07/08 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, October 07, 2007, 01:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingspan

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on October 10, 2007, 10:35:32 AM
Quote from: Wingspan on October 10, 2007, 10:24:51 AM

It's fairly obvious that you are saying this looking at the records alone.

How else should I look at it? 

Cholly's been the manager for three years and had winning records just like Ozark.  They've yet to win a postseason game in his tenure whereas Ozark's teams routinely butchered away entire series in the playoffs.  He's a horrible tactical manager like Ozark.  He's a "players" manager like Ozark was.  His teams underachieved like Ozark's.

On and on it goes...

Ok, and how exactly is that "stark contrast" in ownership groups? As icee stated?

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

ice grillin you

Ownership reluctantly replaced Ozark with Dallas Green

thats the whole point...they made a difficult concious decision to make a change that in the end would be better for the team....something that the current leadership is incapable of doing

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Wingspan

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 10, 2007, 10:40:14 AM
Ownership reluctantly replaced Ozark with Dallas Green

thats the whole point...they made a difficult concious decision to make a change that in the end would be better for the team....something that the current leadership is incapable of doing

Yeah...6.5 seasons after they hired the guy.

Stark contrast indeed.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

ice grillin you

ozark was coming off three straight division titles had won playoff games and had multiple 100+ win teams and they still canned him...manuel has only made the playoffs once in a fluke year has never won even 90 games and got swept by a wild card team and they kept him...that to me is a stark contrast

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Wingspan

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 10, 2007, 10:50:52 AM
ozark was coming off three straight division titles had won playoff games and had multiple 100+ win teams and they still canned him...manuel has only made the playoffs once in a fluke year has never won even 90 games and got swept by a wild card team and they kept him...that to me is a stark contrast

He was canned in the middle of the season when it was pretty clear they weren't winning the division. This after getting Pete Rose in the 78/79 offseason.

He was not canned the year after his first playoff appearance and then subsequent 3-0 sweep in the playoffs. (Which was the case for both managers)
Connection Problems

ice grillin you

well if manuel is fired during next season then you can say its not a stark contrast and id agree...right now it mos def is

Wingspan

Connection Problems

ice grillin you

actually thinking about it even more....because charlie hasnt been even close to successful as ozark was...even if they did fire him next year it would be case of should have done that six months ago when people like larussa and torre were around vs being any kind of similarity to what happened to ozark

Rome

The fact that Tony LaRussa or Joe Torre might be available and the Phillies automatically jumped the gun and signed a queef like Charlie Manuel tells you all you need to know about this ownership and management group.

Seabiscuit36

Charlie did a great job motivating a team that was injured all year.  He sucks at managing a game but does seem to do well as a motivator.  What they need is a bench coach who can make all of the decisions that this team needs in a game, honestly Charlie would be best at being a bench coach but thats not going to happen
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

SunMo

charlie maxes out his potential as a hitter instructor, not even a bench coach
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Rome

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on October 10, 2007, 11:53:41 AM
Charlie did a great job motivating a team that was injured all year.  He sucks at managing a game but does seem to do well as a motivator.  What they need is a bench coach who can make all of the decisions that this team needs in a game, honestly Charlie would be best at being a bench coach but thats not going to happen

If the Phillies wanted a motivator they should have hired Tony Robbins.  What they need is a baseball manager and Cholly's about as qualified in that capacity as Rosie O'Donnell is as a swimsuit model.

ice grillin you

*broken record alert*

there are managers out there that can properly manage AND motivate a baseball team

*broken record alert*

PhillyPhanInDC

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.