Anyone had a good meal at a restaurant lately?

Started by Rome, March 08, 2006, 02:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

paco

I'm not from Philly but some say I'm blunt.

phattymatty

french laundry is on my bucket list of places to eat but it's like a minimum $300 per person to eat there. i have no problem throwing down cash for a good meal but i can't imagine anything being that good.

ice grillin you

ive never paid over a 150 for a meal that i wasnt dissapointed in....places that charge 300-600 for a meal should be nuked...never eaten at french laundry or per se but if you wanna eat a french meal somewhere famous just go to les halles...or even a not famous but really good nyc french bistro and youll get an as good or better meal for a third of the price

inn at little washington which youve probably eaten at matty is a perfect example of this....i went cause it was rated one of the ten best restaurants in the world and left wanting to stab the proprieters in the throat for stealing from me
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

charlie

if you're going to pay, at minimum, 300 per person to eat at a french restaurant... it may be the same cost to just go to france.

DH

So, the meal was pretty good...started off with tuna tartar strips w/ some avacado suace - best part of the meal. Then had some soup and finished of w the beef tenderloin. The dessert came out at 1230, which I didnt eat, but holy shtein it looked good.

Overall, I was more impressed by the service than I was the food. I wouldn't run to go back there, but if I wasn't paying, I'd certainly recommend.

For 7 people, with 2 bottles of wine and a few cocktails, we probably spent 2G's. Not my money, so I was happy.

hbionic

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 12, 2011, 10:13:52 AM
ive never paid over a 150 for a meal that i wasnt dissapointed in....places that charge 300-600 for a meal should be nuked...never eaten at french laundry or per se but if you wanna eat a french meal somewhere famous just go to les halles...or even a not famous but really good nyc french bistro and youll get an as good or better meal for a third of the price

inn at little washington which youve probably eaten at matty is a perfect example of this....i went cause it was rated one of the ten best restaurants in the world and left wanting to stab the proprieters in the throat for stealing from me

:-D
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Sgt PSN

Quote from: DH on October 12, 2011, 12:22:59 PM
So, the meal was pretty good...started off with tuna tartar strips w/ some avacado suace - best part of the meal. Then had some soup and finished of w the beef tenderloin. The dessert came out at 1230, which I didnt eat, but holy shtein it looked good.

Overall, I was more impressed by the service than I was the food. I wouldn't run to go back there, but if I wasn't paying, I'd certainly recommend.

For 7 people, with 2 bottles of wine and a few cocktails, we probably spent 2G's. Not my money, so I was happy.

I can probably count on 1 hand how many times I've gone to a restaurant where you spend more than $100/person and that is more  or less how I feel about high priced dining.  Not to say that the food wasn't delicious, but given my income, it will be very hard for me to drop c notes on dinner and say "that was totally worth the cost" based on the meal alone.  When you fork out that kind of cash, you're paying for service and atmosphere just as much as you're paying for the food.  And in my few high priced dining experiences, the service and ambiance, along with the food, made the experience worth the price. 

Diomedes

Congratulations on managing to enjoy an expensive meal.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

PhillyPhreak54

I have never been a "foodie" so I could never imagine dropping a bill a person (or more) for dinner.

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on October 12, 2011, 07:44:17 PM
I have never been a "foodie" so I could never imagine dropping a bill a person (or more) for dinner.

a hundy is nothing for a good meal and has nothing to do with being a foodie....a top notch steak house is a bill without even thinking....its when you start getting into the 200+ range that it becomes foodieism
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

reese125

if you're dropping 200+ beans per person, there had better be lots of alcohol involved on your side of the bill because there is no single food in the world worth dropping that much money on. none.

unless of course you just feel like dropping $200,000 on a piece of white truffle one saturday night.

DH

In the right state of mind, I'm pretty sure I'd pay $200 for a perfect tomato pie..

rjs246

Exactly. Value is in the eye (mouth?) of the beholder.

I love all of the indignant "I would never pay x-amount for a meal, you're all idiots!" shtein.

You pay that much for the experience. Food is food. Even the best food on earth is still chewed, swallowed and shtein out a few hours later. You pay more for the experience of something new/different. If you can't wrap your heads around that you probably aren't very smart.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.