Anyone had a good meal at a restaurant lately?

Started by Rome, March 08, 2006, 02:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DH

speaking of nyc spots, i ate at the famed caragie deli last week for the first time ever..got myself a rueben for $28 which tasted about as good as a $9 rueben would. not sure what all the hype is about that place.

Sgt PSN

Isn't that the deli that Letterman sometimes features on his show?  Because that's probably where most of the hype comes from.  $28 for a sammich....gtfo.  If I'm paying $28, that sammich better be sprinkled with shavings of Jessica Alba's mud nickle. 

DH

could be...i dont watch letterman

i also didnt pay for the sammich..thats what the corporate amex is for

rjs246

For reference the braised pork dinner entree that the ladyfriend ate at my buddy's place, which was farging delicious, I believe was $24. And DH paid $28 for a farging sandwich. farg that.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Don Ho

Lettermen hypes up "Hello Deli" which is next door to the Ed Sullivan theater.  They are more famous for the "The Late Show" merchandise they sell and appearances by the owner, Rupert Jee, on the show
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Sgt PSN

Meh, probably the same difference anyway.  I just knew that there was a deli right next door that he sometimes gives some free pub/advertising to. 

Don Ho

I just can't get over $28 for a Rueben Sandwich!  I realize it's NYC but good lord. "Lunch for two please".  "Right this way sir  That'll be $75."
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Don Ho on March 15, 2011, 01:59:58 PM
I just can't get over $28 for a Rueben Sandwich!  I realize it's NYC but good lord. "Lunch for two please".  "Right this way sir  That'll be $75."

that cost has way more to do with the carnagie than it does nyc

katz's is a better representation of the city (and a far better sandwich)....theres is like 15
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

IGY's pretentiousness not withstanding, he's right about Katz's, although both places are tourist traps now.

Don Ho

I could imagine.  I have heard of Katz's.  Isn't it a little more off the beaten path than the Carnagie Deli?

I'll be bombarding you guys for recommendations on where to get the best Cheese Steak next time in Philadelphia.  When we were there in 07 lot of the locals sent us to Jim's.  From what I understand some of the best Cheese Steak joints aren't even in the city.

ice grillin you

for MA visitors katz is way off the beaten path...ie its not in or near times square...but in general its not out of the way at all...its LES/east village territory...nothing in manhatten is out of the way

imo the best steaks are almost exclusively in the city....its just that most of the best ones are not in center city/south phil where most visitors are going to go...

great hoagies on the other hand can be found all over the delaware valley

DH

had mccormicks and schmicks for lunch a few days back and got some turkey burger special...first turkey burger ive had in years and id highly recommend it. Came with avocados, fried onion strings, swiss and some house sauce. real good for a chain type..

Don Ho

Ate at McCormick & Schmicks for the first time while in Chicago last month.  The Chilean Sea Bass was one of the best pieces of fish I've had in years. 

PoopyfaceMcGee

Yeah, they have a lot of really good food there, and considering the local joints all fry their seafood, it's some of the best available in the exciting RDU metro area.

The best part is that happy hour drink specials can't occur in NC. If you want to discount alcohol, you have to do it all day long. So, McCormick & Schmick's has a killer happy hour with CHEAP food specials instead. Like 8oz bacon cheeseburger for $3.95 cheap.

ice grillin you

just got back from one of my favorite places in the world

http://www.jeremysalehouse.com/

got there at 845 this morning and pounded 32 oz styrofoam cups of beer since

unbelievable food as well....seafood that will make the bathing suit area quake...best clam strips ive ever had in my life

soon to be off to http://www.standingsbar.com/ awesome sports bar with the nba package....LETS GO SIXERS!!....DO THIS!