We're All Gonna Die

Started by Geowhizzer, March 07, 2020, 10:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunt

Quote from: Munson on March 11, 2020, 02:52:01 PM
Yeah i was trying to be generous in the best case scenario direction. It can be waaaay worse if it's more towards that end of things.

Also just heard on KYW1060 that apparently scientists released a study today showing it survives up to 2-3 hours in the air and 2-3 days on plastic and metal surfaces. This shtein is very much not the flu. However, I can't find any evidence of this study on the internet right now so can't look at it

https://time.com/5801278/coronavirus-stays-on-surfaces-days-tests/
lemonade was a popular drink and it still is

QB Eagles

Quote from: Diomedes on March 11, 2020, 02:44:43 PM
global death rates more like 3.65% by my count.

that rate should be inflated as presumably a lot of people had COVID-19, got better, and were not captured in the "infected" figures...but there's also a huge difference between 3.65% and 1%

South Korea has had the most widespread testing and their rate is roughly around 0.8% right now. I suspect even that is inflated, since asymptomatic, mild symptom, and otherwise healthy people are not likely to seek out testing, and testing *should* focus on the elderly and already infirm.

It'll be a while before a broad enough cross-section of people are tested to say too much intelligently about death rate.

Honestly don't see huge differences between this and the flu, other than that this is new and people are panicking. And, to preempt a likely response, I'm definitely not a MAGA guy.

PhillyPhreak54

Following up on the Rodeo cancellation; last year it generated $227M in economic impact and 3700 jobs.

Huge hit

Munson

Quote from: hunt on March 11, 2020, 03:13:24 PM
Quote from: Munson on March 11, 2020, 02:52:01 PM
Yeah i was trying to be generous in the best case scenario direction. It can be waaaay worse if it's more towards that end of things.

Also just heard on KYW1060 that apparently scientists released a study today showing it survives up to 2-3 hours in the air and 2-3 days on plastic and metal surfaces. This shtein is very much not the flu. However, I can't find any evidence of this study on the internet right now so can't look at it

https://time.com/5801278/coronavirus-stays-on-surfaces-days-tests/

Thank you Hunt.

Found the tidbit about SARS interesting. I assumed this virus would be more sturdy than SARS but apparently not.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

General_Failure

All the conventions are getting cancelled. Small-time artists are going to lose a lot of income from not making sales at those shows.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Munson

Quote from: QB Eagles on March 11, 2020, 03:54:04 PM
Quote from: Diomedes on March 11, 2020, 02:44:43 PM
global death rates more like 3.65% by my count.

that rate should be inflated as presumably a lot of people had COVID-19, got better, and were not captured in the "infected" figures...but there's also a huge difference between 3.65% and 1%

South Korea has had the most widespread testing and their rate is roughly around 0.8% right now. I suspect even that is inflated, since asymptomatic, mild symptom, and otherwise healthy people are not likely to seek out testing, and testing *should* focus on the elderly and already infirm.

It'll be a while before a broad enough cross-section of people are tested to say too much intelligently about death rate.

Honestly don't see huge differences between this and the flu, other than that this is new and people are panicking. And, to preempt a likely response, I'm definitely not a MAGA guy.

I think the biggest difference so far is that this is more contagious than the flu is. And IIRC, the flu death rate is like .4%, so even a rate of 0.8% would be double the flu.

Right now though I think the biggest danger still is the potential for the outbreak to get bad enough fast enough that our health care system gets overwhelmed ala Italy, which'll mean a lot more deaths than otherwise wouldn't happen. Once we get through that initial outbreak, it should go back to normal and hopefully the disease disappears completely, if not becomes rare and/or something we vaccinate for
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Munson

Rome

My girl's university suspended all f2f classes and is moving everything online for at least the next three weeks.  They've had ZERO cases reported thus far. 

That's how serious this is. 

Motherfargers nationwide need to smarten up.

Munson

Tom Hanks and his wife Rita Wilson tested positive.

From a "people need to get serious" perspective, this might...actually help?

Munson

Quote from: Rome on March 11, 2020, 08:11:17 PM
My girl's university suspended all f2f classes and is moving everything online for at least the next three weeks.  They've had ZERO cases reported thus far. 

That's how serious this is. 

Motherfargers nationwide need to smarten up.

Our district has a protocol in place right now as they prep for it. We're in "Phase 2" right now, if it gets to "Phase 4" they're closing down

PhillyPhreak54

I didn't watch or listen to President Dipshtein but my girlfriend texted that he said he's suspending travel and cargo from Europe beginning Friday for a month.

MDS

feel like 2 famous people getting corona is going to lead to a massive lockdown fairly soon

my company has been making us take our laptops home each night as a precuation

i for one welcome coronafest2020 leggo
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

NBA has suspended the season

Whoa

PhillyPhreak54

PhillyPhreak54