Gearhead Thread

Started by Diomedes, January 25, 2007, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

Nope.  The drag racing uncle cuts fabric for tranny fashion shows.

He's talking about the hair dresser uncle.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

The hair dressing uncle works on a different kind of tranny.

SD

Quote from: Diomedes on July 11, 2012, 09:16:02 PM
Nope.  The drag racing uncle cuts fabric for tranny fashion shows.

He's talking about the hair dresser uncle.

lol

Quote from: Sgt PSN on July 11, 2012, 09:15:03 PM
Same uncle that does the drag racing, right?

My Grandfather started the business in the late 50's, eventually passed it on to his oldest son which is my Uncle, who is passing it on to his oldest son who is my cousin.

Tomahawk

Should I get tuned port fuel injection (TPI) for the '72 Riv?

I love the carb and have spent countless hours learning about the quadrabeast and getting it dialed in, but the problem with any carb is it will only be tuned for the atmospheric conditions at the moment when you tune it. The company that sells the $3,750 injection kit (includes intake manifold and everything else needed) claims "results vary based on each combination but 6-8 more miles per gallon are average and 20-75 HP gains have been reported." If mpg really increases that much, it would pay for itself after a while.

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: Tomahawk on July 12, 2012, 12:16:18 PM
Should I get tuned port fuel injection (TPI) for the '72 Riv?

I love the carb and have spent countless hours learning about the quadrabeast and getting it dialed in, but the problem with any carb is it will only be tuned for the atmospheric conditions at the moment when you tune it. The company that sells the $3,750 injection kit (includes intake manifold and everything else needed) claims "results vary based on each combination but 6-8 more miles per gallon are average and 20-75 HP gains have been reported." If mpg really increases that much, it would pay for itself after a while.

I assume you are talking about the T/A Performance kit. It's a well built kit, offered by a great company. When I was building motors for my father's GSs (400s, 455s, one stroked 455) we looked into the kit. Almost $4,000 is way too much money though (probably more that double what you have in the motor already). If you wanted the performance, reliability, and cool factor, I'd recommend a newer Chevy LS motor. You can get them for about two grand, and they will blow the doors off the old Buick lumps in terms of mileage and performance. Spend the extra 2k on a blower/turbo setup.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Tomahawk

Damn dude that's pretty sweet, but I'm one of those guys who wants to keep the Buick engine in the Buick car. Fuel injecting a classic engine is difficult for me to even think of doing, especially at that price point. I am talking about the kit from TA, but after all the machine shop work and parts (oil pan, cam and dual groove bearings, intake, pistons and accessories, shorty headers, crankshaft, TA's timing cover, mini-starter and alternator from dude on v8buick, and new TC from TSP) I probably have $3,500+ in it already. I'll probably buy the TA heads at some point too.

I haven't actually received the converter yet, but from what I understand, it should be a dramatic improvement over the stock TC even though the cam is fairly mild (223 IN/230 EX @.050).

PhillyPhanInDC

Keep a Buick motor in it then. Put a 231 from a GN in it and call it a day. A mild build would do 450 all day, and would be a mild manner gas sipping V6 when you keep your foot out of the boost. If I am not mistaken, the TA kit STARTS at 3k+ just for the fuel injection. That'd make your old Buick lump 5k+ all in. Unless it's a full-tilt race motor, I'm sorry to say, it's a gigantic waste of money.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Diomedes

I wish I knew what the farg you guys are talking about because I can tell it's really really fun.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Diomedes on July 16, 2012, 05:29:50 PM
I wish I knew what the farg you guys are talking about because I can tell it's really really fun.

My thoughts exactly. 

PhillyPhanInDC

Holley makes a bolt on 4 barrel fuel injection carburetor replacement for less than a grand. If you only are after the dependability and fuel savings....that'd be the ticket imo

http://www.holley.com/550-400.asp

Tomahawk

Thanks for the link...I had no idea a product like that was available. Do you think I'd have to buy a new intake because a spreadbore (intake) to squarebore (carb) adapter plate would throw then sensors off?

As far as the Grand National motor goes, the chances of me keeping out of boost are minimal. I see what you're saying about it being a waste of money, but this is the car that I'm going to be buried in.

Quote from: Diomedes on July 16, 2012, 05:29:50 PM

We're talking about cars

PhillyPhanInDC

You could talk with Holley, they're good folks. You might have to buy an aftermarket manifold, the Edelbrock B4B is a great street manifold and would likely work perfectly with that kit.

[imghttp://www.taperformance.com/prodimages/large/TA_1211.jpg[/img]
http://www.taperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TA_1211

Tomahawk

I already have the TA-SP1 intake and minutes ago ordered a set of their heads. The rep said a guy with an extremely similar combination (same cam, pistons, and bore, but a 1.6 rocker ratio instead of my stock 1.55) had it dynoed at 505 hp and 538 lb-ft torque, assumedly at the flywheel.

She's going to remain naturally aspirated for the foreseeable future.

Tomahawk

Next up: Rims

Having the stock 15" diameter 5" wide wheels is unacceptable. Not wanting to sacrifice ride quality, I don't think a dub over 17" dia is necessary. Sacrificing the ability to rotate, I'm thinking 10" wide rims in the back and 8" inch up front. I've always liked the Cragar S/S but welcome other opinions.

The car is going to be painted a blueish grey if that makes a difference