The Race(ism)/Hate Thread

Started by ice grillin you, May 17, 2006, 08:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Diomedes

we're just too nice to these people...they did not deserve rescue, should have been left to drown

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/06/02/video-boat-fire-harassing-prideflags/
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

phattymatty

Yeah I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have let them burn to death but I would have been much meaner to them.

Rome

Offer them Miller Lite after their rescues?

ice grillin you

man this thing in Ontario is sickening
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

we are a horrible species...wipe out all humans
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Diomedes

honest question here:

when someone is described as being anit-semitic, we all understand that to mean they hate the Jews. 

But the word Semite means any of the people who speak a Semitic language (Arabic, Hebrew, Amharic, Aramaic, Tigrinya, and others.)

How did "anti-Semitic" come to mean only hatred of the Hebrew-speaking Semites? 

PhillyPhreak54

Morning shower thought?

I don't know the answer to that but it would be interesting to read the history on it.

Rome

Speaking of anti-Semitic pieces of shtein, Marge Greene (Q-GA) went to the Holocaust museum and discovered that 6,000,000 humans being incinerated was a bad thing. 

Diomedes

Quote from: Diomedes on June 16, 2021, 06:28:43 AMhonest question here:
How did "anti-Semitic" come to mean only hatred of the Hebrew-speaking Semites? 

tl;dr :  it's a misnomer.  but language doesn't follow logic, it follows usage, which is human and so you get words like this one

QuoteAnti-Semitism, hostility toward or discrimination against Jews as a religious or racial group. The term anti-Semitism was coined in 1879 by the German agitator Wilhelm Marr to designate the anti-Jewish campaigns under way in central Europe at that time. Although the term now has wide currency, it is a misnomer, since it implies a discrimination against all Semites. Arabs and other peoples are also Semites, and yet they are not the targets of anti-Semitism as it is usually understood. The term is especially inappropriate as a label for the anti-Jewish prejudices, statements, or actions of Arabs or other Semites. Nazi anti-Semitism, which culminated in the Holocaust, had a racist dimension in that it targeted Jews because of their supposed biological characteristics—even those who had themselves converted to other religions or whose parents were converts. This variety of anti-Jewish racism dates only to the emergence of so-called "scientific racism" in the 19th century and is different in nature from earlier anti-Jewish prejudices.

PhillyPhreak54

The Happy Juneteenth FB posts from the Phillies went as expected.

Racists galore

ice grillin you

i cannot believe how many people who call themselves liberals are still on that cesspool of a site

PhillyPhreak54

ice grillin you

SD