The Hip-Hop Thread

Started by hbionic, May 15, 2006, 05:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

Snoop Lion wants to be a sports agent

How awesome would it be to hear Snoop negotiate player contracts?  His clients would probably get paid in weed and hos. 

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Seabiscuit36

LMAO... i was just telling a coworker about Tim Dog today, and how he conned those women. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

Sgt PSN

That track is legit.  I hadn't heard from him in years.  Didn't even realize he put out an album last year until now. 

ice grillin you

hbionic

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 03, 2013, 12:07:28 AM
this should be the eagle road trip this year

http://thehowardtheatre.com/show/2013/07/19/premier-vs-pete-rock/

This almost never, ever happens right? Whoa. If you were going IGY, I would seriously consider flying out.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

ice grillin you

im ten thousand % going

hbionic

I wouldn't know what to wear.

hbionic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYzJWhyw544

IGY, what are your thoughts on this group? They're local, San Fernando Valley actually, but I liked them. They had a cool sound, they mixed in a lot of references to the era we grew up in. I thought they had a sound of their own. I only got their '2000 Fold' album. Not much more from them. They weren't ground breaking, just like a filler group who stood out just slightly.

Curious if you ever peeped them.

Sgt PSN

I liked it.  Empire Strikes Back reference ftw.  Gonna have to check out more of their stuff. 

ice grillin you

yeah im pretty familiar with them....they are listenable which is more than you can say for most y2k hip-hop but they fall into that category of independant rappers who all sound the same...one of those groups where if you hear a song by them like the one in the youtube you posted you think to yourself damn thats pretty dope...but then you listen to their album and every song sounds the same then you listen to every song and every verse sounds the same...they never switch their cadence up or have any personality...there are an innumerable amount of acts that came out from like 99-2004 who fall into this category

acts that are good and really boring all at the same time...if that makes sense

hbionic

Yep. You put it perfectly.

Exactly how I feel.

phattymatty

Yeezus

so i grabbed the leak today. personally i'm usually hit or miss on kanye, like twisted fantasy is an all-timer in my opinion...possibly the best hip hop album of the last ten years, 808s was straight garbage, and his earlier albums are all between mediocre and pretty solid.

i've only been through once so far but it has much more of an 808s vibe than twisted fantasy. some even real EDM-ish. lot of that auto-tune garbage. plus it's pretty narcissistic, if the title didn't give it away already. he even has a track called I Am God.

granted, i don't even know if this leak is what's actually going to come out tuesday, plus i only listened it once, but i can't think of a single track that might become a hit. pretty one note throughout. theres about 6-7 on twisted fantasy that i can still listen to over and over.

that being said, it's still better than 75% of the new hip hop i've heard recently. also, i'm a 12 pack in so will definitely give it a few more shots before deciding it's playback fate.

early first rating - C+

ice grillin you

nothing good ever comes from trying to be different just for the sake of being different

kayne needs to stay in his lane and realize hes not next level...stop trying to be an "artiste" and make artsy fartsy fashion show rap and make hip hop or even stadium rap...this is not you and you suck at it