Jason Peters - Philadelphia Eagle

Started by mikey418, April 17, 2009, 01:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD_Eagle5

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-7-93/...s-attitude.html

QuotePeters admits contract affected his attitude

April 19, 2009 3:02 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham

Former Buffalo Bills left tackle Jason Peters held his introductory news conference with Philadelphia Eagles reporters and didn't dispel any of the concerns about his attitude or motivations.
Peters

A substantial part of the reason the Bills weren't willing to give in to Peters' contractual demands were concerns he wouldn't play up to the money. That curiosity was shared by at least two AFC general managers I spoke with over the past month.

The Eagles signed him to a six-year contract worth $60 million.

My favorite part of the news conference was when Peters said, "It blew my mind, first and foremost, for them to trade me."

Really? His mind must be blown easily. Peters boycotted every offseason and preseason workout last year. He missed the conditioning program. He skipped voluntary workouts. He didn't show for mandatory minicamp. He didn't report to training camp and missed every preseason game.

And this year's holdout would have been even uglier. The Bills' front office was convinced Peters would have held out until Week 10, the time players must report to earn an accrued season toward certain benefits and bargaining rights.

Peters was asked if his contract situation affected his play last year.

"A little bit," Peters said. "I was thinking about it sometimes. If you get beat on a play and you think about your contract ... It doesn't affect me that much. I thought about it some early in the year, but later on in the year it wasn't a big deal."

Sounds to me that if a defender blew past Peters on a particular play, Peters could shrug it off with the notion "Oh, well. I'm not getting paid enough anyway." You wonder how that attitude affected him every day in practice -- once he showed up, that is.

Although Peters was named to his second straight Pro Bowl, many football observers contended he didn't deserve the honor. Sacks allowed isn't an official stat, but a figure floating around said he surrendered double-digit sacks last year.

"That's the first time I've heard that stat," Peters replied when it was presented to him Sunday. "I don't recall giving up that many. If they charged me with that many, so what? I'm an Eagle now.

"If I give up 11 and a half sacks, I'm only human. I'm going to give you 100 percent on every play."

Peters is only human, but a human who's getting paid $25 million guaranteed not to give up sacks.

Eagles coach Andy Reid didn't sound the least bit worried.

"He has the ability to dominate," Reid said. "[The Bills] left Jason on an island the whole time the last couple of years, and he was able to do that. Their protections are a little different than what we do, but it was nice to see him out there all by himself and have confidence that he can do that."

General_Failure

We should ask each other why he was traded a few more times.

The man. The myth. The legend.

PoopyfaceMcGee

General_Failure

Time to look forward to those 2010 draft picks.

The man. The myth. The legend.

shorebird

Quote from: General_Failure on April 19, 2009, 06:35:08 PM
We should ask each other why he was traded a few more times.

So please, tell me, why did the Bills let one of the best offensive lineman in the NFL go in a trade? I mean, I really, really want to know.

And please qb, a liability pass blocking?? Hardly.

reese125

Quote"If I give up 11 and a half sacks, I'm only human. I'm going to give you 100 percent on every play."

psst Pete...if youre the best lineman in the game and you give up 11.5 sacks...youre not giving 100%

BigEd76

Quote from: General_Failure on April 19, 2009, 06:57:11 PM
Time to look forward to those 2010 draft picks.

no 5th, 6th or 7th next year. Let's be like the taterskins

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on April 19, 2009, 05:22:41 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 19, 2009, 03:52:01 PM
Quote from: reese125 on April 19, 2009, 08:43:42 AM
I cant understand (well..actually I can) why someone cant understand how an nfl team lets a pro-bowler or "one of the best OL in the league" walk

I mean because it never happens....never

how many times in the history of the nfl has the best LT in the league been traded in his twenties

And how many times has a guy like Cutler been dealt?

not sure but drew brees got moved just a couple years ago

peters on wip in a few minutes
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Diomedes

Wait a minute...Peters isn't white?  Look test FAIL
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

Quote from: Diomedes on April 20, 2009, 08:51:01 AM
Wait a minute...Peters isn't white?  Look test FAIL

looks white to me

reese125

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 20, 2009, 08:27:36 AM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on April 19, 2009, 05:22:41 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 19, 2009, 03:52:01 PM
Quote from: reese125 on April 19, 2009, 08:43:42 AM
I cant understand (well..actually I can) why someone cant understand how an nfl team lets a pro-bowler or "one of the best OL in the league" walk

I mean because it never happens....never

how many times in the history of the nfl has the best LT in the league been traded in his twenties

And how many times has a guy like Cutler been dealt?

peters on wip in a few minutes

Steve Hutchinson in the same scenerio

ice grillin you

hutch is a guard not a left tackle and was a free agent not traded

plus they "let" hutch go because they didnt want to let a great left tackle go in walter jones

so really not the same thing at all

Diomedes

Plus, Hutch is white.  Totally different.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

reese125

QuoteAnd how many times has a guy like Cutler been dealt?

Brees was not dealt, he was a free agent

PoopyfaceMcGee