Derek Barnett, DE, Philadelphia Eagle

Started by PhillyPhreak54, April 27, 2017, 09:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eagles_Legendz

Barnett is not Marcus Smith or Danny Watkins.   

He's not a "reach".   The issue is his ceiling compared to others who were still on the board.  Someone like allen or Howard or lattimore could be top 5 and their position in 4 years.  Not sure that's true for Barnett

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on April 28, 2017, 11:42:56 AM
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 28, 2017, 11:26:58 AM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on April 28, 2017, 11:16:28 AM
Drafting for need sometimes will kill you. You know that.

yeah like taking Barnett because he is a DE

So that's only why they took him? Not because he's good? Or you just can't fathom he was the top guy on their board?

you are the one who just said go best available because need pucks can kill you...I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy in that Barnett at that spot with who was available was a 100% need pick

you're playing both sides of the fence
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

smeags

ill wait to see how the rest of the draft pans out, but Barnett isn't really a reach IMO.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

SD

They have Graham/Curry/Long at DE. Sure that position could use an upgrade, but they already have a ton of money picks (Smith was a 1st, Graham a 1st, Curry a 2nd) tied up on the D line. Barnett was maybe the 3rd or 4th best DE in the draft.

Meanwhile their CB depth is beyond laughable and the best CB was there for the taking.

MDS

curry stinks and obviously so does marcus smith. chris long give me a break.

their roster was devoid of talent at pass rushers, rb and corner. you trade up for lattimore you hurt yourself looking for a de or rb in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc.

if youre one of those people that thinks the eagles are gonna screw it up anyway, so give up the picks to get the sure thing, i get that. but in their situation, they need players.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

smeags

people kept saying how deep this draft was at CB and that there was no need to worry getting one in the 1st. I certainly know that nobody should feel ok with the DE's they had on the roster minus graham.

Idk if it was already mentioned but fwiw, ray diddy had the eagles taking Barnett.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

hunt

Quote from: smeags on April 28, 2017, 12:22:13 PM
people kept saying how deep this draft was at CB and that there was no need to worry getting one in the 1st. I certainly know that nobody should feel ok with the DE's they had on the roster minus graham.

Idk if it was already mentioned but fwiw, ray diddy had the eagles taking Barnett.

yep...de was a major need.  heck, graham isn't even all that great....what did he have...5.5 sacks last year?  they'll wind up drafting at least 2 cb's...if lattimore fell to 14, sure.  but i'm glad they didn't give up picks to move up for him & his chronic hammy issues.
lemonade was a popular drink and it still is

SD

DE is adequate. Graham is a legit NFL starter. They idiotically signed Curry to that monster deal so there's no choice but to ride him out. And Chris Long is great depth.

Meanwhile at CB you have a 2nd year 7th round pick, Patrick Robinson, perhaps the worst CB in the league, and a bunch of UDFAs who are basically practice squad fodder.

Bottom line is Barnett was always projected to go in the 15-20 range, whereas Lattimore was projected to go in the top 5-10. I don't see parting with a 3rd as a huge deal especially when you have two 4ths.

ice grillin you

I agree with you but you are focusing too much on lattimire that would have taken a trade and not on the other players they could have taken at 14 that would have been much better than Barnett

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

phattymatty

Can't believe they didn't give up number 14 this year and number 165 next year and 120 this year and 19 in 2019 for that one guy i like.

Rome

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 28, 2017, 04:27:36 PM
farging embarrassment

I know right.  Brown shoes with black pants?

WHO DOES THAT???

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 28, 2017, 04:27:36 PM
farging embarrassment

At least Lurie didn't call him, then pass him around the room to everyone