Jason Peters - Philadelphia Eagle

Started by mikey418, April 17, 2009, 01:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

BigEd76

Magical_Retard

But hey Tra Thomas and Runyan were terrible last year no?

I like the moves so far for Peters and Stacy Andrews, but really these huge needs were self made when they decided that even though Runyan and Tra Thomas played pretty good and were part of the line that gave up the 2nd fewest sacks of any Eagles team in history, they needed to replace them simply cause of age.

Maybe if they only replaced Runyan and re-signed Tra to a 2-3 yr deal.
Marge: I have someone who can help you!
Homer: Is it BATMAN!!??
Marge: No hes a scientist
Homer: Batman is a scientist.
Marge: Its not BATMAN!

BigEd76

Reid

Quote"Jason Peters is the best left tackle in football. He is a powerful and athletic tackle and I have admired his play over the last few years on film."

ESPN reporting it's $60M over the next 6 years (getting rid of the last two on his old deal)

QB Eagles

Quote"Jason Peters is the best left tackle in football.

:-D

ice grillin you

lol that is pretty funny

he gave up the most sacks of any player in the entire nfl
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

QB Eagles

By Reid's logic, Winston Justice is the best backup left tackle in the NFL.

Eagaholic

Reid's not alone, there were any number of people in NFL circles who considered Peters maybe the best LT in football in '07 before his contract dispute.

He is an odd guy but the trajectory of his career is consistent and impressive. He came in as an undrafted junior, a 330 pound TE that posted a 4.85 40 in his proday and showed the ability to make diving catches.

In 2004 with Buffalo he sticks as a special teams standout including as a wedge buster and blocked a punt and recovered it for a TD.

Before the middle of '05 he wins the starting RT job from a first round pick.

In '06 he successfully makes the transition to LT at 340 pounds, giving up only 2 sacks and no holding penalties, but probably a better run than pass blocker.

In '07 he goes to the PB and is a second team AP.

In '08 he lets it all go in the toilet because he is unhappy with his contract. 

In '09.....?

Geowhizzer

So he's a narcissistic nimrod who can't be professional enough to peform his job in less than optimal conditions like many of us have to do?

Fantastic.

Eagaholic

I don't know if he's a narcissistic nimrod but that whole undrafted junior thing is odd and may support that notion. I did see a draft site or two that in 2004 were projecting him as late as March to be a third round pick and one had him as the #4 TE in that draft. I seems like there must have been something off about the guy to come out and then not get drafted. Maybe it was his grades or something from his past that teams knew about, or maybe that he really wasn't seen as a viable TE or OLine prospect.

Diomedes

The Peters signing makes one improvement not mentioned so far: it's gonna be awhile before we hear any more crap about putting Shawn Andrews at tackle.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Eagaholic

Another little aside is that it will be all the more funny seeing TO having a meltdown when his QB is sacked 7 times a game and can't get him the ball and it's 15 below zero.

Feva

Quote from: QB Eagles on April 17, 2009, 10:59:10 PM
Quote"Jason Peters is the best left tackle in football.

:-D

Reid is a farging idiot.  The words "one", "of" and "young" could do wonders.

Quote from: Eagaholic on April 17, 2009, 11:59:06 PM
He is an odd guy but the trajectory of his career is consistent and impressive. He came in as an undrafted junior, a 330 pound TE that posted a 4.85 40 in his proday and showed the ability to make diving catches.

I smell tackle eligible like a muthafarger!!!
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

SD_Eagle5

http://peteprisco.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6315047/14562457

QuoteEagles line is brutish
Posted on: April 17, 2009 2:45 pmScore: 193Sign-up to rate:Sign-up to rate: Sign-up to rate:

Don't mess with the Philadelphia Eagles offensive line.

It is nasty.

By trading for left tackle Jason Peters Friday -- the deal is pending a new contract and Peters passing a physical -- the Eagles might now be able to stake a claim as having the best line in the NFL, complete with brawlers and maulers.

With Peters in at left tackle, the Eagles can keep Todd Herremans at left guard. The right side will be made up of the Andrews brothers, Shawn at guard and Stacy at tackle, and the center is Jamaal Jackson. From tackle-to-tackle, the line will average 331 pounds. That will wear down a defense for four quarters.

Peters didn't play that well last season for the Buffalo Bills after missing training camp in a contract holdout. But he's always been one of the tackles I've liked watch play. He is nasty. When he came out of Arkansas as a tight end, I listed him as one of my annual "Better-than" players that year, players who I liked more than the scouts.

In that column I mentioned that I thought Peters could be a really good tackle. You can look it up.

I like this move by the Eagles, just like I liked the move to sign Stacy Andrews as a free agent from the Bengals. The Eagles line is now big, powerful and physical.

It is also young.

When the season starts, Jackson will be the oldest at 29. Stacy Andrews will be 28, Peters 27, Shawn Andrews and Heremans each 26.

I'll take that group right now over any other in the league for age, nastiness and talent.

Getting Peters is a great move for the Eagles. The price of a three picks. including the No. 28 pick in the first round of next week's draft, and a new contract is steep. But if Peters plays like he did a few years ago, this will be well worth it.

PoopyfaceMcGee

I like how when the Eagles actually sign a guy with an attitude problem or a history of a questionable work ethic, it's the end of the world.  When they avoid a guy because of it, it's just the stupid FO refusing to take a risk to get top talent on the team.