The "what the farg is wrong with this world" thread

Started by PhillyGirl, March 07, 2010, 12:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

General_Failure

Quote from: Sgt PSN on May 06, 2010, 01:56:13 PM
If it were a given that uniforms would make kids better students, then I'd be more willing to entertain the argument.  I went to private school, we wore uniforms and we still had kids who were bad students.  Over crowded classrooms and under paid teachers are by far, the 2 biggest problems in most public schools, not what the kids are or aren't wearing. 

I didn't say it was the biggest problem, but certainly the one that can be most quickly addressed.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Sgt PSN

Thing is.....I don't even see it as a problem.  I don't see uniforms in public schools making any notable improvement to the system or improving the "student experience."  All you're really doing is turning everyone into look-a-likes.....which in an over crowded school would probably be even worse than it is now. 

"Do you know the kid who jumped you in the bathroom?"

"No."

"What did he look like?"

"He was tall and had short hair."

"What was he wearing?"

"He had on black pants, a white shirt and a black tie."

"Can you be more specific?  Everyone in this school wears that."

General_Failure

"Why did the fight start?"

"I made fun of him for not knowing how to tie his tie."

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Sgt PSN on May 06, 2010, 03:50:39 PM
Thing is.....I don't even see it as a problem.  I don't see uniforms in public schools making any notable improvement to the system or improving the "student experience."  All you're really doing is turning everyone into look-a-likes.....which in an over crowded school would probably be even worse than it is now. 

"Do you know the kid who jumped you in the bathroom?"

"No."

"What did he look like?"

"He was tall and had short hair."

"What was he wearing?"

"He had on black pants, a white shirt and a black tie."

"Can you be more specific?  Everyone in this school wears that."

I can't supply the data (and there is data somewhere to support this), but from my personal experience at my school, our suspension rates and number of fights has gone done significantly, and our test scores up, since adopting a standardized dress code (not quite a uniform, but close) about 10 years ago.

Diomedes

The Marine can't see the value in requiring students to wear uniforms?  Wha??

I've got five teachers in my family, every one of them thinks uniforms are a good idea.

I think telling kids to stfu is a good idea. 
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Diomedes on May 07, 2010, 04:39:51 PM
The Marine can't see the value in requiring students to wear uniforms?  Wha??

LOL. I was wondering when someone would bring that up. I chose to do a job that requires a uniform.  Totally different than public schools requiring them.

I've got five teachers in my family, every one of them thinks uniforms are a good idea.

I'm sure there are plenty of teachers out there who like the idea. My sis is a teacher and hates the thought equally as much as I do. Maybe more. 

I think telling kids to stfu is a good idea. 

Agreed.

General_Failure

Quote from: Sgt PSN on May 07, 2010, 04:50:24 PM

I'm sure there are plenty of teachers out there who like the idea. My sis is a teacher and hates the thought equally as much as I do. Maybe more. 

You and your sister were forced to wear matching sailor suits as children, complete with little hats. This is the most logical cause for your dislike of uniforms.

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

General_Failure

PoopyfaceMcGee

Sassy's gay sister lives inside his own mind.

Diomedes

mussa

Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"