Jason Peters - Philadelphia Eagle

Started by mikey418, April 17, 2009, 01:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feva

Personally, I couldn't care less about his attitude problem as long as it translates to him gutting the opposing D on the field.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

mikey418

I think without this deal the Birds would have moved up high in the first round (maybe swapping 1sts to get KCs) and drafting one of the LTs....interesting that they had Crabtree in for a visit too.  But with that said...I found this a little entertaining after the Peters signing.

QuoteJason Smith Visits Eagles As They Trade For Peters
Posted by Mike Florio on April 18, 2009, 8:30 a.m. EDT
The Philadelphia Eagles, who might have been able to get in position to draft left tackle Jason Smith if they had been able to package the 21st pick and 28th pick and maybe something more to crash the top five, brought Smith in for a pre-draft visit on Friday.

And as Smith was visiting with the Eagles, he learned that they no longer have a need for a left tackle.

"You hear all the right things and then 10 minutes later they say, 'Oh yeah, we just got Jason Peters.  Sorry," Smith told Adam Schein and Jim Miller of Sirius NFL Radio on Friday.

"By the way, here's your ticket to fly back home," Miller said.

Added Schein: "Thanks for visiting the City of Brotherly Love!"

"And then they dropped me off at the wrong airline," Smith said, laughing. "The great thing is I understand that it's all business."

Looking at the roster, I only see 3 spots that are "needs".  RB, TE, and CB (since the Birds only have Samuel, Brown, Hanson, Ikeqwuono).  I think you'll see them hit those three spots first, then maybe LB/DE(challenge Howard's spot?)/OL(camp bodies) in the later rounds.  RB/TE should be the first 2 picks and think those will be dictated by who's there when they pick.
The wannabe sponsor of Stallworth and Baskett

Rome

Quote from: EagleFeva on April 18, 2009, 09:31:14 AM
Personally, I couldn't care less about his attitude problem as long as it translates to him gutting the opposing D on the field.

This right here.

And lol at the Jason Smith thing.  WTF were they supposed to do - give you hugs and kisses on the way out the g/d door?  Dumbass.

ice grillin you

im so glad peters was a great tackle TWO YEARS AGO

of course i am open to him returning to that form as hes still relatively young...but jesus can we at least watch the guy play (in a passy happy offense nonetheless) before we give the best tackle in the game award to him...after all he gave up a thousand sacks last year
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

General_Failure

I wonder if he'll sign my Jevon Kearse jersey.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Drunkmasterflex

Quote from: Rome on April 18, 2009, 10:30:30 AM
Quote from: EagleFeva on April 18, 2009, 09:31:14 AM

This right here.

And lol at the Jason Smith thing.  WTF were they supposed to do - give you hugs and kisses on the way out the g/d door?  Dumbass.

He said it tongue in cheek, he didn't seem too bothered by it.  I listened to that interview, that kid is impressive. 
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Kenzinger

Great deal. At 1.28 the Eagles never would've been able to get a lineman of Peters caliber. The 4th and 6th are just gravy. This move solidifies the OL and lets the Eagles focus on other areas of need in the draft: RB, TE, DE and possibly LB or CB. As long as they get a RB with one of the first two picks this offseason has been really solid.

ice grillin you

its not a great deal until peters plays great...something he hasnt done for almost three years

you really think the bills would have traded the best tackle in the nfl if he really was even close to the best...they have plenty of money and just signed TO to obviously win now but trade a great left tackle?

lets pump our brakes and see how dook plays before slobbering all over the trade

PoopyfaceMcGee

If it means that they take a top shelf position player at #21, instead of some Eben Britton or something, mission accomplished.

Rome

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 18, 2009, 06:12:36 PM
its not a great deal until peters plays great...something he hasnt done for almost three years

you really think the bills would have traded the best tackle in the nfl if he really was even close to the best...they have plenty of money and just signed TO to obviously win now but trade a great left tackle?

lets pump our brakes and see how dook plays before slobbering all over the trade

The fact that the king of hyperbole is telling everyone to temper our enthusiasm delights me to no end.

ice grillin you

its not hyperbole if theres real reason to get excited

Rome

I think there's a genuine bit of excitement to be had by this deal.  Would I be happier if they had traded for Boldin?  Of course.  But without a good offensive line you have nothing.  I have no problem with this deal at all.  And personally I don't give a damn what ridiculous nonsense Reid has to say in the press about Peters.  I half think he says things like that to get under the skin of people who hate his guts, and to me, that's hilarious.

And I've seen Peters play quite a bit since I'm usually forced to watch the Bills after the Eagles play or on another tv at the bar when the Eagles are on and the guy can flat-out play.  Like Feva said, I don't care what sort of shtein he pulled in Buffalo.  That's ancient history as far as I'm concerned.

BigEd76

press conference tomorrow at 11.  surprisingly the gold standard didn't schedule it today during the Harry memorial

ice grillin you

Quote from: Rome on April 18, 2009, 07:38:02 PM
I think there's a genuine bit of excitement to be had by this deal.  Would I be happier if they had traded for Boldin?  Of course.  But without a good offensive line you have nothing.  I have no problem with this deal at all.  And personally I don't give a damn what ridiculous nonsense Reid has to say in the press about Peters.  I half think he says things like that to get under the skin of people who hate his guts, and to me, that's hilarious.

And I've seen Peters play quite a bit since I'm usually forced to watch the Bills after the Eagles play or on another tv at the bar when the Eagles are on and the guy can flat-out play.  Like Feva said, I don't care what sort of shtein he pulled in Buffalo.  That's ancient history as far as I'm concerned.

he hasnt "flat out played" since 2006...thats why this is not overly exciting...gotta wait and see what he does...i mean the best part of the deal is that they filled a position that was bare...that makes it a good move but not really an exciting one

peters i would classify as a hopeful acquisition not an exciting one

General_Failure

Quote from: BigEd76 on April 18, 2009, 07:41:23 PM
press conference tomorrow at 11.  surprisingly the gold standard didn't schedule it today during the Harry memorial

Even they know that a press conference is no good if nobody attends it.

The man. The myth. The legend.