4th AB
Score: 4-3 STL
0 runners on base w/ 0 outs
Pitcher: Jason Isringhausen (RHP)
Ground out to SS

Totals: 0-3 0 HR 1 RBI 0 R 0 BB 0 K - minor impact

Rome

Did you even see the play?

It was a short pop fly just over Utley's head, Jay.  I'm not saying he had to lay himself out flat to make the catch either.  All he had to do was hustle a bit and slide to make it.  He didn't even do that.

I told you before I'm not a crazy basher like some of the other fools out there.  But that play could have and should have been made.  Had he made a better break on the ball and gave it an all-out effort, he could have made the catch and if he jumped up immediately, with the gun he has, he could have held the runner at third.

Of course, we'll never know that now, will we?

PhillyPhreak54

Yep, I saw it. And I saw him calling "I got it" on the replay. Then he realized he couldn't get to it and played it on the hop. I had no beef with it falling in because if he dives, the runs still scores.

This is what bothers me about the Abreu stuff. He makes a play that you see happen a lot in the course of a day in the bigs and people act like he is just this lazy bum out there who doesn't care about shtein. That ain't the case. And the whole Bobby hate thing (not on this MB necessarily) has gone to the point where people incessantly bash him for stupid shtein like he's just out there collecting a paycheck and doesn't give two shteins about winning.

Rome

Calm down and realize that I simply said that I was disappointed in his effort on that play.  He could have and should have made the catch there.  That's how I saw it.  If you think that's me bashing him irrationally then you're wrong, amigo.

PhillyPhreak54

Sorry. :-[

I got 14 messages from my boys at work saying "ooooh, your boy is a bum" and then I log on and see the hate on the Phils MBs too.

MDS

are people really blaming this game on bobby? not the pitching, not loserthal, not the offense as a whole accounting for 3 runs? damn this town and their stupidity.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Yes. Because if Bobby makes that catch and holds the runner and doesn't ground out with a runner on 2nd and draws a walk in the 9th we win. At least thats the way some of the nitwits see it, including my ignorant boys.

MDS

I could make the obligatory joke about who your "boys" are, but you know, it's too easy.

Bobby still rules!!
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

My boys = friends.

Something you don't have, jerky.

Rome

MDS has to solicit friends with offers of fellatio apparently.

Also - Loserthal handed that game to the Cruds tonight.  His throwing error started it and his stillupfronty weak ass ground out to end the game sealed the deal.

I'm all for pitching his ass over the side on the next space shuttle mission.

MDS

this is why im depressed. my self-esteem is so low.  :(

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on April 05, 2006, 10:42:24 PM
I don't mind Abreu not getting the catch.  What I mind is seeing him ease up on the ball rather than diving for it.

$13.5M should buy you more than that guy.

I'm sorry but that's how I feel.  If that makes me a "hater" then so be it.

Hater.  ;)

I wasn't pleased with that effort, either.  To me, it was indecision or uncertainty about making the catch after calling for it.

That being said, that is a play that happens with a fair amount of regularity in MLB.  The ball was hit in just the right spot.  There isn't an RF that's played regularly that hasn't muffed a play like that several times in the course of a season.  Abreu has the Philly spotlight, though, so he gets railed for it more.

Rome

Maybe he gets railed for it because he rarely, if ever, gets his fricken uniform dirty playing the position?

I mean, really, how many times have you seen Abreu give up himself to try and make a catch?

Like I said, Geo, for the kind of dough the motherfarger makes, it would be nice to see him play balls-out just once.  But you get what you get with him so pulling one's hair out over it is pointless.

SunMo

while Bobby didn't do much to help them win, he most certainly wasn't at fault for the loss. 

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: Sun_Mo on April 06, 2006, 07:47:19 AM
while Bobby didn't do much to help them win, he most certainly wasn't at fault for the loss. 

exactly.

Holy shtein, I can't even believe what I am reading? lmfao.

Pathetic.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen