NFL Network - Game of the Week Eagles/Chiefs 9pm EST

Started by 4and26, October 05, 2005, 08:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QB Eagles

Quote from: SD_Eagle on October 05, 2005, 10:05:10 PM
I also loved how Lito and Rod Hood were taunting the Chiefs fans saying "where are you now?".

That was great, but maybe Rod Hood should have been a bit more quiet about it given his performance on Sunday.

Don Ho

Quote from: QB Eagles on October 05, 2005, 10:54:56 PM
Quote from: SD_Eagle on October 05, 2005, 10:05:10 PM
I also loved how Lito and Rod Hood were taunting the Chiefs fans saying "where are you now?".

That was great, but maybe Rod Hood should have been a bit more quiet about it given his performance on Sunday.

Rod Hood is the last guy who should be trash talking. :boom
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

General_Failure

Rod Hood to Chiefsfan: "Fist to face style, how you like it?"

The man. The myth. The legend.

Feva

"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

methdeez

That was awesome.
Hollis Thomas might be my favorite Eagle right now.
He cracks me the hell up.

JTrotter Fan

Hilarious with him and Gras on the bench laughin it up.  Hollis is a great locker room guy.
When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.

Feva

Quote from: methdeez on October 06, 2005, 12:34:00 PM
That was awesome.
Hollis Thomas might be my favorite Eagle right now.
He cracks me the hell up.
Don't know if this was on the GOTW (TiVO'd it, haven't watched it yet) but on Sounds of the Game the showed Trot hyping everyone up in the pregame.

Trot was screamin', "Where else would you rather be?!"

Hollis (off camera) says, "I'd rather be playing baseball."  :-D :-D
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

Feva

Also, you guys have prolly seen the comments Shawn Barber made on the sidelines when they were up 17-0 in the 2nd quarter.  Well, there were some other people who saw it.  :-D

QuoteBARBERY ROAST

By DANA PENNETT O'NEIL
oneild@phillynews.com

SITTING AROUND the training room before practice yesterday, N.D. Kalu, Sheldon Brown and a host of other Eagles were casually watching a replay of this week's "Inside the NFL" on HBO when they saw a miked Shawn Barber parading up and down the Kansas City Chiefs' sideline, exhorting his teammates in Sunday's game.

They laughed as they watched their former teammate - Barber played for the Eagles in 2002 - but stopped laughing when they heard what he was saying about them.

Barber was challenging his team to keep going, to keep pushing through the first half because, he said, the Eagles only practice 90 minutes a day and they were basically too soft to survive the game. They would get tired, he promised, and victory would be a slam dunk.

The lazy training room went wild, guys screaming and hollering while Kalu picked up his cell phone and dialed Barber's number.

"We cursed him out," Kalu said. "We were half-joking, but it bothered us."

In a league where bulletin-board material is usually reduced to which cleats to wear, this was epic and hardly manufactured.

Eagles defensive end Jevon Kearse caught the show at home Wednesday night and was still steaming yesterday afternoon.

"I was offended," he said. "He hasn't been here in [3] years, so he has no idea what we're doing, what we're going through. You know what? If we're out of shape, what does that make them? If I remember correctly, we came back and won that game [37-31, with a 24-7 second half]."

Good thing the Chiefs aren't in the NFC East, because there's more.

"If we're not in shape, it seems to me we played in the Super Bowl last year," Brown said. "We've played in four NFC championships. Maybe more teams ought to be doing what we're doing."

The Daily News attempted to contact Barber yesterday, but he was unavailable.

It wasn't just what he said, but his implication that the Eagles aren't doing the same amount of work as other NFL teams.

The Eagles do practice for only about 90 minutes each day, an idea that flies in the face of the standard sports logic that excellence can only be achieved after merciless hours of repetition and practice.

Yes, Allen, we're talkin' about practice.

"What do you want, to go back to high school where we're doing gassers after practice?" Brown said. "We're grown men."

Athletes long have buttered their bread on the ability to brag about their insane dedication to their craft, the agonizing, solitary hours upon hours when they became something special by working longer and harder than the Average Joe.

The idea that more (not less) is more is what trots high school and college athletes in every sport onto the field in the grueling heat of August for manly double sessions, what pushes tennis players to whack balls across the net until their elbows ache and golfers to hit at the driving range until their backs break.

It's also typically how life goes in the NFL.

Kalu said that in Washington, he could count on 3 hours on the field each day.

Kearse said Tennessee Titans practices ran "much longer... There was a lot of repetition."

And yet here come the Eagles from their practice fields at around 3 p.m. each day, their physical work over faster than most feature-length films.

But the players said that more is not always more.

Sometimes less is more.

"Truthfully, we're like big kids," Brown said. "You know how little kids have no attention spans? Well, ours aren't much better. You leave us out there for hours and hours, you're going to lose us."

More important, just because the Eagles don't practice a long time, that doesn't necessarily mean they don't practice hard, which is exactly why Barber's comments hit such a nerve.

"With coach Reid, it's, 'OK, we're going to do this and this and this today,' " Kearse said. "And that's what we do. He wants us out there working hard, doing the little things, hustling. Practice is crisp. There's none of that standing around. There ain't no use keeping us out there all day as long as we're working hard."

That, of course, is the catch.

Reid certainly has endeared himself to the fellas in the locker room by not just shortening up practice but also by rewarding them with an extra day off (Monday) after wins.

The unsaid threat, though, is that will all disappear should practice turn into recess or victories turn into losses.

"I don't know why Shawn said that," tackle Jon Runyan said. "Maybe he was just mad because he had to practice for 2 hours."

MadMarchHare

I just watched GOTW last night, and found that odd.  At least Ike was respectful when he was making "suggestions" to his new teammates.
Anyone but Reid.

Zanshin

Quote from: EagleFeva on October 07, 2005, 07:05:47 AM
prolly

*shudder*

Good article, though.  Especially for her.

PhillyPhreak54

I was listening to WIP at work yesterday (can't get 950 reception there) and Cataldi was ripping the Eagles like crazy for this. He said that they're a flawed team and because Fraley was calling for oxygen and Hollis was sweating like crazy they are a team that is not is shape and he says they will lose to Dallas because of this.

He said that they only won the game because the sun went down and the heat was not as bad.

And then Rhea, who really didn't agree with him, actually ripped Brian Dawkins because he cramped up in the ATL game. She conveniently forgot that Warrick Dunn cramped up too.

I couldn't believe that she had the nerve to rip Dawkins.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on October 07, 2005, 08:39:39 AM
I was listening to WIP at work yesterday (can't get 950 reception there) and Cataldi was ripping the Eagles like crazy for this. He said that they're a flawed team and because Fraley was calling for oxygen and Hollis was sweating like crazy they are a team that is not is shape and he says they will lose to Dallas because of this.

He said that they only won the game because the sun went down and the heat was not as bad.

And then Rhea, who really didn't agree with him, actually ripped Brian Dawkins because he cramped up in the ATL game. She conveniently forgot that Warrick Dunn cramped up too.

I couldn't believe that she had the nerve to rip Dawkins.

You listen to them. You deserve it.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PhillyPhreak54

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PhillyPhreak54

Like I said - I cannot pick up 950 at work because of the area we're in. So it's 610 or nothing. And you've had battles with Rhea in the past when you called in, correct? :P