Anyone had a good meal at a restaurant lately?

Started by Rome, March 08, 2006, 02:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD

Quote from: Sgt PSN on June 12, 2011, 10:16:43 PM
Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans yes.  Mexicans not so much.  Accept it....best Mexican food around from now on is Chilis and Taco Bell.

Best I've had in the area is Baja Fresh and that's a chain joint. The closest one is about 20 minutes away in Abington...when I was at PSU Abington I'd eat there twice a week. Why do places like Chipotle and California Tortilla think that people want a burrito full of rice?

If you're ever in PT. Loma go to Santana's and get the California Burrito. It's as good if not better any cheesesteak you'll ever eat. 

Sgt PSN

Blasphemy, but I'll still check them out.  I'll be making a trip down to the medical clinic on Pt Loma in the next week or 2 anyway, so I'll stop by then. 

PhillyPhreak54

Lotta Mexican folks up that way now, Sarge.

I ate at a place in Norristown a few years ago that was pretty good. I cant remember the name of the place but I was skeptical until we got there.

SunMo

i know it's not close, but there is a place in quakertown i really like.  it's one of those places you drive past everyday and don't even realize it's there.  it's a little hole in the wall place with soccer always on the television and the people barely speak english.  i think the food is really good, but i've never had the fabled SoCal mexican food.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

phattymatty

Quote from: paco on April 08, 2011, 09:13:24 AM
For the DC folks, had dinner at Oya the other night. I've literally walked past it hundreds of times and never realized how nice it was. Coconut rice bowl and shrimp was a good choice.

yeah i dig oya...a little fancy for an everyday dinner place but i've always liked the food.

they also do a $20 3 course lunch every day thats a pretty good deal.

charlie

Quote from: SD on June 12, 2011, 10:21:33 PM
Quote from: Sgt PSN on June 12, 2011, 10:16:43 PM
Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans yes.  Mexicans not so much.  Accept it....best Mexican food around from now on is Chilis and Taco Bell.

Best I've had in the area is Baja Fresh and that's a chain joint. The closest one is about 20 minutes away in Abington...when I was at PSU Abington I'd eat there twice a week. Why do places like Chipotle and California Tortilla think that people want a burrito full of rice?

If you're ever in PT. Loma go to Santana's and get the California Burrito. It's as good if not better any cheesesteak you'll ever eat.

Look up either Los Sarapes or Rey Azteca in the area close to horsham.. both are pretty good.

SD

Thanks for the suggestion. I asked one of my bilingual co-workers and he said there's a place in South Philly in little Mexico that's very good. Gonna check it out on Wednesday.

paco

Any of the DC folks been to Asian Spice?  Going there in about 30 with some coworkers.
I'm not from Philly but some say I'm blunt.

paco

Quote from: phattymatty on June 13, 2011, 09:02:41 AM
Quote from: paco on April 08, 2011, 09:13:24 AM
For the DC folks, had dinner at Oya the other night. I've literally walked past it hundreds of times and never realized how nice it was. Coconut rice bowl and shrimp was a good choice.

yeah i dig oya...a little fancy for an everyday dinner place but i've always liked the food.

they also do a $20 3 course lunch every day thats a pretty good deal.
Yeah, definatly a bit on the $$$, but we went there for a going away dinner.

I had their box lunch last thursday because of the heat I didnt want to walk more than 20 feet to get lunch.  It was good, but no where near as good as a normal dinner.  $10 got a sammich, chips and a small dessert.

Quote from: BigEd76 on June 12, 2011, 11:46:02 AM
dunno if paco has ever been in this area, but I had dinner at Maxwells Steakhouse a few nights ago

Quote8 oz. Hand Cutayt, Truffled Potato Puree, Sautéed Jumbo Asparagus, Cabernet Demi-Glace

so basically steak, a scoop of mashed potatoes and 4 strands of asparagus. Appetizers were the usual bread/butter, then olives, then pita and hummus.  The usual house salad (the crappy kind with plant leaves and almost no dressing) before the meal, and dessert was a choice of peach cobbler w/ vanilla ice cream or a double fudge cake.
Looks good!  If I ever make it down that ways, I'll have to check it out.  95% of the time I am either in RMNP, the Breck\Silverthorne\etc area or around Guanella Pass when I do my hikes, so its pretty rare for me to be as far south as CO Springs (without traffic, its an hour and 15 minute drive, with... forgetaboutit)
I'm not from Philly but some say I'm blunt.

SD

Any feedback on Fat Jacks BBQ? I usually go to Sweet Lucy's BBQ on State Road but it's a 20 minute drive from my house. They just opened a Fat Jacks 5 minutes from me.

SD

Had some Fat Jacks BBQ pulled pork after work today. It was decent, nothing to write home about but definitely a place I could run to on the fly if I'm hungry. For good BBQ I'd opt to drive to Sweet Lucy's. You all care.

Rome

There's a great Mexican (Tex-Mex) place in A.C. called Los Amigos.

Freaking phenomenal chicken nachos and they serve pitchers(!) of margaritas.

smeags

went to cancun in langhorne not too long ago. not bad.

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

SD

Quote from: smeags on June 30, 2011, 03:55:40 PM
went to cancun in langhorne not too long ago. not bad.

I'm gonna try it based off this review

smeags

be sure you do. the waiters all wear "ill" shirts.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it