Gearhead Thread

Started by Diomedes, January 25, 2007, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

no light on.....but when im going slow lets say pullling into or out a parking spot or even around a s curve in my neighborhood the tires are like sticking to the road and making a hideous noise

also when hitting the gas to begin to move the gas pedal is fighting my foot if that makes sense...i have to press much harder than normal
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Tomahawk

I'd take it to a mechanic immediately

ice grillin you

you cant do damage to your car if you are driving around in full 4wd correct....its part time that will farg it up...right?

Tomahawk

correct, part time 4wd will farg your vehicle up. does it still make a hideous noise if you're parked and turn the wheel to end of travel in either direction?

ice grillin you

not nearly as bad as when im moving but its making a noise it clearly shouldnt be

Seabiscuit36

Sounds like a stuck differential.  My 4runner is full time 4wd, but its only like turning a boat on concrete when the diff is engaged.  I'd take it to a mechanic, but if you want to do a quick check, look at your fuses.  I blew a fuse on my truck, it engaged the center diff and i couldn't turn it off until I replaced the fuse and did a reboot of the computer.
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

no chance i have any idea what you are talking about much less know how to find any of those things

obviously depends on whats wrong but in general whats a mechanic going to charge for something like this

also can i just have a mechanic completely disable all 4wd options on the car....this is my second car that i basically only use to drive to the train station every day and for tailgating so i just want it to run for the least amount of money possible...and if its a real expensive fix i would probably just get rid of it

Seabiscuit36

what year is your Jeep?  You may have just hit the differential button if it has one.  You cant just disable 4wd.  The easiest thing you can do with 4wd is just to engage it, run it around a parking lot, then disengage it so you ensure that you're lubing the gears.  Everyone else on here is better at mechanic'ing, but i'd look in your manual to see how you can disengage the Center Differential if you have one. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

2003 grand cherokee

if theres a differential button ive never seen one...im assuming that would be inside the car

yeah i guess i have to go to a parking and play with it cause im not 100% sure it can even get out of 4wd pt and into 4wd ft....i have a feeling its permanantly stuck in 4wd pt

Tomahawk

fuse boxes are generally inside the cabin below and to the left of the steering wheel or in or below the glovebox, and/or under the hood on the drivers side up against or close to the firewall. the owner's manual will tell you exactly where it is for your make/model. to reboot the computer, take the positive (+) cable off the battery

it's worth checking and, if necessary, filling the power steering fluid too.

Diomedes

It's been a while since I sought their services, but I'd figure about a hundred bucks an hour for a good mechanic.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhanInDC

Does your Jeep have a low range? Does the 4WD shifter have two options (Hi/Lo)? If that bitch is in 4 Low you'll kill it with the quickness.

In the interim, start the jeep, but the emergency brake on, and put the shifter (PNDL) in neutral. Then try to pull the 4wd drive shifter (while your foot is in on the brake) into neutral. If it goes into neutral, keep your foot on the brake and put it in drive (D) and see if it fixes it.

You can take it to a shop and have it diagnosed, then based on what they find post back up here and it may be something simple you can do yourself. The diagnostic should cost more than $100.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

SD

Little over a month ago I traded in my truck and bought a used 2008 Chevy Equinox with only 54000 miles. Put a little money down too and got real low financing, so my payments are only $150 a month. It drives and looks great, but Chevy's have a bad problem with keys getting stuck in the ignition. The relay wire from the shift assembly to the steering column gets worn down and the solenoid never gets the signal to depress so the key doesn't come out about 50% of the time (you can wiggle it out but it takes a few moments). So I popped the panel under the steering wheel column and depress the solenoid manually. Easy enough solution.

This last week the 'Service Stabilitrack' dummy light comes on. I read some Chevy forums that said it could be a dirty ERG valve. I'm going to pull it out this weekend to see if it's stuck, if it is I'm going to buy a new one and replace it. If that's not the issue I'm going to have a diagnostic done.

Sgt PSN

A dude in Kansas that my girl knows owns a car dealership and last month he bought a 2011 Equinox from Manheim auction and he called her and asked if she'd be willing to drive it to KS for him (full reimbursement of fuel/food/lodging + return flight + $300 cash).  I was cool with it because she got to spend a few days with her parents and I didn't have to pay for it.  Anyway, went down to pick it up and that thing was pretty effing legit.  Really nice looking ride.  She said the ride out there was great.  4cyl too, so she only spent like $150 on gas. 

SD

Damn that's not a bad deal. They're nice but they have their quirks. I bought a v6 and its not too great on gas. 20 gallon tank I fill up every 9 days. I have an hour commute to work too.

I get two years free oil changes and a lifetime warranty on the trans and engine.