Anyone seen a good movie lately?

Started by henchmanUK, December 09, 2004, 11:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: TAFKASD on June 12, 2022, 12:19:32 AM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on June 09, 2022, 02:28:03 AM
I enjoyed Hustle more than I thought I would too.

Loved seeing so many city shots and the pro cameos.

Has there ever been a movie with that many cameos? They went heavy. Definitely worth the 2 hour watch

Also why wasn't Jo in the movie? He's referenced in a trade rumor

Maybe Entourage

MDS

hustle - really kind of a bad movie wrapped in a layer of fun. like the subject matter, eons of cameos and setting made it enjoyable but the movie itself was utterly ridiculous. so adam sandler, 5'9 pudgy jew, played for temple in the 80s? yea ok. im sure chaney was recruiting jcc games. and hes a scout for the sixers but lives like a middle class union worker. hes got a 6 figure+ job with major perks. hes not living in a row home. also i love how theyre running up in the hills of manayunk without a person or car to be seen. and the italian market is dead at night. and tobias harris wouldnt be caught dead on the courts next to genos. 2.5/5 but 1/5 on the film itself

if you made it to this rant, congratulations.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

phattymatty

the average salary for an nba scout is like 30 grand lol so that part is pretty accurate.  not sure where you're coming up with six figures plus.  maybe a handful tops.  and temple sucks so yeah he definitely could have played in the 80s.  and they were running at like 430 in the morning. you would have enjoyed it more if they showed a bunch of cars driving around?   weird.   and the genos park seems kinda appropriate for tobi to hang, he's not going to any real neighborhoods courts. 

phattymatty

the new doctor strange was ok.  strange and Wanda might be my least favorite characters so I thought I would hate it.  but it was better than the first doctor strange at least.  the short x-men crossover and the multiverse avengers was kinda fun, same with the zombie stuff. I still don't love the mcu stuff that focuses so much on the multiverse which is essentially all doctor strange. 

Munson

We just watched it last night as well, I enjoyed it. I wasn't a huge Strange fan at first but I've come to like the character more, part of which is just through laughing at some of the funny scenes from the first movie with friends. I also really liked WandaVision so was curious to see what they did here.

Definitely some very Sam Raimi parts which were really cool. Zombie strange was awesome. The cameos were all fun as well, didn't expect Wanda to wreck them all that fast hah. It felt a little rushed at times but it was a lot of fun so that didn't bother me as much as it might have otherwise. Visually just a cool looking movie. I assume America Chavez will eventually play a role in the next time there's a big team up movie against whoever the inter dimensional big bad ends up being.

It's been interesting to see these marvel movies and shows all kind of remain completely unconnected outside of multiverse stuff happening in them. Definitely feels like it's going to me a whiiiiiile before we get another full on avengers style team up. All of the next few films coming out all seem like individual stories as well. Maybe Ant Man starts interconnecting some of the stories and sets up the next phase, but every other movie coming out looks like it's telling an individual story that just has multiverse stuff in it. Thor looks awesome, can't wait to see it.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

General_Failure

I assume they went with the multiverse stuff so they could incorporate the X-Men and Deadpool at some point.

The animated What If series also went heavy on Strange, the multiverse, and zombies, but it was okay background noise.

The man. The myth. The legend.

phattymatty

Quote from: Munson on June 26, 2022, 09:17:25 AM

Definitely some very Sam Raimi parts which were really cool. Zombie strange was awesome. The cameos were all fun as well, didn't expect Wanda to wreck them all that fast hah. It felt a little rushed at times but it was a lot of fun so that didn't bother me as much as it might have otherwise. Visually just a cool looking movie. I assume America Chavez will eventually play a role in the next time there's a big team up movie against whoever the inter dimensional big bad ends up being.

yeah I am curious whether any of the multiverse avengers are going to be like full time characters or if those were just one off cameos.  assuming just one offs because that would be a little much. 

I'm going to rewatch spider man tonight because Spiderman has been my favorite franchise to date, and everyone else seemed to love thew new one, but I thought it was pretty meh.  again, I guess it's the multiverse stuff that turns me off.  maybe it'll be better on second watch. 

I think the new Thor might be the most excited I've ever been for an mcu movie.  that franchise has really turned on me, mostly because ragnorok is easily the most rewatchable. 

phattymatty

Quote from: General_Failure on June 26, 2022, 10:00:29 AM

The animated What If series also went heavy on Strange, the multiverse, and zombies, but it was okay background noise.

I had these comics as a kid and loved them, didn't know it was an animated series.  will have to check it out. 

General_Failure

I'm pretty burned out on super hero movies and haven't watched much of anything after Endgame, but flipping the Thor movies from grim broodfests to disaster bisexual hijinks has been pretty enjoyable.

The man. The myth. The legend.

MDS

Quote from: phattymatty on June 26, 2022, 12:58:46 AM
the average salary for an nba scout is like 30 grand lol so that part is pretty accurate.  not sure where you're coming up with six figures plus.  maybe a handful tops.  and temple sucks so yeah he definitely could have played in the 80s.  and they were running at like 430 in the morning. you would have enjoyed it more if they showed a bunch of cars driving around?   weird.   and the genos park seems kinda appropriate for tobi to hang, he's not going to any real neighborhoods courts.

theres just no way there are dudes in their 50s working as scouts in the nba for 2 decades earing 30k. the character sandler played would be either moving on to something else or will be compensated for his longevity. im sure 20 year olds are earing 30k but with his experience...no shot.

the temple thing is even more egregious. i know you dont like sports but temple made the tourney every year in the 80s. they were one of the best programs in the country. even now when theyre garbage they still dont have 5'9 jews on the team lol
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

phattymatty

yes I was obviously joking about the temple thing.  temple does suck though.

SD

Thor Love and Thunder was not good. Had high hopes with Waititi after Ragnarok (best marvel movie imo) but they try too hard with the jokes and it comes off really corny. Other issues too but I don't want to post possible spoilers. The bad early reviews are warranted.

phattymatty

Yeah I went to my first movie at the theatre since covid to see it today.  I expected it to be similar to Ragnarok - which is awesome - but I 100% agree this one missed the mark.  Corny is the same word I used after it was over.  Just seems like they ran out of ideas or something.  I also am an MCU nerd now and I like when the movies progress other things and this is now just on it's own little path.  Not even sure this will get better on a rewatch down the line because it wasn't very funny. 

PhillyPhreak54

Looks like a good one - gotta be MKW's last role right?

https://twitter.com/phil_lewis_/status/1549808865193213953 21&t=JY96oAQOAzmGNPfNkKLWXQ

ice grillin you

Yeah that looks really good....sad tho watching him
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous