07/08 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, October 07, 2007, 01:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingspan

Manuel really shouldnt have instructed Howard and Utley to strike out so much, that was a mistake in hindsight.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

SunMo

of course the players love him...he runs a daycare, nobody is accountable for their mistakes.

Tony LaRussa pulls kids after swinging at 3-0 pitches, and wins World Series, Cholly pats them on the back, and gets knocked out in the first round
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Wingspan

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 10, 2007, 08:55:52 AM
Quote from: SunMo on October 10, 2007, 08:52:43 AM
Quote from: MDS on October 09, 2007, 10:43:09 PM
i dont think manuel is a good manager. really no one does. rather, the guys on the team really like him and play hard for him. its a good group of guys and it works

except in the playoffs, when you need someone to manage a game

or in close games...hes a super manager when the offense puts up 14 runs...however in one run games he was 14-23

That stat is irrelevant in that...the Phils played in less 1 run games than anyone else in the NL.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Rome

Paul Owens had a decision to make in the late 1970's. 

Does he keep the status quo and retain Danny Ozark as manager or does he bring in someone to put foot to ass and get a remarkably talented but underachieving bunch to finally win a World Series?

The Pope chose to put foot to ass and the rest was history.

This team decides to stick with Danny Ozark II despite the fact that a host of more qualified managerial prospects will be there for the taking.

Yay team.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Charlie Manuel is one of the least of the team's problems.  They won't win a World Series with him, but it has more to do with the dearth of decent pitching than the manager.

Still, I wish they'd gone and made a change, but I knew they wouldn't.

ice grillin you

Quote from: SunMo on October 10, 2007, 09:06:30 AM
of course the players love him...he runs a daycare, nobody is accountable for their mistakes.

Tony LaRussa pulls kids after swinging at 3-0 pitches, and wins World Series, Cholly pats them on the back, and gets knocked out in the first round

and he knocked his own team out in game two

and yes the players are not accountable...its why they are one of the dumber teams around.....with a real manager they still would score in bunches but they wouldnt do things like swing at first pitches after four ball walks and try to steal bases down by four

you gotta improve the pitching on this team yes...but that means closer games which means more strategizing and manuevering....something charlie is incapable of doing

so maybe charlie is the perfect manager for a team full of babies who just wanna win 15-5 games and do whatever they want when they want...but if you wanna play the game the right way and win close games and win playoff games then charlie is a pathetic excuse as a manager

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on October 10, 2007, 09:15:39 AM

Does he keep the status quo and retain Danny Ozark as manager or does he bring in someone to put foot to ass and get a remarkably talented but underachieving bunch to finally win a World Series?

This team decides to stick with Danny Ozark II despite the fact that a host of more qualified managerial prospects will be there for the taking.

Yay team.

excellent post romey....shows the stark contrast btwn that ownership group and this one
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

The Phillies retention of Uncle Cholly proves unequivocally that this ownership group doesn't care one bit about doing whatever it takes to win it all.

They got three million-plus suckers (me included) to buy tickets and fill their house to the rafters and as long as we're dumb enough to keep accepting mediocrity, they'll be more than happy to accommodate us.

I hope they all burn in farging hell.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on October 10, 2007, 09:24:15 AM
The Phillies retention of Uncle Cholly proves unequivocally that this ownership group doesn't care one bit about doing whatever it takes to win it all.

The fact you didn't know that already means that you're a dumbass anyway.

SunMo

i'm not buying tickets next year...go me!
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Wingspan

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 10, 2007, 09:18:55 AM
Quote from: Jerome99RIP on October 10, 2007, 09:15:39 AM

Yay team.

excellent post romey....shows the stark contrast btwn that ownership group and this one

lolololol

No, it doesn't, in fact it shows that this ownership group is pretty much the same as that. The phils won the division 3 straight years in 1976, 77 and 78 before dumping Ozark in the middle of 79 (they missed the playoffs that year).
Connection Problems

ice grillin you

does it pain you to be so completely offbase all the time?
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Wingspan

Ha. JeromeRIP99 thinks he's Gordon Lightfoot, while your point of agreement is the exact opposite of what happened...and I am off base?

Whatever makes you feel good, dookie.
Connection Problems

Rome

The Phillies had winning records for five consecutive (1975-1979) before making a managerial change that resulted in a World Series title.  That ownership group made a decisive change while this ownership group stuck with the status quo.

But sure, they're both exactly the same.

:-D

Wingspan

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on October 10, 2007, 10:14:22 AM
The Phillies had winning records for five consecutive (1975-1979) before making a managerial change that resulted in a World Series title.  That ownership group made a decisive change while this ownership group stuck with the status quo.

But sure, they're both exactly the same.

:-D

It's fairly obvious that you are saying this looking at the records alone.

No one gives a shtein about being 84-80 (for example) if there isnt a playoff appearance. Bowa was + .500 3 out of 4 years. It's completely irrelevant.

Ozark was hired before 73...and made 3 straight years of improvement before winning the division in 1976, then they got swept by the reds. Then he won the division in 77 and 78, losing to the dodgers 1-3 twice in the NLCS.

Ownership reluctantly replaced Ozark with Dallas Green (at the insitance of Dallas Green actually) in the middle of 1979, when the Phils were below .500 in august of that year, overall they wound up missing the playoffs and losing the division to the pirates. It wasn't until the next season when that worked out for them.

Connection Problems

Rome

Quote from: Wingspan on October 10, 2007, 10:24:51 AM

It's fairly obvious that you are saying this looking at the records alone.

How else should I look at it? 

Cholly's been the manager for three years and had winning records just like Ozark.  They've yet to win a postseason game in his tenure whereas Ozark's teams routinely butchered away entire series in the playoffs.  He's a horrible tactical manager like Ozark.  He's a "players" manager like Ozark was.  His teams underachieved like Ozark's.

On and on it goes...

But the bottom line is there are going to be better managerial candidates available and despite that the Phillies settled for Manuel.  In other words, they settled for the status quo.  Again.

Yay team.