The "what the farg is wrong with this world" thread

Started by PhillyGirl, March 07, 2010, 12:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunMo

it's obviously murder, manslaughter is accidental, murder is on purpose.  this was on purpose.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Geowhizzer

My guess is that he will get charged with 2nd degree and be possibly be offered a manslaughter plea bargain... unless there is political points to be made for a DA to take a hard line.  Then they may go for murder-1.

Rome

They won't go for Murder 1, Geo. 

Florida Statute 782.04: Murder 1...

QuoteWhen perpetrated from a premeditated design to effect the death of the person killed or any human being;

Doesn't really apply here.

Murder 2, on the other hand...

QuoteThe unlawful killing of a human being, when perpetrated by any act imminently dangerous to another and evincing a depraved mind regardless of human life, although without any premeditated design to effect the death of any particular individual, is murder in the second degree

Geowhizzer

Don't think that they could legitimately get a conviction for murder-1.  Some DA with a bug up his ass for higher office, though, could try just for the political points.

There's enough gray area that a DA could at least go through the motions of a murder-1, before settling for something less and complaining how the system is rigged.

To me, murder-2 is definitely more of a fit.

Diomedes

I'm having a hard time seeing him convicted of anything in Florida.

F'n elections matter, people.  Pay attention to the laws these people are making.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhreak54

Street justice needs to be served then.

Someone needs to gut that scumbag with a buck knife.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Diomedes on March 21, 2012, 08:33:41 PM

F'n elections matter, people.  Pay attention to the laws these people are making.

I think that political pressure on the situation will eventually end up in a charge.  You could be absolutely right though - and that's a scary thing.

Diomedes

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on March 21, 2012, 08:34:30 PM
Street justice needs to be served then.

Someone needs to gut that scumbag with a buck knife.

Go get him, Batman.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

Quote from: Diomedes on March 21, 2012, 08:33:41 PM

normally id agree....but the public outcry here i think will make sure that doesnt happen...even the republican who sponsered and wrote the law has come out and said that his law does not protect people like george zimmerman who stalk and confront

the irony in this case is that is that the law was intended to be used by trayvon martin...unfortunately its hard to "stand your ground" behind a pack of skittles
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Zanshin

I haven't chimed in yet, because it's so miserable of a story. But what happened is clearly wrong on many levels, and I doubt that he'll be able to walk even if only because of the spotlight that's shining so brightly on this thing. And if he does walk, it'll be a travesty.

Rome

Imagine if the roles were reversed and this was a black guy in a black neighborhood who shot a white kid on his way home from 7-11.

General_Failure

We wouldn't hear the end of people asking why he was in that neighborhood, and also the shooter would have been in jail that night.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Hawk

Quote from: Rome on March 22, 2012, 05:59:27 PM
Imagine if the roles were reversed and this was a black guy in a black neighborhood who shot a white kid on his way home from 7-11.

This wouldn't be a news story.  And if we are reversing the roles, shouldn't it be a Hispanic being gunned down by a black kid.   

You're all getting butt hurt over nothing.   Even the politicans who created the law said the guy isn't protected.