starting to hate and leased a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. Nicest automobile I ever had the pleasure of driving. Has heated seats, heated steering wheel, sirius free for a year, utouch, keyless remote and keyless entry. I signed a 3 year lease, with unlimited mileage and no wear and tear issues when I turn it in for $300 a month.

Tomahawk

Hey Rocky, Germans say spiel...regardless good deal. Not like the deal the corvette museum got:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IukDWhf7U9I

SD

What does "Wait For Green" mean? Is it the same thing as "No Turn On Red"? I looked online and opinions vary.

PhillyPhreak54

I've never seen that before.

Only situation I could think of would be for an intersection where there are no rights on red. But why not just say no right on red?

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SD

They appear to be just in PA.

Am I allowed to turn right on red? That's the big question.