The Sports Media Thread

Started by ice grillin you, October 21, 2009, 09:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

mlb network serves zero purpose...no exclusivity and content you can get anywhere else
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

MDS

the RSNs in denver, seattle, pittsburgh and j's houston are going bye bye....what this means for the local games there is going to be interesting. some combination of selling the games to local broadcast stations and lifting the blackouts so fans can get them via packages seem to be the most likely method.

the bally rsn's are hanging by a thread and might not last much longer. comcast ones safe for now. i think we're much closer to you being able to watch every (non national) game in one place than people realize
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Diomedes

I've been reading PFT since it was born. 

And ever since Peter King's regular monday feature "Football Morning In America" was established, Florio has been abbreviating it FMIA.

Am I the only person who ALWAYS reads "farg Me In (the) Ass" when he sees those initials?

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

MDS

first domino to drop from the rsn fallout

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/36310895/suns-mercury-broadcasts-over-air-tv-streaming

we shall see how long this lasts for, but this type of strategy has been my thinking for a while. the nfl is the most accessible sport in the country, its a different game distribution model, but the point is you need to pay $0 to watch ~90% of key nfl games. decades and decades of this has helped build what its built. maybe the other leagues follow.

Diomedes

Boxing could take a lesson from Phoenix
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

MDS

boxing has treated its audience like a battered woman...all thats left is the people who keep coming back to him

its too late to save them. the thing about the nba/nhl/mlb is that ratings remain strong considering the collapse of the cable industry. the people who consume sports still have cable, by and large. as it turns out, that doesnt matter - they need the fees they collect from all cable users to survive and there arent enough of them left.

PhillyPhreak54

Good.

Put teams back on local free tv

ice grillin you

the irony is boxing is probably in the best shape of any sport right now cept maybe the nba.  shtein even baseball and hockey are having a comeback of sorts
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

the irony is that is not even remotely true

ice grillin you

you probably cant name three boxers but the sport has never been deeper in elite talent

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 30, 2023, 12:39:48 PM
you probably cant name three boxers but the sport has never been deeper in elite talent

Feel like boxing has been supplanted by mma. If a novice boxing fan can't name 3 boxers what does that tell you about the state of the sport?

ice grillin you

tells you more about the meatheadedness of americans...im not claiming boxing is popular im just saying the sport itself has never been more talent ladened and ive been watching it since i was ten

Diomedes

yep

Nascar is far more popular in America than F1

similar gig.  the more complicated, nuanced, disciplined sport just doesn't sell as well to Muricans, and especially not if they gotta pay cash money to see it

boxing shot itself in the face when it went to pay per view as the main option for fans