Jim Schwartz, Defensive Coordinator

Started by Susquehanna Birder, January 20, 2016, 08:55:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

Quote from: QB Eagles on January 20, 2016, 01:07:48 PM
he doesn't really care about giving up yards, he prioritizes things like third down stops, red zone, sacks, turnovers.

lurie isn't just trying to go back to andy thru Pederson he also hired the ghost of jim johnson
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

smeags

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Sgt PSN

Or against the pass...only twice have his defenses finished in the top 10 against the pass...which probably explains why his defenses give up a ton of points.

Susquehanna Birder

Quote from: QB Eagles on January 20, 2016, 01:07:48 PM
Schwartz said in an interview yesterday that he doesn't really care about giving up yards, he prioritizes things like third down stops, red zone, sacks, turnovers.

He also said that you don't force one scheme on players, and that you use different schemes at different times. Sounds a little like what JJ used to do. I like that Schwartz is an attacking defense guy. If it plays out that way, it should be popular with the fan base.

Sgt PSN

Unless the Eagles are able to replicate a couple of the mid/late 80s drafts when they were picking up defensive gems, I have a hard time feeling like he's going to have a consistently good, much less a dominant defense. For now, I'll just be happy that he isn't Billy Davis.

ice grillin you

im just glad he isn't a moron like pederson and will be a good quote

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

He does seem to have that going for him.

smeags

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Eagaholic

Quote from: Sgt PSN on January 20, 2016, 01:39:37 PM
Or against the pass...only twice have his defenses finished in the top 10 against the pass...which probably explains why his defenses give up a ton of points.
That's not good considering using a lot of wide nine is supposed to make the D better against the pass at the expense of the run. As I remember though, Buddy often had Clyde Simmons in a 9 technique so there's nothing inherently wrong with it. They need to get a couple of HOFers though.

QB Eagles

He's been a perfectly fine DC as long as I can remember hearing his name. Not worried about his performance. Better him than Billy Davis or Spags.

I thought he was a disaster as a HC (for reasons that shouldn't really manifest themselves while he's in an assistant role), but due to lack of head coaching talent it seems like people think he will get another shot. So he could be a one season rental. The potential for that lack of stability bothers me more than anything in Schwartz's record does.

And yeah, I think he'll be good with the media here. He's the kind of icehole who loves the back and forth.

Susquehanna Birder

Like a bunch of other coordinators in the league, he seems like a good example of the Peter Principle.

Diomedes

Had to look it up.  Can't be the only one, so here you go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_principle

The Peter principle is a concept in management theory formulated by Laurence J. Peter in which the selection of a candidate for a position is based on the candidate's performance in their current role, rather than on abilities relevant to the intended role. Thus, employees only stop being promoted once they can no longer perform effectively, and "managers rise to the level of their incompetence."
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Eagles_Legendz

Schwartz is a good hire.  You're welcome for that great insight.

Susquehanna Birder

Quote from: Diomedes on January 20, 2016, 06:39:50 PM
"managers rise to the level of their incompetence."

That's the pessimistic side of it. I like to think of a corollary where the next step is that once they fail, they drop to their last point of competent work. We see so many coordinators rise up to become head coaches, where they suck...and then they go back to the coordinator role and flourish.

DougieFresh

This was a good hire.

I believe that the Eagles should have hire Wade Phillips to replace Billy Davis two years ago, though.