Gearhead Thread

Started by Diomedes, January 25, 2007, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhanInDC

J series are so bad ass. I see a Cummins in your future. Looks like it's got solid sheet metal too. Where did you find it?

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Tomahawk

Found it on ebay...it's near Indianapolis, IN. Looks pretty solid with only some surface rust here and there, but it looks worth every penny of 3k...or at least in the past 5ish years I've been looking at these (any model from early 60s to mid 80s), I've seen trucks in much much much worse condition selling for the same or more. It has a 6 cyl Tornado engine....might have to transplant the Buick 455 from the parts car.

I haven't seen the Cummins before....really like the one on the right.

PhillyPhanInDC

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Diomedes

someone quick, put some dirt on those things
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Tomahawk

After at least 3 years of searching, finally found these:

Tomahawk

Finally arrived! According to the flow sheet, these aluminum heads flow about 100 cfm more than the stock iron heads.

MDS

so its probably time for me to turn in the old 97 camry

im thinking of getting a smart car. but i dont know anything about cars. are these good or death traps or what.

by the looks of it they cost less and get good mpgs. obviously they are small but i rarely if ever need to haul stuff and am not in the business of chaperoning people so couldnt care less thats its a 2 seater.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

Ha.

And DIO, how did you miss IGY's Colonel Nathan Jessup reference on the last page?

Seriously, man...

Quote from: ice grillin you on September 28, 2012, 08:38:43 PM
Quote from: Diomedes on September 28, 2012, 05:09:35 PM
a grave danger

is there any other kind

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: MDS on January 07, 2013, 02:50:14 AM
so its probably time for me to turn in the old 97 camry

im thinking of getting a smart car. but i dont know anything about cars. are these good or death traps or what.

by the looks of it they cost less and get good mpgs. obviously they are small but i rarely if ever need to haul stuff and am not in the business of chaperoning people so couldnt care less thats its a 2 seater.

Smart cars are European "City" cars. They are designed for much smaller European city streets, parking spaces, and garages. On the whole, you pay about the same, get less MPG, and give up a ton of space when compared to your more standard econobox offerings. Americans are dumb (not saying you are), and they equate the tiny size to some outrageous gain in MPG. The fact is, the motors and drivelines in the Smart scale to the size of the vehicle, so they are woefully underpowered (read: scary as shtein when merging, etc) and whatever savings is made by the size/weight is lost by the fact the engine needs to be buzzed constantly to keep up on American roads. If it comes down to coin, I'd look at the new Ford Fiesta, a Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, or Mazda2.

Seabiscuit36

Smart Cars are the worst.  The idiots who have them, yet drive 20 miles to work on I95, just amazing.  Like PPinDC said, they're meant for small streets in italy, not Texas.  I'd take a look at the Subaru BRZ, has the looks, the handling, and good mileage. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

PhillyPhanInDC

All that being said, I am a fan of a few Smart cars (with GSXR motors in them):

http://youtu.be/9X-9hclb820

MDS

thanks for the feedback...thats kind of what i thought about smartcars anyway. the yaris looks to be in the same price zone, so id rather just go after something like that.

question is how much can i get for my camry. currently
- it has 125,000 miles on it
- the front door doesnt have a handle on the outside or inside
- a break light doesnt work
- there is a turn signal missing
- the front bumper is farged up
- the back bumper is farged up
- there is a huge dent in the side after someone slammed into me

who wants 4 good tires, some steel and three doors?
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Dillen

You might as well ride it out til it dies. My pops still has an Oldsmobile from 1996.. he would get like $500 for it, better off just keeping it

reese125

words cant describe how angry i get when i see a friggin smart car on the road

i used to bust on rjs's for his prius, but god damn the smart car takes the cake. the fact that mds wants this or a yari makes me happy because it only verifies even more why i dislike him. thank you.