Gearhead Thread

Started by Diomedes, January 25, 2007, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mussa

thats exactly what happened. it happened so fast one sec i was fine, the next blink of an eye im way up in the air. im glad i let go, otherwise i could of brought the bike down on me.  the only other excuse i can think of is i was used to running the quad around with a thumb throttle and tight grip on the handle-bars, so when I jumped on the bike i just grabbed the throttle and at that point it was over. im going to buy a chest, back protector today...ha
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Susquehanna Birder

When I was first riding, I had a safety instructor tell me about "the death grip." It's pretty much when you start holding the throttle with your thumb and fingers pointing down, and your wrist is bent forward. The potential result of that technique is just what you described - you jerk back, and your wrist pulls the throttle down.

The better approach is to flex your hand to about 50% throttle position before you grab it. It makes full throttle something that you need to press down to achieve, and if you unintentionally get pulled back, it actually forces you to roll off the gas.

Diomedes

^^^^

This is standard technique for motorcycle/twist throttle control as taught in all beginner safety courses.  And it works. 
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

mussa

Yeaup took the course in the fall.
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Diomedes

Today I changed my oil and oil filter, removed my old monoshock and installed a sweet new Hagon monoshock, bled the brakes, changed the final drive fluid, replaced my stock air filter with a K&N, and swapped the brake pads on the rear brake.

The shock was badly needed...in fact, I didn't know how badly until I rode the bike with the new one.  Hot damn, the bike doesn't wallow around when cornering any more!  Now all I gotta do is figure out why the front end shakes when I'm heeled over, and I'll be able to ride a lot smoother and faster. 

New tires later this week. 
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Tomahawk

Where the hell can I get a shoulder screw (other than the internet)? The passenger side visor won't stay up.

Also, the car starts very rough, dies frequently (unless giving it a little gas) until warmed up, and when I get on it it almost feels like it's going to die. I'm pretty sure (98%) the carb needs replaced or I need to rebuild the current one. I was wondering if the carb caused all those problems or if I need a new fuel pump too

mussa

my buddy is a mechanic for honda motorsports and showed us how to service our 4 wheelers over the weekend. Basically changed the oil and checked the valves. Pretty cool. I also installed a pair of heel guards to help keep my feet from falling down between the tires. I already slipped off the pegs and found out the hard way. Ran over my right lower leg and jammed my left ankle on the peg.

Diomedes

Quote from: Tomahawk on August 30, 2007, 02:41:37 PM
Where the hell can I get a shoulder screw (other than the internet)? The passenger side visor won't stay up.

Also, the car starts very rough, dies frequently (unless giving it a little gas) until warmed up, and when I get on it it almost feels like it's going to die. I'm pretty sure (98%) the carb needs replaced or I need to rebuild the current one. I was wondering if the carb caused all those problems or if I need a new fuel pump too

I'm nowhere near good enough to even begin giving advice, but I have to wonder...how old is this car?  It has a carb?

Tomahawk

It's a 1972 Buick Riviera with a 455 engine 4 bbl carb. It only dies right after starting it up and waiting for it to warm up. I think the carb needs rebuilt because it sounds/feels like it's loading up and apparently the old q-jets are notorious for that. I just can't keep from wondering if the fuel pump may be playing a role in what ails it as well.

Diomedes

Tomahawk

I'm pretty sure that's a '71, but yeah pretty much the same thing (both are much better than the '73).

Looks like a big boat that people like to make fun of and assume is slow, but it's fun to drive, fast enough, and as soon as I rebuild the carb and put in a new intake manifold, I'm going to start going through enough gas to deplete the world's supply.

PhillyPhanInDC

Ha! Quadrajets! I have a 70 GS 455, and the Quadrajets are a pain in the ass. Sounds like a choke problem with the idle when cold, how does it start and run when there is heat in the motor? The wide open throttle problem sounds like it's leaning out. Does it have mechanical or vacuum secondaries? Could just be a bad diaphram. If it's the original carb, has never been off, it most definately needs a rebuild.

With 455, or any other "fat" Buick motor, the temptation to throw a Holley on it normally results in other problems. I would look around and see if there is anywhere local that can reubuild the carb, if you've done carbs before, you can give it a swing, but a Quadrajet can real be a headache. The rebuild kits are pretty cheap.

Also, if you want to throw it a bone, give this site a look, used a lot of there stuff in the past, including a cam they sell called the "Hemi Killer". If you have money to blow, get the fuel injection.

http://www.taperformance.com/
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Tomahawk

Even though it will be the first time, I'm going to try to rebuild it (with gearheard friends watching). It has vacuum secondaries, but I just replaced all the lines (and hoses and belts and weatherstripping and almost any other rubber).

The carb's never been off - other than the air filter housing and smog filter or whatever that thing was this is the original engine:

The A/C isn't hooked up because my health regimen currently consists of me sweating out the toxins.

rjs246

Quote from: Diomedes on August 30, 2007, 05:44:54 PM

Goddamn. Gas prices or no gas prices. I would take those 9 miles a gallon with pleasure.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: Tomahawk on August 30, 2007, 09:51:43 PM
Even though it will be the first time, I'm going to try to rebuild it (with gearheard friends watching). It has vacuum secondaries, but I just replaced all the lines (and hoses and belts and weatherstripping and almost any other rubber).

The carb's never been off - other than the air filter housing and smog filter or whatever that thing was this is the original engine:

The A/C isn't hooked up because my health regimen currently consists of me sweating out the toxins.

There is a diaphram, which name escapes me at the moment, like a four dollar part, it controls the secondaries opening. Over time it can get a small pinhole in it which will bleed off vacuum, especially at high RPM. That will cause it to fall on it's face. If money is tight, replace that first, before tearing the whole carb down. I'll go through my manuals and try to dig up the name...
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.