Thread for Hippos to mock Penn State

Started by PoopyfaceMcGee, February 02, 2006, 09:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunMo

i think reily is an overwrought overdramatic douchebag, especially on tv.  but that article was a good one
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

MDS

NYTimes just dropped the hammer on paterno and his money grubbing family

Fraudpa
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Sgt PSN

Guessing you're talking about this one.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/14/sports/ncaafootball/joe-paterno-got-richer-contract-amid-jerry-sandusky-inquiry.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&hp

The family is really coming off like scum. The guy allowed a child rapist to operate for over a decade and they're worried about having a suite for the next 25 years or if his wife can use the farging gym? 

Drunkmasterflex

Curious as to what everybody thinks about the "death penalty" talk? To me if the NCAA gets involved that is pandora's box they are opening.
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Drunkmasterflex on July 14, 2012, 01:50:06 PM
Curious as to what everybody thinks about the "death penalty" talk? To me if the NCAA gets involved that is pandora's box they are opening.

Initially I was against it because I felt that it was a punishment reserved for NCAA violations.  But the fact that this was known about by so many people and covered up for so long, I can't think anything less than the death penalty is acceptable. Sucks for the players because they had nothing to do with it, but this was an institutional cover up.

Drunkmasterflex

Then they should suspend all sports because it wasn't just to protect the football program.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Sgt PSN

Not sure I'd go that far. The football program is Penn St and its not like the basketball coach or women's volleyball coach were involved.  In fact, had this happened with any sport other than football I think they may have reported it. But football is the golden goose at PSU and they were trying to protect it. No reason at all for all student athletes to pay the price. It's bad enough that the football players would get caught in the cross fire.

MDS

after this season you have to drop the hammer. 5 years. done. gives everyone associated with the program time to find new gigs next year and call it a day.

you cant penalize a program for paying players then let it slide when they cover up child abuse
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: MDS on July 14, 2012, 05:01:58 PM
after this season you have to drop the hammer. 5 years. done. gives everyone associated with the program time to find new gigs next year and call it a day.

you cant penalize a program for paying players then let it slide when they cover up child abuse

If you're going to drop the hammer, you just do it.

Drunkmasterflex

I get what both of you are saying but it transcends football. They were doing it to protect the schools im which goes way beyond football.

Its tough all around because if the NCAA hammers them a lot more people than just the abuse victims suffer. Its almost an eye for an eye scenario.....which I can't get behind.

In this situation there is no right answer.

PoopyfaceMcGee

MDS

Quote from: FastFreddie on July 14, 2012, 05:16:09 PMIf you're going to drop the hammer, you just do it.

you cant now. not fair to the guys on the team, not fair to the coaches, not fair to the other teams on the schedule and the people who already bought tickets and made plans to go __ game. you take away postseason and shtein but you have to let them play on this year.

Quote from: Drunkmasterflex on July 14, 2012, 05:21:15 PM
I get what both of you are saying but it transcends football. They were doing it to protect the schools im which goes way beyond football.

Its tough all around because if the NCAA hammers them a lot more people than just the abuse victims suffer. Its almost an eye for an eye scenario.....which I can't get behind.

In this situation there is no right answer.

it goes beyond football but then again it doesnt. its not some teacher who was fondling kids in the cafeteria while the president and bot covered it up. its the ex coach with the statue and wins the record, its the president, the AD and its the BOT paying out $5 million to the family of the old coach and giving them a farging luxury box for games.

penn st just doesnt get it, hasnt gotten it and will never get it unless they are punished.

PoopyfaceMcGee

It's never going to be fair to anyone, and that's not the point. In fact, the less fair the better if you want to send a message to other programs about how they choose to prioritize football over basic human decency.

The collateral damage from shutting down a program of that size will be massive. This year, next year... It barely matters.

Drunkmasterflex

Quote from: FastFreddie on July 14, 2012, 05:30:39 PM
It's never going to be fair to anyone, and that's not the point. In fact, the less fair the better if you want to send a message to other programs about how they choose to prioritize football over basic human decency.

The collateral damage from shutting down a program of that size will be massive. This year, next year... It barely matters.

If people don't get it by now I am not sure they ever will. I just don't see how punishing people that had nothing to do with it makes a difference.

There really is no right or wrong answer here. You could suspend football for ten years and there wpuld still be people trying to be JoePa apologists.

Rome

I can't stand Penn State but shuttering the entire program would be ridiculously punitive.  Punish those bastiches responsible harshly but the program should go on.