Soccer

Started by Diomedes, July 09, 2009, 06:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

EPL Championship Sunday today.  Hundreds of millions on the line in UCL payouts to the top 3 and three teams still have a shot at the third spot. 

If Man Utd wins they're in.  Any other number of scenarios are in play but that's the list for me today. 

Rome

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Rome

I know it's sarcasm but I'll take it. 

At least they managed to get the entire season into the books.
Gotta give it up to them for that at least.

Geowhizzer

The Union is kicking Kansas City's ass tonight.

MDS

union finally having their welcome to philadelphia moment

heavily favored after a great regular season, pooping their pants at home against an inferior opponent with a detestable head coach

one of us one of us one of us
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Geowhizzer

Yeah, they're "pulling a Philly" and choking big time.

ice grillin you

can you choke if no one really knew they were playing last night much less what place they or who they were playing came in this year?

I honestly thought the mls season ended in the summer when they were doing a bubble...I had no idea the season was still going til I saw this thread this morning
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

i think you can say that about any individual mls season

mls always runs its playoffs in like oct-dec area, right in the heart of football when it gets buried. they get much more attention during the summer when theres less going on. this was my first game since last seasons union playoff loss.

QB Eagles

I live less than a mile from the Portland Timbers stadium and I would have guessed the season ended two months ago too. Pre pandemic was a different story, but everything that would usually tell me there's a home game -- traffic, noise, crowds of pedestrians -- no longer applies.

ice grillin you

Quote from: MDS on November 25, 2020, 09:27:44 AM
i think you can say that about any individual mls season

mls always runs its playoffs in like oct-dec area, right in the heart of football when it gets buried. they get much more attention during the summer when theres less going on. this was my first game since last seasons union playoff loss.

what was the bubble thing they did that was like the first sport to start after the lockdown??...i thought that was the season
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

i honestly dont even remember if that was before baseball

the bubble tourney counted toward regular season games, they were trying to bide team and figure out what they wanted to do. so it was both a random made up covid tourney and games that counted toward the standings of a fake year

i dont know

Rome

The MLS will never be taken seriously until it does two things:

1st... Institute a relegation system.  No self-respecting league in the world operates without one. Also - there's already too many teams.  Cutting a few of them each year will bring better players and not just those looking for a golden parachute from Europe.

2nd... Switch the season to play fall and winter like every other league on the planet.  Playing in summer is a joke especially if they're truly interested in becoming a player for elite, non-fossilized talent.

Until they act like a major league and play by the same rules as everyone else, they will never be taken as anything but a novelty act.

MDS

none of those things are ever happening

owners have no incentive to go pro/rel and cost themselves money when they get bumped down

they would also get killed in attendance with winter gates. nobody wants to go to a farging soccer game in february.