The Sports Media Thread

Started by ice grillin you, October 21, 2009, 09:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD

Quote from: MDS on May 09, 2022, 11:04:13 AM
a rando ex phillie is? not saying youre getting bad intel but i think rhea/al are sticking and the new host will be an actual broadcaster, not a former ballplayer.

Wrong station. Right position definitely not a random. I already said too much

MDS

ryan howard, maybe cole hamels, either joining miss or partnering with someone to replace him

something like that
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Fox is going to pay Brady 10yrs $375m to be their next lead analyst when he retires.

QB Eagles

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on May 10, 2022, 04:57:38 PM
Fox is going to pay Brady 10yrs $375m to be their next lead analyst when he retires.

He will be good at it, of course. He's Tom Brady.

You know who's not good at it? Drew Brees. Apparently NBC has now figured that out, long after everyone else.

Diomedes

Yeah and now he's saying maybe he plays again, maybe he focuses on pickleball.  Whatever that is.

It would be okay with me if he just went away.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

MDS

hes being facetious there

what ha happened was brees signed on with nbc thinking it was gonna be him and tirico doing SNF. after nbc got a look at his tape, they decided to give collinsworth a contract extension. brees doesnt want to be in studio, he wants to be tony romo. hes not tony romo. so its basically a cover for a mutual parting of the ways here.

with that said, fox does have some interest for brees to be their #2 guy. the issue with it, is for someone with brees' stature, doing primarily regionalized games each weekend with no shot to ever jump up to #1 (brady) is likely not super appealing. 
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Diomedes

Romo is a special case

Why these guys think they can just step into a booth and be good?  The guy I know in the biz has been doing this shtein since college...decades of practice...
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

MDS

its not the guys its the networks. brees cant hire himself. the league is also involved here.

they like big names, specifically qbs, on the broadcasts. they market and push qbs as stars so its natural to have a star qb in the booth. think allen/mahomes with romo on the call. this is what they want. they pushed fox to hire brady. it factors into the game quality networks get. espn's game quality went up this year with the buck/aikman hires.

pretty dumb business but what i do know theyre all rich and i own a 2 bedroom point breeze rowhome

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

Quote from: TAFKASD on May 08, 2022, 11:58:52 PM
Quote from: TAFKASD on October 10, 2021, 07:49:49 PM
Something big potentially (I'd say more likely than not) happening with Philly sports radio come December. You'll definitely know it when it happens.

Next month set in stone.

New guy: Phillies...some of you might care not sure

Here...it...comes

PhillyPhreak54

Seeing it now

Mikey Miss is out

Munson

Bummer. I pretty much only listen when driving around after work or etc, and much prefer him to the 94.1 guys. I assume I'll still prefer the 975 guys if Tyrone is taking over. Need to pair him with someone good though because Tyrone is definitely better in smaller doses.

Relatedly, when I've left school to go get lunch, I've put on the midday show and dare I say I really like the Cuz/Salchunis combo. They have a ton of fun it sounds like to me.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

SD

Mikes a good dude. Love him or hate him he's been a huge fixture in Philly sports since the 90's. More than anything I enjoyed listening to whiny right wingers cry when he talks politics (he's a mega-liberal). He didn't sugar coat it on his way out so I don't need to: his contract was up in December, him/his agent and the station were no where close on a new deal. He asked the station for 6 more months so he could go out on his own terms. More news to come.

Munson

Yeah he seemed like a legit dude who obviously had a temper that got him a reputation. But yeah hearing right wingers get uncomfortable when he'd be on the lefty side of social Justice issues was always fun.

Gonna kind of suck not having him on the radio in the afternoons on my way home from work.

I guess they'll let Tyrone run it for now until they make an official announcement?
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Geowhizzer

Any truth to this?

https://twitter.com/CrossingBroad/status/1531787216804003840

I tried listening to Hunter Brody once on a weekend.  Most annoying voice in radio.  Pass.