Jason Peters - Philadelphia Eagle

Started by mikey418, April 17, 2009, 01:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shorebird

Another reason for igy to get his panties twisted.

Quote"Jason Peters is the best left tackle in football," coach Andy Reid said. "He is a powerful and athletic tackle and I have admired his play over the last few years on film. I have always believed that success in the National Football League is derived from the strong play of the offensive and defensive lines. This offseason we have added two young, top-flight offensive linemen in Jason and Stacy Andrews."

ice grillin you

please anyone quote me where i said anything negative about this move

this is the problem with flaming homers...they are so out of their mind that anyone that isnt on board with them is hating...again show me a single instance of me hating this move
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

QB Eagles

Quote from: shorebird on April 18, 2009, 08:49:04 PMMan, what are you talking about? For the last two years he's been an all out beast. He's made the pro-bowl as a starter both years.

He deserved making the Pro Bowl last year about as much as Favre did. Probably less, because at least Favre had a good first half. Ryan Clady (far better and younger than Peters) got robbed. Michael Roos is another guy in the AFC who is unquestionably better and younger than Peters. Guys that that are why it's laughable to call Peters the best left tackle.

Peters was an elite run blocker in 2006 and 2007, but has only been playing left tackle since the middle of 2007. He is not special in the passing game and is occasionally a liability there. In his two-sack-allowed season of 2006 he was playing on the right side and facing easier competition. Last season he was out of shape all year and flat-out sucked. I certainly expect him to be in better shape this coming season, but it remains to be seen whether he can recapture what made him elite a few years ago. He is an athletic freak but in some ways his skill has not really been fully molded yet.

He should be an upgrade over an elderly Tra Thomas, and that's really all the Birds needed. If Peters plays out of his mind (which he has the potential to do, at least), it's bonus.

ice grillin you

jesus christ people listen to this guy...finally some sensibility

reese125

I cant understand (well..actually I can) why someone cant understand how an nfl team lets a pro-bowler or "one of the best OL in the league" walk

I mean because it never happens....never

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Diomedes on April 18, 2009, 10:47:27 PM
what, another vigy vs. anyone who will argue with him session?  refreshing

almost as much as rjs's miserable attitude

BigEd76

according to Banner, they called Buffalo last year to see if they were interested in trading Peters and they weren't at that time, but this offseason they called Banner back to work something out......

Feva

"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: BigEd76 on April 19, 2009, 12:04:55 PM
according to Banner, they called Buffalo last year to see if they were interested in trading Peters and they weren't at that time, but this offseason they called Banner back to work something out......

So if they get him last year, they would have cut Tra then?

Feva

Apparently, the Giants were going after Peters too?

QuoteGiants in the picture as well?
In ESPN.com's coverage of the trade, it's mentioned as a casual aside that the New York Giants showed interest in Peters as well.  We had also heard word that the Detroit Lions were involved in conversations.  These are the first confirmed reports of other teams being interested beside Philadelphia, and the interest from these teams may have been the driving force behind the Eagles' willingness to move quickly on the trade front.  Philadelphia has also reportedly been targeting Peters since the team's January exit from the playoffs, which may have given them an edge in negotiations.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

QB Eagles

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on April 19, 2009, 12:47:16 PM
Quote from: BigEd76 on April 19, 2009, 12:04:55 PM

So if they get him last year, they would have cut Tra then?

Tra could have been part of the trade.

ice grillin you

Quote from: reese125 on April 19, 2009, 08:43:42 AM
I cant understand (well..actually I can) why someone cant understand how an nfl team lets a pro-bowler or "one of the best OL in the league" walk

how many times in the history of the nfl has the best LT in the league been traded in his twenties

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 19, 2009, 03:52:01 PM

how many times in the history of the nfl has the best LT in the league been traded in his twenties
While i agree, Hoffman and Sal Pal were in shock that the trade even happened since it hasnt happened since the FA period started period, and that Money and lack of respect were the main motivators.
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

methdeez

From what I understand, he didn't want to be in Buffalo anymore.  He actually, according to some sources, took less from the Eagles than Buffalo was offering. Buffalo was just trying to make the best out of the situation. It's not like anyone is saying that he is Orlando Pace, but if a player doesn;t want ot play for your team, what are you supposed to do?

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 19, 2009, 03:52:01 PM

And how many times has a guy like Cutler been dealt?