The "what the farg is wrong with this world" thread

Started by PhillyGirl, March 07, 2010, 12:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Tomahawk on November 15, 2010, 01:55:36 PM
Quote from: rjs246 on November 15, 2010, 01:54:20 PM
At the end of the day.

At the end of the day

I said that the other day and was lucky that I hadn't killed myself for it by the end of the day.

smeags

Quote from: Sgt PSN on November 15, 2010, 01:46:08 PM
So basic human rights in other words, right?

especially cable t.v. - afterall convicts gots to see da wire.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Tomahawk

Diomedes

yeah yeah I hear the bitching about inmates getting tv and all that....here's my question:

for the wages they make and the risks they take, do you think it's fair to ask prison guards to watch inmates who aren't allowed television and salad dressing?  it may seem awful soft on the criminals, but I see stuff like that as a tool for managing and controlling them, for making the job of prison guard better than a suicide mission

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

Even with some of the "luxuries" that inmates receive....tv, internet access, etc, etc, guards are still targeted by inmates.  But you're probably right about making inmates a little more managable and less irritable.  Prison shouldn't be fun, but inmates should still be treated with at least a basic amount of decency and be given a minimal amount of comfort items to get them through the day. 

As for the wages a guard makes, most of them do get paid fairly well.  The ones who don't are the guards who work at the contracted prisons.  They work for the company that got the gov't contract to build and operate the prison.  This is a foul practice imo.  You're basically trusting the security of a prison with a bunch of people who make slightly more than minimum wage.  Not smart. 

PhillyPhreak54

I will delve into it more later, but I did that shtein for 4 years and in TX we didn't and they still don't get paid shtein. We were 46th out of 50 as far as pay goes. Cali cakes their guards off as with OT some are making over 6 figures.

TVs and commissary are helpful tools of behavior control. Not perfect but when that is all some of those guys have to hold onto - you use it.

Sgt PSN

As much as TX loves their prisons, you'd think they would pay their guards a little better.  I'm actually really surprised by that.  I've got a buddy who worked one of the prisons in northern Jersey and he got paid pretty well.  Wasn't 6 figures nice, but it wasn't chump change either......somewhere in the 70-75k/yr range. 

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

smeags

so in closing .... cable is a necessary tool for controlling prisioners and we're going with the plastic broomstick for the guy in CT  ???

PoopyfaceMcGee

Basically, yes.  Just don't forget to hit up the "buy a truck, get an AK47" special at your local dealer.

smeags

hahahahaha - i actually saw earlier & forgot to post it.

btw - i can supply to broomstick since i now use the swiffer.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Sgt PSN

Quote from: FastFreddie on November 15, 2010, 03:29:35 PM
Basically, yes.  Just don't forget to hit up the "buy a truck, get an AK47" special at your local dealer.

Saw that yesterday and was going to post it.  That shtein's pretty hilarious. 

smeags

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Sgt PSN on November 15, 2010, 03:20:38 PM
As much as TX loves their prisons, you'd think they would pay their guards a little better.  I'm actually really surprised by that.  I've got a buddy who worked one of the prisons in northern Jersey and he got paid pretty well.  Wasn't 6 figures nice, but it wasn't chump change either......somewhere in the 70-75k/yr range. 

The turnover here is dangerously high. They cannot retain guards for shtein. The benefits were good but the pay was zesty. And they only paid us once a goddamn month. So my paycheck for the first couple months was like $1200 bring home. Awful. However after a couple years as an early 20s guy I was ok because I did not have a family to support.

But I would regularly see older cats leaving the 8 inside and going to second jobs just to pay the bills. I decided that I would not stay in that career for very long once I realized the money wouldn't follow.

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/vacancy/coinfo/cosalary.html

After a year the gross is a shade over $31k.

You max out after 91 months and then only gross a tad bit over $37k.

OT is not factored in, but those cheap iceholes wouldnt even pay us in OT when I was there. It was rare to actually get money for it, most of the time it was in time off. Time off that we could never take because it was so short of staff.

Even a Major is only gross a little over $45 thou. No thanks.