The Sports Media Thread

Started by ice grillin you, October 21, 2009, 09:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QB Eagles

I hope Stark has a job covering the Phils before the end of the week.

I thought they would focus on the high-cost low-knowledge employees, the guys who pop up on the air once a week and make six figures, but nope. Not a ton of people I love, but these are a lot of workhorses. The amount of coverage will be noticably lower after today.

hunt

i just hope they still have enough loud, know-nothing blowhards to sit around a table and fake argue about stuff.  i can't get enough of that.
lemonade was a popular drink and it still is

smeags

Quote from: hunt on April 26, 2017, 03:12:26 PM
i just hope they still have enough loud, know-nothing blowhards to sit around a table and fake argue about stuff.  i can't get enough of that.

stop making fun of this you jerks ! lil guy is going to bleed through his pad if you don't knock it off.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

PhillyPhreak54

lil guy done crying about this yet?

PhillyPhreak54

MDS

well i hope you all never experience layoffs...but i guess its all game to you so whatever

but good thing espn still keeps stephen a employed so we can have a loud no nothing buffoon scream sports opinions
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

smeags

of course, you always have to point out the black guy.

ice grillin you

Quote from: MDS on April 26, 2017, 03:29:52 PM
well i hope you all never experience layoffs...but i guess its all game to you so whatever

whole reason i ended up in the government is because i got laid off and wanted to find a job with the best possible job security

guess what you do when you get laid off....you go and get another job
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: MDS on April 26, 2017, 03:29:52 PM

but good thing espn still keeps stephen a employed so we can have a loud no nothing buffoon scream sports opinions

I don't think anyone is really celebrating....so keep pushing your narrative, Rush Jr!

Dilfer sucked.

In other ex-Philly news Ashley Fox got got

BTW - this was inevitable. ESPN got fat and happy with all these reporters. I would have done the same as they did - jump to get that ESPN money since local newspapers were dying. But no one should be shocked overall. Several people being let go have shocked me (Stark, Werder, McMurphy) but its corporate America. Older high salaried people are going to be replaced by young cheap people. Or not replaced at all and the leftover people have to pick up the slack for no extra money.

QB Eagles

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on April 26, 2017, 03:45:14 PMBTW - this was inevitable. ESPN got fat and happy with all these reporters. I would have done the same as they did - jump to get that ESPN money since local newspapers were dying. But no one should be shocked overall. Several people being let go have shocked me (Stark, Werder, McMurphy) but its corporate America. Older high salaried people are going to be replaced by young cheap people. Or not replaced at all and the leftover people have to pick up the slack for no extra money.

That's the case a lot of places but these don't seem like the high salaried people to me. The big cost to ESPN is NFL and NBA programming so they want to push those two cash cow leagues hard right now, try to maximize the return on those insanely huge investments. Also the clear shift from coverage and analysis to entertainment and arguing that everyone can see.

Seems somewhat inevitable that by the end of the 2020s ESPN will have as much to do with sports as MTV has to do with music. Just a shift in what and how people are consuming.

MDS

you are straight celebrating dilfer getting axed...like his analysis or dont hes not sean hannity or bob knight hes not a bad person.

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 26, 2017, 03:43:13 PM

whole reason i ended up in the government is because i got laid off and wanted to find a job with the best possible job security

yea look at me...im a stooge in corporate america. granted i left on my own but the news industry being what it is, i wasnt too far away from the cutting line no matter where i ended up.

i know most of those people will be fine but unless its fox news or people doing corrosively bad work ill never have a dismissive attitude toward people losing their jobs.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Rome

100 decent hardworking people lost their jobs today.  I'm not sure why anyone would celebrate that, and I hate it when I agree with Todd, but he's dead on in this case. 

MDS

Quote from: QB Eagles on April 26, 2017, 03:55:36 PM
The big cost to ESPN is NFL and NBA programming so they want to push those two cash cow leagues hard right now, try to maximize the return on those insanely huge investments. Also the clear shift from coverage and analysis to entertainment and arguing that everyone can see.

not so much maximize the return but be able to afford it. the nba deal doubled. the nfl deal is a billion a year and up for renewal in a few years. college football contracts are insane. mlb is needed summer filler. all of those things add up.

now add in the fact that they are losing hundreds of thousands of subscribers PER MONTH. and that, like all evil heartless corporations, they still expect to turn the same kind of profit. so what has to happen? people gotta go. and espn decided that the people who need to go are journalists and reporters. the people that stay are talentless carnival barkers that scream about sports.

Quote from: QB Eagles on April 26, 2017, 03:55:36 PM
Seems somewhat inevitable that by the end of the 2020s ESPN will have as much to do with sports as MTV has to do with music. Just a shift in what and how people are consuming.

espn will survive, in some form, so long as the sports leagues take their money for game rights. it might go away as a cable station but live on as an app. the question will be if the NFL or NBA takes it product elsewhere -- either keep its for itself, or gives games to google/youtube/amazon, etc.

its impossible to say how fast and efficient cable's death will be, but its coming.

smeags

who is celebrating ?

saying someone sucked isn't celebrating, saying you wont lose sleep over this, isn't celebrating.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: MDS on April 26, 2017, 03:56:02 PM
you are straight celebrating dilfer getting axed...like his analysis or dont hes not sean hannity or bob knight hes not a bad person.

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 26, 2017, 03:43:13 PM

yea look at me...im a stooge in corporate america. granted i left on my own but the news industry being what it is, i wasnt too far away from the cutting line no matter where i ended up.

i know most of those people will be fine but unless its fox news or people doing corrosively bad work ill never have a dismissive attitude toward people losing their jobs.

Dilfer sucked. If that's celebrating so be it. One out of 100...I'm an awful person