The Weather Thread

Started by ice grillin you, January 17, 2009, 12:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_Failure

Twitter says it's heading towards Cat 5.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Geowhizzer

Batten down the hatches, Phreak, and get out of Dodge if you need to.

PhillyPhreak54

All good here, fellas. So far.

Its begun the predicted northerly turn so it's going to smack between Beaumont and Lake Charles Louisiana.

My girlfriend lived in Beaumont for awhile so her friends there are farged. Her best friend finally decided to evacuate and is staying with us.

On the west side of Houston we're expecting to se 40-60mph winds and 2-3" of rain. But it is crazy to think that only 50-90 miles away they're taking it full on. So if that SOB wobbles at all or does somehow meander its way west we're farged.

Mainly because now the forecasters say it won't have an impact here. So if this thing gets a mind of its own like Harvey then we're also farged.

Watching this one closely since its inception. Houston hasn't taken a Cat 4/5 high wind hurricane head on since the 60s. The ones that have hit here have been mild and mainly rain events. Ike back in 2008 was moderate wind and Harvey in 2017 was floods.

If this thing didn't make that northerly turn we'd have packed up and rolled out. I have no interest in riding one out and being left with no power. I know that when I build my house in the next 2 years I am getting a generator installed.

MDS

build a house in not houston pleaaaaaassseeee

stay safe
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Thanks man. All is still well. The wind is picking up a bit but with the storm wobbling N/NE we probably won't see much. What we do get will be a bit after midnight.

I just saw that another system has come off the coast of Africa and it is one they're worried about following the track of Laura.

Climate change deniers aren't having a good time with these storms.

Rome

The damage is incredible.  These storms are just horrendous.  I lived here for 15 years without even thinking of hurricanes.  Now it's 5 months of nagging worries about one of these beasts tearing our lives apart. 

Glad you're ok, Jay.  Looks like Houston dodged a bullet.   

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Rome on August 27, 2020, 09:36:49 AM
The damage is incredible.  These storms are just horrendous.  I lived here for 15 years without even thinking of hurricanes.  Now it's 5 months of nagging worries about one of these beasts tearing our lives apart. 

Glad you're ok, Jay.  Looks like Houston dodged a bullet.

Thanks dude. Yeah Lake Charles took it hard and deep.

I fully expect that one Cat4/5 is eventually going to hit us.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Surely just a coincidence and has nothing to do with global warming.

Harvey was a motherfarger. I will never forget that.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Geowhizzer

Climate change is a hoax, alright...

Rome

Sally is horrendous because of the deluge that's coming.  If only someone could figure out a way to harness that moisture and dump it on the west. 

QB Eagles

Quote from: Rome on September 15, 2020, 12:46:49 PM
Sally is horrendous because of the deluge that's coming.  If only someone could figure out a way to harness that moisture and dump it on the west. 

Please no. That would cause massive landslides in all the burned areas. We need steady light rain and cool temps out here.

Diomedes

Yeah, that's not happening.  Y'all are doomed because those days aren't returning for, best case scenario, a couple hundred years.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhreak54

Well Dr Cheeto Dick said science is wrong. Just nuke them.